PHOTOS - Latest look at Disney's Grand Floridian DVC Resort construction

jheltz27

Ag
Definitely not part of a crane.
Agreed. They didn't use a tower crane on this project that would require a base that large to support it. The supports to the 2 large cupola roof structures seems plausible but there isn't a crane left on site that could raise those to the roof and it seems far too late in the construction progress to do that. The amount of cross bracing and horizontal members at the ground make me wonder exactly what it could be. Having designed several high rise hotels it doesn't appear to be any sort of entry element or structure I've seen before.

Tom

Beta Return
Ag Agreed. They didn't use a tower crane on this project that would require a base that large to support it. The supports to the 2 large cupola roof structures seems plausible but there isn't a crane left on site that could raise those to the roof and it seems far too late in the construction progress to do that. The amount of cross bracing and horizontal members at the ground make me wonder exactly what it could be. Having designed several high rise hotels it doesn't appear to be any sort of entry element or structure I've seen before.

It's an extremely substantial assembly. And given the concrete pad they poured under it, it's obviously in its final resting place. That structure would be too much of a load to set on the concrete building they assembled. The cupolas will be built, as I said, using light gauge steel with pre-fab cupolas set on top of the roof and flashed in.

This won't be for parking golf carts, I don't think, because there doesn't appear to be room at the base to pass under it.

There is going to be a long covered walkway from this building to the transportation area of the GF. Maybe this is some huge monument that will sit at the intersection of the walkway.

Captain Chaos

They really can't know about the silo in Disneyland.
Disneyland is too obvious... They wouldn't never expect getting hit from a missile from WDW, especially with the way we talk about the incompetence in WDW, they would figure the missile silos would malfunction due to never getting the proper maintenance, and would only work 50% of the time.. :)

Tom

Beta Return
Disneyland is too obvious... They wouldn't never expect getting hit from a missile from WDW, especially with the way we talk about the incompetence in WDW, they would figure the missile silos would malfunction due to never getting the proper maintenance, and would only work 50% of the time.. :)

Now that you say that....I'm not sure it would be in our national defense's best interest to have the silo at WDW after all.

Monorail Mike

Well I guess that answers the question about the mystery structures as they appear to be gone in these latest pics. The cupola structures are up too so maybe that's what they were.

I just noticed that too. The boxes by the main entrance are now in place as the chimneys on the main building. I guess the lesson here is, next time you see a huge structure bolted to a concrete pad in WDW, don't assume it's permanent!

71jason

I feel horrible for the people who spent $$$$ to get married at the GF wedding pavilion, not only is there an eyesore next to you but also some noise, etc.

It's not as bad in person. There are walls up and the chapel is farther from construction than the pictures suggest--essentially a peninsula into the lake; also, it faces MK, not the construction site.

Mike730

I'm happy to say that the GF DVC doesn't seem to look out of place at all. Despite its proximity to the wedding pavilion, it looks great.

jHQLnl9mr27G5.JPG

jb07v4IlApP9LO.JPG

Update at OTPN

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm happy to say that the GF DVC doesn't seem to look out of place at all. Despite its proximity to the wedding pavilion, it looks great.

Update at OTPN
It depends where you're looking from. Those photos are nicely angled from the MK boat dock. However, if you're looking from Contemporary...

IMG_7282_zps65ae6a42.jpg

The DVC building looks strangely isolated from the rest of the resort. Its proximity to the Wedding Pavilion becomes even more obvious when you approach it from the Polynesian.

IMG_8402_zps3569607e.jpg

Plus, the white sand beach by GF has been reduced to practically nothing. I guess I'm still bitter that we had to lose this:

IMG_1225_zps5d0fc6f5.jpg

IMG_1230_zpsfe7ee195.jpg

Cardinals314

The customer satisfaction ratings while staying in the Floridian have decreased during the construction. I would hate to spend that much money staying in the Grand Floridian while you can hear the construction going on as well as have a view of the construction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom