PHOTOS - Latest look at Disney's Grand Floridian DVC Resort construction

COProgressFan

You can build structural steel framed buildings that will withstand hurricanes. Most of the ride, attraction and show buildings are either pre-engineered metal buildings (the old ride "warehouses" like IaSW and HM) or structural steel framed buildings (including Mermaid, BatB and much of the above-grade parts of the Mine Ride).

Going with cast-in-place concrete for the hotels is a step up - and makes for a better building for the guests in more ways than one.

Appreciate the insight into this. It's nice to have someone around here on the boards to explain the actual physical construction end to things with Disney's projects (not just in these threads), so thanks.

kane47

Does anyone know if the new GF DVC will have any dormer rooms? The way the construction is going, it looks like there is a HVAC unit running down the middle of the metal structure. Looking at the concept art there are dormers viable. Will they just be faux to keep the build looking symmetrical to the others?

Tom

Beta Return
Does anyone know if the new GF DVC will have any dormer rooms? The way the construction is going, it looks like there is a HVAC unit running down the middle of the metal structure. Looking at the concept art there are dormers viable. Will they just be faux to keep the build looking symmetrical to the others?

Based on the way they have built it, I will say no. No dormer rooms. Unless they're on the lagoon side. Nothing in these photos depicts rooms that would integrate with the roofing system.

kane47

Based on the way they have built it, I will say no. No dormer rooms. Unless they're on the lagoon side. Nothing in these photos depicts rooms that would integrate with the roofing system.
That is what I thought as well. So do you think that the dormer balconies depicted in the concept art will still be added as false fronts to keep the buildings looking uniform? Or do you think they will be left out entirely?

Tom

Beta Return
That is what I thought as well. So do you think that the dormer balconies depicted in the concept art will still be added as false fronts to keep the buildings looking uniform? Or do you think they will be left out entirely?

I think they'll be false dormers to match the other buildings. But they MAY incorporate some into Grand Villas

Tom

Beta Return
How many rooms/units will be in the DVC wing? It looks like it'll be 8-10 stories high.

It's hard to determine exactly how many units it will have, since we don't know how they'll layout Studio vs. 1-BR vs 2-BR. However, much of the building is 4 floors, then it steps up to 5 floors, and then up to 6 at the extreme wings. Those are likely going to be the Grand Villas at those 5/6 floors.

I have floorplans of BLT at home, and if I compare those to these collections of photos, I can probably guess the arrangement fairly closely, since they follow trends nowadays.

It's interesting to see that they're still using modular rooms. You can see a number of them sitting within the space, wrapped in plastic (at least that's what I assume those are).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
...perhaps they could move the Wedding Pavilion while they're at it, so it can be more secluded again....maybe between the TTC and the Contemporary with all of that open land?

Goofyernmost

That steel/aluminum rotunda structure in the first two pictures next to the DVC building, what's that going to be?
I'm not absolutely sure what rotunda you are talking about that is visible in both pictures, except the wedding chapel. There is one small rotunda looking thing in the first picture that is part of the roof of whatever that shelter looking thing is in front of the building.

Genie of the Lamp

I'm not absolutely sure what rotunda you are talking about that is visible in both pictures, except the wedding chapel. There is one small rotunda looking thing in the first picture that is part of the roof of whatever that shelter looking thing is in front of the building.

I'm talking about the one small rotunda looking thing besides the DVC building in the first picture. In other words, the latter part of your statement. I was wondering what that is going to be?

Monorail Mike

Any construction geniuses in the forums who care to weigh in on what the two heavy duty looking rectangular towers in-between the building and front entrance/valet area might be for?

Tom

Beta Return
Any construction geniuses in the forums who care to weigh in on what the two heavy duty looking rectangular towers in-between the building and front entrance/valet area might be for?

I like to think I'm fairly well versed in construction.....but I have no idea what that steel tower is for. Is there a new pool facility going in, perhaps with a water slide? I honestly don't remember, or have plans handy.

It's massive, whatever it is. That's a LOT of steel.

Monorail Mike

Yeah, with all the cross-bracing it looks like it will support some kind of vertical construction. (Ok, if anybody posts "So that's where they're moving the Sorcerer's Hat to! LOL", then I'm going back to the other thread to write more restroom jokes.)

Goofyernmost

I'm talking about the one small rotunda looking thing besides the DVC building in the first picture. In other words, the latter part of your statement. I was wondering what that is going to be?
If I had to guess, I'd say it is part of the grand entrance to the building. It looks to be pretty close to the main building itself and would serve as a drop off point and gathering place at the entrance. Just a guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom