PHOTOS - Latest look at Disney's Grand Floridian DVC Resort construction

Goofnut1980

Is it me, or does it look kinda small for a DVC? Compared to Kidani or BLT, I wonder the number of rooms it will have vs the other DVC resorts.

jt04

Is it me, or does it look kinda small for a DVC? Compared to Kidani or BLT, I wonder the number of rooms it will have vs the other DVC resorts.

I think this may be due to limited space. I am sure these will be premium priced though. Understandably.

71jason

Posting here rather than find and ressurrect the old thread, the refurb of Gaspirilla has been postponed now until (at least) January.

Goofyernmost

The poor wedding pavilion :( I'm glad I'm not getting married anytime soon
Poor indeed - it looks like a bomb went off right next door :(. I've GOT to wonder how much business the Pavilion is getting these days.

This is only what I heard...no first hand knowledge, but, I believe that the Wedding Pavilion has been closed down for the duration of the construction process. So, no business at all. :(

COProgressFan

This is only what I heard...no first hand knowledge, but, I believe that the Wedding Pavilion has been closed down for the duration of the construction process. So, no business at all. :(

That is not true. The wedding pavilion is up and fully operational. I am certain many couples, however, are choosing other locations for their ceremonies.

The Spa however, has been closed during construction, while the gym (same building) is open.

Bork Bork

Can't wait to use my points at this addition. The vibe will be different due to architectural styles, but I bet it will feel similar to the GC DVC at DLR; small, intimate, and unimposing. Those Grand Villas facing MK must cost GOBS of points!

COProgressFan

Can't wait to use my points at this addition. The vibe will be different due to architectural styles, but I bet it will feel similar to the GC DVC at DLR; small, intimate, and unimposing. Those Grand Villas facing MK must cost GOBS of points!

Seriously, I don't see that as an apt description at all. It is a very large/tall building towering over the beach and the nearby wedding pavilion, and sitting off away from the rest of the resort on its own.

I don't see how it is either small, intimate, or unimposing...

Bork Bork

Line it up against Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs and you'll see how small it is comparatively. My perspective was that of a guest staying there, not of one looking at it from the Poly beach. I concede your point on how close it is to the pavilion and water, but based on the concept art I think it'll fit in nicely when complete.

Admiral01

Premium Member
These photos probably don't add anything beyond what was already posted, but I took them yesterday on the Monorail from Poly to GF on the resort loop.
GF DVC 1.JPG
GF DVC 2.JPG
GF DVC 3.JPG
GF DVC 4.JPG
GF DVC 5.JPG
GF DVC 6.JPG

Tom

Beta Return
I love this stuff - keep the pics coming!

It always amazes me. People will be quick to knock Disney for going cheap on something, but in reality, they spend big bucks where it counts. Nobody does cast-in-place concrete construction anymore, unless they're building a parking garage...and even then it's usually pre-cast.

The way Disney builds its hotels is just about the most expensive way possible. It's durable, fireproof, sound-deadening, extremely strong - but very labor intensive and far more expensive and time consuming that bolting together structural steel.

BalooChicago

Nobody does cast-in-place concrete construction anymore

I've worked on a number of cast-in-place concrete jobs. Construction technology is very regional. In a lot of regions cast-in-place construction is very common. Among other things, cast-in-place structures are efficient in dealing with lateral forces imposed by storm events. Cast-in-place concrete can also be very efficient in terms of the structural depth required, which is why you often see it in high rise residential buildings.

alissafalco

It always amazes me. People will be quick to knock Disney for going cheap on something, but in reality, they spend big bucks where it counts. Nobody does cast-in-place concrete construction anymore, unless they're building a parking garage...and even then it's usually pre-cast.

The way Disney builds its hotels is just about the most expensive way possible. It's durable, fireproof, sound-deadening, extremely strong - but very labor intensive and far more expensive and time consuming that bolting together structural steel.

Disney has no choice but to build it this way. Unless they want it blown away with the next Florida hurricane. Most buildings in Florida are built this way. Disney would build on the cheap if they could. They just can't because of the all the Florida hurricanes.

Tom

Beta Return
Disney has no choice but to build it this way. Unless they want it blown away with the next Florida hurricane. Most buildings in Florida are built this way. Disney would build on the cheap if they could. They just can't because of the all the Florida hurricanes.

You can build structural steel framed buildings that will withstand hurricanes. Most of the ride, attraction and show buildings are either pre-engineered metal buildings (the old ride "warehouses" like IaSW and HM) or structural steel framed buildings (including Mermaid, BatB and much of the above-grade parts of the Mine Ride).

Going with cast-in-place concrete for the hotels is a step up - and makes for a better building for the guests in more ways than one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom