PHOTOS - First look inside the new Haunted Mansion gift shop - Memento Mori

jt04

If this starts a trend in specialized merchadising then I think credit might need to go to wdw1974 as tough as that is for me to say. It was one of his early complaints and seemed to have some substance to it. The praise for the shop here seems to indicate a growth area for WDW potentially.

Besides, this shop does add new meaning to the prediction of 'spirited change'.

dreamfinder

Which begs the question: what is the status of the outside merch cart now?

I do believe it was taken backstage when they opened the walkway for the tangled restrooms. At least I don't recall seeing it last trip. Wouldn't strike me as having enough room with that swath of land opened up for a walkway.

hokielutz

Except for the whole "could have been inside catacombs at the exit of the ride rather than mostly restocking an existing store location somewhat near the attraction" part.

I'm not complaining... There's a BUNCH of stuff in this store that I want. And it seems to be all attraction specific, which is AWESOME. But as usual, the best and biggest plans were left in the dust in favor of the easy money grab.

Sorry if I am late to this discussion, but with 9 days left until our flight to MCO... well you know.

There probably is/was an opportunity to put the gift shop right at the exit or next to the catacombs... but it would be a very tight fit to shoehorn a shop in there.
Drawbacks I'd see from this would be:
  • The existing trees & green-scaping would have to come out, exposing the show building and making the front of the Mansion look out of place without the taller & older trees framing the front facade.
  • Mansion purists would be up in arms of the merchandising that is so close to the beloved attraction.
  • Pet Cemetery would be razed.... :mad:. I'd likely go postal if this disappeared.
But overall.... we get a specialty store just for the Mansion and it preserves the attraction. (excl. the interactive queue)

hth1917

Too bad they didn't get the t-shirt right. It should have looked like this:

ghshirt_zps7bed2f82.jpg

alphac2005

Ride specific merchandise available in abundance.... Not too shabby! Disney has been doing plenty wrong for quite some time in Florida, but hopefully this is a sign of things to come with park, ride, area, etc. specific merchandise again. Just maybe they'll see that people will increase their average sales ticket per transaction because they actually have a variety of product to buy and the financial gurus will see that more unique products adds to their margins, doesn't decrease them. (Spoken like someone in B2B and B2C for far too long. :) )

Mawg

I would be tempted to spend money here, nice job! Anyone know when on ride photos will be out or are they already? This is a ride I would really like to have my on ride photo for.

BoarderPhreak

Funny how fast they get DVC booths and gift shops built (all things considered). Just sayin'. :p

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see this one.

RivieraJenn

Now that's very definitely without a doubt the absolutely most depressing and bleak giftshop name in the history of Disney parks, Memento Mori - Remember that you have to die! Thanks a lot.

In addition to the literal translation, memento mori also refers to the Victorian practice of taking photos of the dead. Since photography was relatively new and very expensive, many people, particularly children or people who died young, would not have the opportunity to have a portrait made in life. So relatives had photographs made of and with the deceased as a way to remember them. Considering the you-as-a-ghost photo souvenir opportunity inside, the name really fits perfectly!

dreamfinder

Can we buy these items online?

Interested in the busts and the plaque.

Or, dagnabit, do I need to plan a trip? Sigh . . . :)

It looks like at least some of the same merch is online. www.disneystore.com and search for Haunted Mansion. Not sure if it was existing merch that was already there, or if some of the new merch is online. The other option would be to call the Merchandise Line (number should be on any of your merch receipts or Google It). They will sell you pretty much anything available in parks over the phone (no food, and usually LE stuff only after 30 days). Shipping rate are the same as if you shipped it home from the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom