PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

GrammieBee

The more you see new concept art of the Poly lobby, the more you realize it is a sterilized, modernized version of what some think Polynesia should be like. If the old lobby was a master painting by Gaugan, the new lobby is a generic work of art done for large hotel chains.

Out with the old, in with the new! Hoorah! I guess us old timers just have to get with it.

Communicore

Posting this from Poly and it is so sad. Instead of being greeted by the amazing waterfall you are staring at this wall. Also the waterfall can be heard from behind and it just makes you want to tear down these walls to see it again.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

note2001

note2001

I understand them needing to make the lobby more open with more guests coming/going, but still think they should have redesigned the waterfall fountain to simply have a smaller footprint, keep 2 sides to the waterfall, the height, the influence of plants. Oh well, they needed change and we have to roll along with it.

Surprise us with something incredible Disney. Surprise us.

Cesar R M

Soarin' Over Pgh

Thank you Communicore, I 'liked' that you shared the current construction photos with us, do not 'like' the event.

This, exactly. Thanks for the pics.

I understand them needing to make the lobby more open with more guests coming/going, but still think they should have redesigned the waterfall fountain to simply have a smaller footprint, keep 2 sides to the waterfall, the height, the influence of plants. Oh well, they needed change and we have to roll along with it.

Surprise us with something incredible Disney. Surprise us.

And this. I get it, more people, more walking room. Whatever. But to dismantle the best part of the lobby is such a huge sacrifice.

Vote with your wallets on this one, people.

Spike-in-Berlin

I'll make a point of visiting the Poly just to see the fountain (and get a Lapu Lapu while I'm at it) when I'm there in 16 days. Will probably be the last time I'll get to see it with the fountain.
Sorry, but if tikiman was right the area is already walled up and gutted.

tikiman

Sorry, but if tikiman was right the area is already walled up and gutted.

Someone posted on another Polynesian fan page that it was all closed and shut off but it was not correct. Only the second floor is closed off and the water is still going. They did drain it a few weeks ago but they started it back up soon after. It will be about another week sounds like before they are done closing it off on the first floor.

Prof Ecks

Maybe i missed this, if so, my apologies. But in the new conceptual art for Sam's Grog Grotto, all those masks on the wall make me wonder if they are going to use the talking masks from the Adventurer's Club...all the happy guests are looking up at that guy above them like he is interacting with them...probably wishful thinking but thought I would ask.

Slowjack

Because that's what a lot of Disney guests look like? It wouldn't be very good concept art if wasn't realistic.
Actually, I feel like good concept art isn't realistic. The concept art from the old guys like Herb Ryman and John Hench usually isn't intended to be realistic, but rather to transport the imagination and evoke an emotional response. I'm sure strollers and bad socks will be omnipresent in the real lobby, but I don't think it belongs in art that's intended to excite hotel-goers.

Bairstow

Actually, I feel like good concept art isn't realistic. The concept art from the old guys like Herb Ryman and John Hench usually isn't intended to be realistic, but rather to transport the imagination and evoke an emotional response. I'm sure strollers and bad socks will be omnipresent in the real lobby, but I don't think it belongs in art that's intended to excite hotel-goers.

That depends on what the original purpose of this art was.
Some concept art is functional rather than promotional, with the intent to give decision-makers a clearer idea of what the proposed construction will look like, particularly if multiple plans or versions are proposed.

morningstar

This is concept art they released to the public. That suggests the purpose is to get the public to approve of their design. Specifically, the audience is their future guests, many of whom like to wear shorts and knee-high socks on their vacation. Seeing someone like themselves in the art makes them more likely to approve of it.

Cosmic Commando

Posting this from Poly and it is so sad. Instead of being greeted by the amazing waterfall you are staring at this wall. Also the waterfall can be heard from behind and it just makes you want to tear down these walls to see it again.View attachment 53829
Imagine somebody that walked into the Poly for the first time that day: "Gee, Honey! This lobby is gonna be great once they finish building that big waterfall behind that wall there!"

Mike S

I stopped by the Poly and ate at Ohana for the first time earlier this year. The waterfall was a really great part of it, I'm sad to see it go :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom