PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Slowjack

My goodness. Setting aside, for the moment, whether these pieces suggest the Poly is going to look good after the redesign, couldn't Disney put out better looking concept art? Why on earth would you put a guy with a stroller with dark calf-high socks going into sneakers in the foreground of the lobby concept of a very expensive hotel (honestly, he looks like he was Photoshopped in and colored over)? Why are the guests at Trader Sam's depicted with broken necks and loony grins? I'm pretty sure I'm going to prefer the current Poly over the new Poly, but I'm also pretty sure better art could at least make me like the new design a lot better.

JohnD

I'll make a point of visiting the Poly just to see the fountain (and get a Lapu Lapu while I'm at it) when I'm there in 16 days. Will probably be the last time I'll get to see it with the fountain.

kkocka

thats her...I wonder if they released these from the blacklash in hopes of appeasing some people or if it was planned this way from the start.

Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management (premier of the goddess Uh Oa!) ---> Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar (premier of the drink named after her) ---> Trader Sam's Grog Grotto (returns to relevance)

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, I do have to say that was probably the best AA in the show..Good to see they are bringing her back..
tiki-room-disney-425246.jpg

Communicore

"You'll feel you have arrived in a relaxing South Seas kind of experience," said Tom Wolber, senior vice president for resort operations.

In a generic Holiday Inn-ish kind of way I guess.

"I think this will provide a lot of relief and open space and give everybody enough room," said Debbie Petersen, creative development executive for Walt Disney Imagineering.

That's what we need. More and more room!!

morningstar

Honestly, everyone here is going by a piece of concept art and pure speculation. Yes the water feature is going away. But no one has any idea of what is in store for the GCH (unless you want to post some blueprints). If you want to express your unhappiness with them removing it fine. But at least keep an open mind until you see what is built.

That's generally a good policy. But what should we really expect? There is nothing interesting in the concept art. Sometimes they have an idea and execute it really well. Sometimes what looked like a great design comes out blah. But are we to expect that they will surprise us with something great that wasn't in the concept art?

I hold out some hope that there will be an amazing addition outside the lobby, but I just wonder if that's the case, why they didn't show off the concept art for that first.

Yes it could be because they wanted to cheap out, but it could be for all we know the water feature was contributing to mold that made cast members who worked in the building sick. (if that's the case would it really be worth it over someones health?)

So demolish the whole GCH and build it anew. They've managed to make it work for almost 40 years. They can build a new one that will last at least that long. It's like the yeti. "Oh, yeah, it's just too much work to maintain, so just shut it off. What are we gonna replace it with? I guess the cheapest option would be nothing."

Last edited:

Cesar R M

My goodness. Setting aside, for the moment, whether these pieces suggest the Poly is going to look good after the redesign, couldn't Disney put out better looking concept art? Why on earth would you put a guy with a stroller with dark calf-high socks going into sneakers in the foreground of the lobby concept of a very expensive hotel (honestly, he looks like he was Photoshopped in and colored over)? Why are the guests at Trader Sam's depicted with broken necks and loony grins? I'm pretty sure I'm going to prefer the current Poly over the new Poly, but I'm also pretty sure better art could at least make me like the new design a lot better.
what if that is actually the new target demographic for the poly hotel?
yikes.. the stroller warrior..

Bairstow

My goodness. Setting aside, for the moment, whether these pieces suggest the Poly is going to look good after the redesign, couldn't Disney put out better looking concept art? Why on earth would you put a guy with a stroller with dark calf-high socks going into sneakers in the foreground of the lobby concept of a very expensive hotel (honestly, he looks like he was Photoshopped in and colored over)?

Because that's what a lot of Disney guests look like? It wouldn't be very good concept art if wasn't realistic.
Just be glad most of the people in the pictures aren't depicted as being grossly overweight.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Those are actual photos from the future that are then softened and colored over. Ever since I've completed my time machine, I've earned literally, hundreds of dollars doing this kind of work for Disney.

jmmc

Yeah, it kind of looks like the artist was sneaking a joke in there by showing a goofy looking tourist. Or I suppose it's meant to be realistic. :D

Bocabear

Adding in what looks like the animatronic from the Tiki room and what looks like the masks from the Adventurers club has me somehow optimistic about Trader Sam's...the lobby... well...it just looks like a wide open lobby with a little Polynesian flair...not the landmark lobby that is was....and usually concept art is designed to inform and romance what is coming... not just be a literal representation... what has me worried is they are considering this art as the "romance of the idea"... Maybe Joe Rohde will take a look at the plans and help them give a little more style...

dupac

what if that is actually the new target demographic for the poly hotel?
yikes.. the stroller warrior..

If I could photoshop, I'd take the logo for the show American Ninja Warrior and change it to American Stroller Warrior.

I can see it now... having to weave in and out of obstacles, jump hurdles, etc, to reach the Anna & Elsa M&G first!

More on topic, I'm excited to see the final Grog Grotto product. How does the outdoor seating at Trader Sam's work with the overall theme? Do you lose something sitting outside?

Bocabear

The outside usually has entertainment and tiki torches, but IMO there is not quite enough theme outside...I am hoping they will fix this with the WDW version...make the outside seating just as engaging and fun as the interior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom