News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

tirian

Have there been any valid insider tips on what the higher ups think of this new paint scheme? Whether it’s likely to stay for the long term or not? I’d be very interested to know their thoughts! 🤨
No idea, but today two of my former coworkers called me from the MK and railed against how bad it looks in person. There’s no way execs don’t notice.

Maybe the bigger question is whether anyone cares. Now it matches the movie castle and the Generic Magic Fantasyland Castle merch. In Chapek’s company, that’s more important than artistic integrity.

Animaniac93-98

Maybe the bigger question is whether anyone cares. Now it matches the movie castle and the Generic Magic Fantasyland Castle merch. In Chapek’s company, that’s more important than artistic integrity.

Much like "The Castle of Magical Dreams" or "Enchanted Storybook Castle", "Disney Castle Florida" is now slathered in gold and saturated colours, making "authentically Disney, distinctly Chinese" and I'm sure Iger is thrilled.

LittleBuford

It follows a similar pattern to how Disney has designed their castles in China since 2010.

As others have pointed out, the colour scheme is rather reminiscent of Sleeping Beauty Castle as well as the Walt Disney Pictures castle, neither of which has anything to do with China.

It pains me to say it, but Cinderella Castle is currently the gaudiest of the lot (at least as far as I can tell from photographs).

ImperfectPixie

As others have pointed out, the colour scheme is rather reminiscent of Sleeping Beauty Castle as well as the Walt Disney Pictures castle, neither of which has anything to do with China.

It pains me to say it, but Cinderella Castle is currently the gaudiest of the lot (at least as far as I can tell from photographs).
I prefer the old color scheme...I loved that "ours" was unique.

ETA: I also think it looked more elegant.

ImperfectPixie

I've nothing against pink in principle, and I actually quite liked the concept art. What we've been left with, however, looks quite unlike what the artwork promised. I hope we go back to something like the old scheme one day.
Honestly, I'm rather snobby when it comes to castles...if they don't look like they're made out of natural stone, I feel very much like they look too much like a toy...and the pink is reminiscent of a Barbie play-house.

LittleBuford

Honestly, I'm rather snobby when it comes to castles...if they don't look like they're made out of natural stone, I feel very much like they look too much like a toy...reminiscent of a Barbie play-house.

I hail from the Old World and grew up seeing real castles, so the Disney versions have always looked artificial to me. :)

ETA: Which is why the castle in Disneyland Paris is so stylised. They realised there was no point in trying to make it look authentic in such a setting.

Disney4family

If they can bring Tomorrowland back to the '70s, why couldn't they have just cleaned up the castle and made it look as bright and beautiful as it did in the '70s?
If you're gonna go retro, go full-force retro.
(and I would love it if they brought back the original bridge to Adventureland - I know, I know, they can't with today's ECVs and strollers - although my kids used to love being pushed over that in their little umbrella strollers)
1598873737549.png

_caleb

If they can bring Tomorrowland back to the '70s, why couldn't they have just cleaned up the castle and made it look as bright and beautiful as it did in the '70s?
If you're gonna go retro, go full-force retro.
(and I would love it if they brought back the original bridge to Adventureland - I know, I know, they can't with today's ECVs and strollers - although my kids used to love being pushed over that in their little umbrella strollers)
View attachment 494020
Camouflaged with the sky and clouds!

yensidtlaw1969

Can you elaborate on this? I'm having trouble finding visual reference for what the bridge to Adventureland looked like originally, I don't think I knew it was meaningfully different from what it is today. Though I do remember the Bridge to Liberty Square used to be arched, was it like that?

Disney4family

Can you elaborate on this? I'm having trouble finding visual reference for what the bridge to Adventureland looked like originally, I don't think I knew it was meaningfully different from what it is today. Though I do remember the Bridge to Liberty Square used to be arched, was it like that?
The Adventureland bridge had the slight arch. It was removed.

"The main entrance into Adventureland is via a wooden bridge radiating off of the Hub. Up until a few years ago, this bridge was arched to allow the Swan Boats (1972-1983) to pass beneath. The bridge’s wooden planks were also ribbed to reduce guests slipping when the walkway was wet. This made for a noisy and difficult journey for those in a wheelchair or pushing a stroller. However, when age dictated that the bridge be completely rebuilt, this arch was removed and the ribbing eliminated."

LittleBuford

From all the pictures I've seen of the new look, I absolutely hate it. Cinderella's Castle is not pink. And why does the castle need a new look?? There's nothing wrong with a classic.

I don’t like the colours either, but as regards the bolded, the castle has never much resembled the one in the film. We identify it as Cinderella’s only because that’s what it’s called; it actually looks much more like the castle in Sleeping Beauty.

_caleb

In the movie it's really all white. Here's a day and another night shot

View attachment 494807

View attachment 494808

The other hues of blue, and sometimes pink come from changes in lighting to fit the mood of certain scenes.
Yeah- I deliberately left these out in favor of the pink and blue ones. Not sure which are meant to be the "true" colors, but I think the animated castle is beautiful in any "lighting!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom