Photos and Video - New UK Pavilion band - The English Channel

Texas84

I approve. It will probably take a while to figure out an act. Nice to hear some Clash. Have they played Rock the Casbah yet? :D

WDWGoof07

Just watched the video - the band sounds good. The variety of artists covered by these guys versus the old British Invasion is a welcome change. (The idea that Led Zeppelin and The Who are nobodies compared to the Beatles in this day and age is silly.) A wardrobe change to something more identifiably British is certainly in order, but that's an easy change and a minor quibble. Kudos to the band and TDO for what looks to be a solid replacement.

Devin36

I totally dig the variety of british bands they cover....they seem like they are still working out kinks in the different sets....seems they play certain songs with backing tracks.....or there are hidden musicians & singers playing parts...likely the former. I look forward to checking them out on my next visit in 1-2 years...which at that point they should be super tight...

mickeymatt

^ I agree with this. This new band will get me to go to see that pavillion more than the British Invasion did. I consider myself extremely well-versed in all types of music, and I appreciate anything except country. But I can probably only name 5 songs by the Beatles. Led Zeppelin and The Who and Queen are a much bigger draw for anyone under 35.

With all due respect anyone "extremely well-versed in all types of music" ought to be able to name more than 5 Beatles songs. IMHO

PalisadesPkteer

For me it is not which songs you play or from what era the songs are necessarily from.

It is also about presentation, instrument playing ability and flat out ability to sing if you are a band.

They are good it seems at playing instruments. But the singing and presentation are not impressive to me in the least IMHO.

Playing newer songs etc mixed with older songs is fine. But play the whole song before going to the next one. And for heavens sakes, playing in EPCOT in basically a white T shirt etc. If you put a GOOD band in there who can sing and have good presentation (2 of the reasons British Invasion was enjoyable) then you are set.

This band fails on presentation and singing ability IMHO. It has nothing to do with which songs are played. They do not appear to have enough talent for Disney.

Now if they were at a local fair or Six Flags then they might be OK.

scbb11Sketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbb11Sketch
^ I agree with this. This new band will get me to go to see that pavillion more than the British Invasion did. I consider myself extremely well-versed in all types of music, and I appreciate anything except country. But I can probably only name 5 songs by the Beatles. Led Zeppelin and The Who and Queen are a much bigger draw for anyone under 35.

With all due respect anyone "extremely well-versed in all types of music" ought to be able to name more than 5 Beatles songs. IMHO
And I disagree. That's why music is such a subjective thing. I enjoyed the video of the new band and I could name every song they did. But that's one of the things about the generation under 30-35. I don't feel like the Beatles have translated to them. Most guys I know listen to rock, alternative, or rap. Most girls listen to top 40, pop, or more underground rock that you'd hear at Pitchfork. I do not see a large percentage of young people listening to the Beatles. I think most of the people on here are older and blind to the fact that they're favorite sons of yesterday have failed to translate to newer generations. But like I said, it's subjective.

captainkidd

:veryconfu

Gracy_hm

Well

I for one think they are a okay band seemed poorly rehearsed or nervous. They guy who started singing with the lower range didn't put anything into the performance. No singing out and his range is...well he doesn't have one. The guy signing Led Zep has range and heart but he wasn't putting it into this performance if they won't put heart behind their music and sing like its their last words on this earth before death it will be a LUKE WARM performance from a QUALIFIED set of musicians. Also though the more the songs are sang by this group the more they will be able to hit those notes and gain confidence.

The only other option is for Disney to find the best musicians on the wdwmagic form to put their music where there money is or something of that nature...

And in this hypothetical wild west style WdW showdown I will cling my boots upon that dusty town square in front of UK pavilion and we shall duel through rhythmic persuasions.

Good night everyone!

I love you yeti

I love you Cast members who smile for 8 hours straight and handle some very silly repetitive questions over and over again. (BTW I WANT TO SEE FANTASMIC. IF FANTASMIC ISNT HAPPENING TONIGHT I WILL NEVER COME BACK TO WDW THE MAGIC WILL BE GONE FOREVER!)

Goodnight message board I think some of you are English. I love you and I am confused why the Royal Wedding seemed a bigger deal here in the US then in the UK. EDIT:I am also angry you have Channel 4 I have to you tube my Derren Brown

Goodnight Steve Thank you for watching my video

Goodnight Lee and Raven I never write you I just read you posts and speculate silently.

Goodnight JT people get mad at you but every Star Trek must have a Q (that is not an insult Q is the coolest!)

Goodnight Harry Potter I am secretly threatened by your existence at a non Disney Property

Lastly

Good night THE ENGLISH CHANNEL I hope you blossom into your full potential thought you had some great songs but the bass/singer was a touch weak vocally.

Goodnight EVERYONE!

See you real soon.:eek:

dave&di

I don't understand the problem, no one has paid to see these guys in concert. I would be happy to spend 25 minutes listening to them, I visit Epcot/World Showcase for many many other reasons than to critic a few guys singing. When at WDW I am happy and relaxed and take things how they are. Next time I go in Sept 2012 I will be grateful to be relaxing in the UK Pavillion enjoying good drink, good company listening to a bit of music! Simple!

dave&di

I for one think they are a okay band seemed poorly rehearsed or nervous. They guy who started singing with the lower range didn't put anything into the performance. No singing out and his range is...well he doesn't have one. The guy signing Led Zep has range and heart but he wasn't putting it into this performance if they won't put heart behind their music and sing like its their last words on this earth before death it will be a LUKE WARM performance from a QUALIFIED set of musicians. Also though the more the songs are sang by this group the more they will be able to hit those notes and gain confidence.

The only other option is for Disney to find the best musicians on the wdwmagic form to put their music where there money is or something of that nature...

And in this hypothetical wild west style WdW showdown I will cling my boots upon that dusty town square in front of UK pavilion and we shall duel through rhythmic persuasions.

Good night everyone!

I love you yeti

I love you Cast members who smile for 8 hours straight and handle some very silly repetitive questions over and over again. (BTW I WANT TO SEE FANTASMIC. IF FANTASMIC ISNT HAPPENING TONIGHT I WILL NEVER COME BACK TO WDW THE MAGIC WILL BE GONE FOREVER!)

Goodnight message board I think some of you are English. I love you and I am confused why the Royal Wedding seemed a bigger deal here in the US then in the UKGoodnight Steve Thank you for watching my video

Goodnight Lee and Raven I never write you I just read you posts and speculate silently.

Goodnight JT people get mad at you but every Star Trek must have a Q (that is not an insult Q is the coolest!)

Goodnight Harry Potter I am secretly threatened by your existence at a non Disney Property

Lastly

Good night THE ENGLISH CHANNEL I hope you blossom into your full potential thought you had some great songs but the bass/singer was a touch weak vocally.

Goodnight EVERYONE!

See you real soon.:eek:

It wasn't :dazzle:

Gracy_hm

It wasn't :dazzle:

Oy ve! Too much :brick:

You make a good point about it not being the motivation to go to Epcot t see these guys I think everyone, myself included, just want everything perfectly to our liking, EVERYTHING. I mean they could update the bathrooms in Norway new tile would be nice. It never ends honestly. So my critique was really nit picking something that is a non issue at any rate but boy do I love typing!

dave&di

Oy ve! Too much :brick:

You make a good point about it not being the motivation to go to Epcot t see these guys I think everyone, myself included, just want everything perfectly to our liking, EVERYTHING. I mean they could update the bathrooms in Norway new tile would be nice. It never ends honestly. So my critique was really nit picking something that is a non issue at any rate but boy do I love typing!

Once I start rambling I can't stop! I spend most my life being stressed, up tight and moaning about the state of the world, so when on vacation at WDW I couldn't be happier! :p

I agree with you to an extent. Nothing comes close to the popularity of the Beatles, and no other bands transcend generations the way they do. But I think zeppelin and the Who are two of the most important bands of the 20th century, so it will be nice for young people to get turned on to bands like that, but it was a bad move replacing the Beatles act.

This new act also really has no cohesiveness. The British Invasion really played up the parts, stayed in character, the whole show had a common theme, whether it was Sgt. Pepper-era, or Ed Sullivan days. These new dudes just seem like a bunch of...if I may...Jabronis....rocking out on stage.

Sorry Disney, I try not to complain often, but this was a bad call. :( I'll miss the British Invasion!

^ This...

I enjoy Epcot entertainment for the uniqueness (i.e., MoRockin', Off Kilter, the Japanese drumming [can't remember their names], and The British Invasion). These guys are nothing more than a house band playing British music. They're not even staying "true" to the original -- they're adding their own spins (i.e., the drummer is doing his own licks versus staying true to the original).

I agree with Rod that this was a bad call by Disney.

captainkidd

I enjoy Epcot entertainment for the uniqueness (i.e., MoRockin', Off Kilter, the Japanese drumming [can't remember their names], and The British Invasion). These guys are nothing more than a house band playing British music. They're not even staying "true" to the original -- they're adding their own spins (i.e., the drummer is doing his own licks versus staying true to the original).

Exactly.

I don't get what people don't understand about this.

stratman50th

Wonder when the last time all the resident music critics actually went to a gig, excluding seeing "acts" at Epcot.
As a musician on stage, or as an audience member?
Sadly on stage, about 15 years ago, maybe longer, it tends to blur, but I do go and see concerts of my favorite artists 3 to 4 times a year. Many of whom you all probably have never heard of.
That being said, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what kind of music everybody likes or should like. My comments were based on stage presence, and musical ability. They could play Alvin and the Chipmunks covers for all I care, I just want them to do it well. Getting a full time gig at World Showcase isn't the place to learn your trade and get tight. That takes place in the basement, garage, or practice room. You get better playing out at the local bar, club or battle of the bands (Never Pay To Play!!!!).

The D.T.C.

Boring.......

All that is missing behind the UK Pavillion now is a wedding in progress. A wedding band that plays the gig dressed like they would for practice in the basement. Come on Disney, wake up.

dreamscometrue

So, I've read all the posts, and although I respect everyone's right to express, let's have all the 'naysyaers' try something:

You are in charge of Epcot entertainment, and one of your best acts gives notice that they are leaving (Disney did not initiate this) after 15 years. A group of creative people, led (no Zeppelin pun intented :)) by you, have been sitting around a table drinking coffee and tossing around ideas, but you get the final call. What exactly would you put there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom