Photo Slide Show on Spaceship Earth

skipperg

Original Poster
After the 4th of July Illuminations and Extended 4th of July Fireworks they were showing various photos related to the United States. Some were of the United States Capital, The American Bald Eagle, The US Flag, etc. In asking an Epcot Cast Member if this was just for the 4th of July he claimed it was in testing and from the response of those in attendance it may become a feature in the future.

Since we are staying at the WDW and only have a phone connection I will post some of my photos from it when I return home on Friday!

Joe

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You mean as in projection onto the geosphere? North side (facing World Showcase I assume?) Cool - reminds me of the old laser globe projection after Original Illuminations.

Thanks for such a quick post!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Joe! Was it photo-realistic imagery or laser based? Did you see where the source was being projected from?

SirNim

Maybe it's the same technology being used for Sleeping Beauty Castle...

But I of course would fancy lasers more... ;)

goofyguy

They were actual photos, not laser images. Some of the images worked better than others. The landscapes -- Seattle skyline (I think), San Fransisco Bay, etc. -- were a bit hard to make out. The U.S. flag, however, was amazing. A few of the other images I remember -- The Capital Building, The Statue of Liberty, a Native American, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore, a sunset/sunrise (possibly of someplace we were supposed to recognize, but it wasn't clear), a bald eagle, and a man on a horse.

There were more, but that's all I can remember. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, although I'm pretty sure I would have also needed a tripod for any of the images to come out. (I did enjoy the large number of people taking flash pictures of the slide show).

Anyway, I do hope it's something they continue in the future.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I've always thought they were missing out on a huge opportunity by not projecting "something" on SE. It's such a big canvas...at least light it up with different colors during the show to correspond with the fireworks. It's such a focal point, it'd be easy to integrate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess it would make sense to project from the top of the old lounge - video can`t travel anywhere near as far as laser light of course.

BTW - here are some shots from the old Illuminations post show

Attachments

• SE 90 laser1.jpg
    SE 90 laser1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 227
  • SE 90 laser2.jpg
    SE 90 laser2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 206

StevenT

Those images look fantastic. I hope they make that a regular thing. I especially liked the capitol building picture.

Mission: SPACE

Definately impressive... I'm sure this is some of the same technology being used on Sleeping Beauty's Castle next year. That's awesome...

Marni1971.. I LOVE looking at your photo album! you've always got great vintage pics! Keep em coming! Thanks for your effort!

wannab@dis

Those are awesome!!

I also hope they continue this so I can experience it on our next trip. That would be great for the long and crowded trip out of the park after Illuminations!

SirNim

WOW!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking aboot! :lol: :sohappy:

Impressive indeed.... it'll be permanent (in the Disney sense of the word)...

Gotta love projections on SE! Lasers or otherwise; otherwise in this case, but still very neat. :sohappy:

TinkerBell9988

That looks AMAZING!!!! :sohappy:

I hope they will use that in the future, that would make an awesome addition to Reflections of Earth! A post show, a pre-show, an any show... this is so cool!

Thanks for all the pics :D

Mission: SPACE

I was looking at those pictures again, and it's amazing how nice SSE looks at night without that wand illuminated... Maybe it's a sign of times to come (hope so).

I remember years ago when they would use the lasers around the World Showcase to project the outlines of the continents on the globe. The outlines would spin as if the entire Spaceship Earth attraction was rotating.

I always thought this was a great effect and cannot fathom why they discontinued it.

Anyone else remember this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom