PHOTO - NextGen RFID entry system installed at the Haunted Mansion

celluloid

Sad these days what is considered 'news' around the most visited resort in the world. All this and we are still years without a new original E-ticket and the attractions already there getting cutbacks or falling apart.

lazyboy97o

Is NextGen going to be WDW only, or are they going to roll it out to DL in the near future as well?
Probably depends on how much of a mess the system makes. We might see aspects of FastPass Plus at the Disneyland Resort, but I would not expect much. Before Star Tours: The Adventures Continue opened last year, I think the last attraction to open with FastPass was Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in 2005, whose FastPass machines are the ones being used for Star Tours. Neither Toy Story Midway Mania! nor The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure have FastPass but each does/will in Walt Disney World. Luigi's Flying Tires and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree likely would have had FastPass too if Cars Land were at Walt Disney World.

ExtinctJenn

So there will be poles and computer screens everywhere,
How have I managed to not hear anything about computer screens everywhere? What is that part of? I know about the poles I think. Those tiny, what, maybe 3-foot tall, skinny blue things with cute little Mickey heads on them right? I think the actual gigantic rectangular boxes that give out paper FPs today are a little more intrusive to the experience but that's just one person's opinion. :)

MAF

RFID is the worst thing that could have ever happened to WDW. Instead of investing the money into new attractions, they are investing it into this disaster known as "next gen". What a mess...

flynnibus

Premium Member
How have I managed to not hear anything about computer screens everywhere? What is that part of? I know about the poles I think. Those tiny, what, maybe 3-foot tall, skinny blue things with cute little Mickey heads on them right? I think the actual gigantic rectangular boxes that give out paper FPs today are a little more intrusive to the experience but that's just one person's opinion. :)

The earlier FP+ test had kiosk like systems to check and display information.. and CMs had iPads as well acting as the interface at the attractions.

ExtinctJenn

The earlier FP+ test had kiosk like systems to check and display information.. and CMs had iPads as well acting as the interface at the attractions.
Ok the iPads I knew about but I had no idea about the kiosks... sounds kind of like the World Key Kiosk concept brought back into the current century! Maybe a nice tool for folks who don't have an iOS or Android device to use the new app? I'd think as long as you don't see every walkway lined with them, and assuming the paper FP machines will eventually be done away with, it might not be so bad.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Endor Sightseer, I thought that someone mentioned that those blue ones were only for testing, and the actual units would be themed to the proper area. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final result is later on.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm more curious to see how they will deal with classic FP problems like line hoppers.

The reason they take your FP at merge and not the entrance is to combat line hoppers. If all you have is a wristband, etc.. its not going to be possible to do a quick visual scan. So are they going to put another person and reader at merge too? Curious to see their workflows on this..

lazyboy97o

I'm more curious to see how they will deal with classic FP problems like line hoppers.

The reason they take your FP at merge and not the entrance is to combat line hoppers. If all you have is a wristband, etc.. its not going to be possible to do a quick visual scan. So are they going to put another person and reader at merge too? Curious to see their workflows on this..
Heck, how much complaining/lying that "My phone isn't working right" and they'll just let somebody through? A paper ticket is something that is one's responsibility. With this people can try to shift the blame to Disney's systems.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok the iPads I knew about but I had no idea about the kiosks... sounds kind of like the World Key Kiosk concept brought back into the current century! Maybe a nice tool for folks who don't have an iOS or Android device to use the new app? I'd think as long as you don't see every walkway lined with them, and assuming the paper FP machines will eventually be done away with, it might not be so bad.
The kiosks are displays for the CMs to use who are manning the entry points. Imagine a roughly 15" LCD on pole.

WDWBryan

That's how the trial worked. There was another pole at the merge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom