Philharmagic in Digital

DisneyCane

I experienced Philharmagic yesterday for the first time after the refurb. I'm 90% sure they did not upgrade it to digital projection. It looks like they just struck a new print or cleaned the old one and focused it better. There was definitely a small amount (but noticeable) jump and weave in the image which is indicative of film. You can really see it at the very beginning when they aren't using the whole screen and there's a small frame of blank screen between the image and the decorative stuff that goes up into the ceiling.

Also, there were one or two specs of dirt noticeable which is certainly only on film and not digital. Finally, there were a couple of times where the right eye image had a strange flicker to it.

All of these and the fact that the image didn't have a digital "look" to it lead me to believe it's still film projection. I can't figure out for the life of me what they actually did during that refurb because everything looks the same.

Thelazer

It's still film.

Notice that opening segment is still rather blurred and out of focus. Then after the expansion to wide screen the film is focused correctly. This is the "Tell" that they are still using film.

When it's in digital, this out of focus effect will no longer be noticeable.

DisneyCane

It'll probably be a long while before they go Digital because of the cost of doing it on such a large screen. It would require at least two of the highest brightness projectors available which run around $70,000 a piece. Spending $140,000 with no particular benefit isn't a good investment. I'm sure the film runs in an endless loop cabinet so there's not projectionist being paid to be up there running the show. There won't be any significant cost savings by making the change and it's not like slightly improving the quality will make any difference in Magic Kingdom attendance or revenue.

If the film didn't exist yet or they were going to change it then it might make economic sense because of the cost of laser recording the computer animation to a negative to make the film prints. Since they already have the negative it's not that expensive to strike new prints if they have to. It's only the length of a couple of movie trailers.

Smaller scale projection makes some sense to change to digital because if the screen isn't extremely large, the projectors are much cheaper. It would probably be very cost effective to change the pre-show of Rock n' Rollercoaster to digital if they ever have to replace the film because on such a small screen they can do it with a $15,000 - $20,000 projector.

Rob562

It'll probably be a long while before they go Digital because of the cost of doing it on such a large screen. It would require at least two of the highest brightness projectors available which run around $70,000 a piece. Spending $140,000 with no particular benefit isn't a good investment. I'm sure the film runs in an endless loop cabinet so there's not projectionist being paid to be up there running the show. There won't be any significant cost savings by making the change and it's not like slightly improving the quality will make any difference in Magic Kingdom attendance or revenue.

Actually, if they were to do a straight swap-out of the current film projectors to digital ones, they would need four new projectors. Two of them project the center 3D images, and then two more project to either side, adding the 2D side projections.

-Rob

teebin

If the film didn't exist yet or they were going to change it then it might make economic sense because of the cost of laser recording the computer animation to a negative to make the film prints. Since they already have the negative it's not that expensive to strike new prints if they have to. It's only the length of a couple of movie trailers.

Smaller scale projection makes some sense to change to digital because if the screen isn't extremely large, the projectors are much cheaper. It would probably be very cost effective to change the pre-show of Rock n' Rollercoaster to digital if they ever have to replace the film because on such a small screen they can do it with a $15,000 - $20,000 projector.

Why do you think it requires two projectors? RealD which Disney has rebranded as Disney Digital 3D uses only one projector.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealD

hokielutz

What a shame if they didn't do a digital upgrade for the projection. Can anyone positively confirm or deny the use of digital for Philharmagic?

Disneyson 1

Still, the 2 "3-D projectors" could be trashed in favor of a single Real-D Projector. Then there'd be only 3 projectors. And I didn't know that the sides were in 2-D! You learn somethin' new every day!

rrmossy

So when exactly where the new digital changes unveiled ? I saw the show about 3 or 4 weeks ago and didn't notice any improvement at all in the quality of the picture.

bgraham34

Thats a shame it was not upgraded but I am sure soon enough they plan to do so. Maybe after Space Mountain is completed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Digital isn't always better :) Well maintained film is currently capable of much higher resolution and doesnt have a lot of the pixelation issues that a lot of digital currently has.

CJR

It'll probably be a long while before they go Digital because of the cost of doing it on such a large screen. It would require at least two of the highest brightness projectors available which run around $70,000 a piece. Spending $140,000 with no particular benefit isn't a good investment.

You make those numbers sound large. Disney pulls more than that in on a single day. $140,000 is play money for Disney. Trust me, they wasted a lot more than that... anyone been to Imagination lately... :lookaroun They spend thousands and thousands of dollars just painting their trash cans! I'm sure a projector that will enhance the experience at a popular attraction will be worth the investment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom