Phase closing and wait times - holidays 2012

WDW1974

Agree to disagree then. Disneyland will never rank above Magic Kingdom in my book because of it's size and tiny castle.

You can have any opinion you wish. I know I have never in my life been bored at DL (and I had a second home in Beverly Hills for seven years, so I was local to TWO resorts). There is so much more to see and do at DL, despite the smaller size. As to the castle, that's just a fanboi deal ... I honestly find the MK's to be least 'MAGICal', but much of that has to do with the removal of all the trees so it looks too big and fake and the fact they've made it into a place for only young girls (I can't dine there anymore. I can't shop there anymore. And I don't wish to be made up like Jon-Benet). The best Disney castle in the world is in Paris, by far.

You do get crowded quicker at DL, to be sure. But MK is quickly apporaching with all the triple wides driving ECVs or pushing double wide strollers. Pretty soon, there won't be any place to walk, yet instead of discouraging their use, Disney has given in.

WDW1974

Have you ever been? Aside from having a bigger castle and better Haunted Mansion, there really isn't much about the MK that's better than DL...T one time our Splash was better, but obviously not in its current state.

Even though I've only visited the stateside parks, right now the only MK style park I could see worse than ours is Hong Kong Disneyland...but unless things start to change in Florida, I see even HKDL beating us out. Heck, it's already prettier...and they're adding some great new and unique attractions. If the keep it up, in 5-10 years it'll definitely be better.

I've been to HKDL multiple times. I was a local and APer in 2010 when working in China. The park may be small, but it's like a perfect little jewel of a park that gets better with each visit. And they have added two new lands (with a third on the way with what looks like an amazing ride, Mystic Manor, in 2013) since I left HK. The park is spotless. You could eat off the ground as my Spirited father USED to say about WDW. The CMs are all friendly and helpful and genuine. The food is great (mostly, but not all, Chinese ... some tasty western and Indian food can be had) and priced at levels that would shock you. Their seasonal entertainment for Halloween, Christmas and Chinese New Year's is suberb and not upcharged for at all. They have fewer attractions than other MKs, but what they have is quality and they two E-Ticket caliber shows.

They are already talking about the next expansion when this $970US million project ends as well as adding another resort hotel to the beautiful two that sit on the South China Sea.

I think I'm pretty unique in that in addition to visiting every Disney park in the globe, I've been fortunate enough to be local to both US resorts and HKDL. I can't in good conscious say MK is better when HKDL wins out in show, efficiency, cast friendliness, entertainment, food and value for the dollar. It is also incredibly lush and beautiful, unlike the MK where trees have been massacred to make way for ECV pathways and better views for pyro shows.

FWIW, I bought at AP (the least expensive) while living there. It was $82.70. That was less than a one day one park ticket at WDW. And it came with plenty of discounts, including 20% at the resort's top dining locale, the Crystal Lotus at the HKDL Hotel.

71jason

No closures on the 26th - bad weather may have been a factor, or as you say, a calm before the storm.

Agree the bad weather may have kept people away, but headed to DTD around 11:30 last night I couldn't believe the back-up coming the other way on World Drive (toward 192/I-4). The guests got there sooner or later.

GLaDOS

I saw a photo from my brother of Epcot turnstyles earlier. Wall to wall people.

Today might be one of those days that crowd calendars should say "Avoid at all costs"

Yup. The other Orlando parks are mobbed as well. Getting reports from a friend in IoA that Forbidden Journey is over 3 hours in wait time, and Spider-man and Hulk are over 2. And another one working at SeaWorld says they're the busiest she's ever seen them.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
MK wait times 12:25pm - Big Thunder 200 mins, Space Mountain 135 mins, Mermaid 120 mins, Pan 120 mins

PhotoDave219

Not worth going at this time of year if you plan on riding. Just think phase 3 closure and thats with the expanded fantasy land.

Doesnt New Fantasyland just replace the HRC (hourly ride capacity) of closed attractions? We lost Snow White but gained an Omnimover (Mermaid). Mermaid is 1300 (so i was told) but I dont recall what SW was an hour but I cant see there being a giant gain for guest capacity.

That being said, New Years will be brutal.

BryceM

Yup. The other Orlando parks are mobbed as well. Getting reports from a friend in IoA that Forbidden Journey is over 3 hours in wait time, and Spider-man and Hulk are over 2. And another one working at SeaWorld says they're the busiest she's ever seen them.
If my Universal Orlando wait time app is correct then Hulk is currently at 100 mins, Spider-Man is at 100 mins, Forbidden Journey is at more than 120 mins. Even Dr. Doom's FearFall is at 75 mins.

It might be the year to be here, but it's not the day to be there! *ba-dum-chhhh*

GLaDOS

Doesnt New Fantasyland just replace the HRC (hourly ride capacity) of closed attractions? We lost Snow White but gained an Omnimover (Mermaid). Mermaid is 1300 (so i was told) but I dont recall what SW was an hour but I cant see there being a giant gain for guest capacity.

That being said, New Years will be brutal.

Wow, Mermaid is only 1300? Seems low.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Things look pretty bad at the Studios. Parking lot is full, and guests are being parked at Epcot and then bussed over to DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom