Pfizer Vaccine News

Chi84

Premium Member
??? Where did you hear that? Not denying, just curious. I always back my alleged factual "statements" with backup so everyone understands where it came from.
I'm asking that every time someone posts the likely dates the vaccine will be readily available and haven't received any answers yet.

thomas998

A Pfizer spokeswoman said in an email to CNN Business that the sale took place because Pfizer shares hit a predetermined price as part of a plan authorized by Bourla on August 19.

When asked if Pfizer and Bourla thought to cancel the stock sale due to the perception that Bourla might be cashing in on good news, the spokeswoman said that "these are predetermined plans managed through a third-party stock administrator."

Another Pfizer officer, executive vice president Sally Susman, also sold shares Monday as part of a prearranged plan. Susman sold 43,662 shares at the same $41.94 price that Bourla sold at, a transaction valued at more than $1.8 million.
He has tried to use rule 10b5-1 to allow him to do the sale. But that does not exempt him from being prosecuted for market manipulation which is more like what the SEC would go after him for. It isn't unusual for an officer in any company to use the 10b5-1 exemption for small trades, but what this guy did was dump 2/3rds of his stock, that is very unusual. The critical information missing is whether his plan was designed around a predetermined price, a predetermined date or some other mechanism. IF he was doing it based upon a predetermined date then his announcement becomes incredibly suspicious as anyone with half a brain would know that such an announcement would send a companies stock price soaring for a short period whether the announcement was grounded in reality or simply wishful thinking.

As I understand it there has already been calls from watchdog groups for the SEC to open an investigation into Bourla's actions and I would be surprised given how far outside the norm they if he isn't investigated. He has abused the intent of the 10b5-1 exemption to a degree that I wouldn't be surprised if the board of Pfizer did something about this.

thomas998

It was a scheduled sell, planned in August I believe. And has been extensively explained, is part of common practice of many highly compensated officers. So, perhaps he made a good guess based on what he knew several months ago, but that doesn't mean the product is no good. Had the stock not gone up, the sell would have happened when the stock hit that price as in the schedule. This sell was going to happen some day.
If it was a date specific plan then the question become why he made the announcement precisely when he did. If you know that an automatic sale of your share is going to happen on X day and then make an announcement the pumps up the stock price just before that date it become market manipulation, which is a crime beyond insider trading. It wouldn't be the first time that someone thought they had figured out the law so they could ignore it only to get themselves caught violating a different law.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If it was a date specific plan then the question become why he made the announcement precisely when he did. If you know that an automatic sale of your share is going to happen on X day and then make an announcement the pumps up the stock price just before that date it become market manipulation, which is a crime beyond insider trading. It wouldn't be the first time that someone thought they had figured out the law so they could ignore it only to get themselves caught violating a different law.

It was not date specific, it was price specific. It was an auto-sale when the stock reach a specific pre-determine price.

thomas998

As is the case with all CEOs they sell shares as part of a pre-set plan that doesn’t allow them to sell based on inside information. He had no control over when those shares got sold. There is no there there. Just another conspiracy theory with no merit.

All they get is yes I was vaccinated or yes I tested negative. What’s the harm? It’s not required anyway. You can always just skip the concert or event.
If he knew the date of the pre-planned stock sale then the argument isn't insider trading it is market manipulation. Using a pre-set plan is done under SEC rule 10b5-1 to exempt the person from insider trading charges but it doesn't exempt you from market manipulation. It also goes against the intent of the exemption when he dumped 2/3rds or his shares.

As for whether you were vaccinated or not being harmful... suppose that in a few years time it comes out that people vaccinated have a much higher rate of some cancer or other medical problem... now a company might think twice about hiring someone that was vaccinated and while they couldn't ask you directly that medical question Tickemaster could be selling that info if you provided it to them. Never assume that what seems like harmless information about you today will always be harmless things can change and keeping ALL your medical information as private as possible is the best thing to do not share it with a sleazy company like Ticketmaster that has the integrity of a side show barker.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If he knew the date of the pre-planned stock sale then the argument isn't insider trading it is market manipulation. Using a pre-set plan is done under SEC rule 10b5-1 to exempt the person from insider trading charges but it doesn't exempt you from market manipulation. It also goes against the intent of the exemption when he dumped 2/3rds or his shares.
You can believe what you want on the stock sale. You have decided it’s market manipulation and won’t listen to anyone telling you it wasn’t date specific so I don’t think there’s any point in continuing that conversation. If this was really an issue the SEC would be all over it. They don’t take these things lightly anymore.

If this vaccine gets approved and helps end the pandemic Pfizer will have been part of what may very well go down in history as one of the greatest scientific achievements of all time. The scientists there have worked around the clock on something that could save millions of lives and months or years of economic depression and the company did this at risk so if the vaccine failed they would be out billions of dollars and the blame would fall square on the CEOs shoulders. So I choose to say thank you for your efforts and for taking that risk rather than accuse their chief executive of a federal crime with nothing more than circumstantial evidence, but you do you.
As for whether you were vaccinated or not being harmful... suppose that in a few years time it comes out that people vaccinated have a much higher rate of some cancer or other medical problem... now a company might think twice about hiring someone that was vaccinated and while they couldn't ask you directly that medical question Tickemaster could be selling that info if you provided it to them. Never assume that what seems like harmless information about you today will always be harmless things can change and keeping ALL your medical information as private as possible is the best thing to do not share it with a sleazy company like Ticketmaster that has the integrity of a side show barker.
For me personally that seems very unlikely (kinda tin foil hat territory). First, I don’t know of any vaccines right now that cause cancer. The majority of adverse reactions don’t result in long term, chronic medical conditions. Second, it’s illegal for a company to not hire someone because they may have a medical condition. Not saying it can’t happen, but it seems far fetched that an employer would be out on the black market buying illegal medical information. I would not want to work for a company that’s doing that anyway so probably a benefit that they eliminate me from consideration. Third, it would be highly illegal for Ticketmaster to sell that information. Prosecutable in both civil and criminal court.

At the end of the day it’s a personal choice. If that really concerns you just don’t go to the concert or sports game. Problem solved. I’m sure if they actually follow through on that plan after over a year of not having concerts or crowds In the stands for things like baseball games many people would be willing to take that ”risk”.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lol they took $1.95 billion federal big ones and say “wE wErEn’T pArT oF oPeRaTiOn WaRp SpEeD.” Ha
As has been stated multiple times Pfizer has not taken a dime from the federal government yet. So no, they did not take $1.95 billion big ones. They get paid nothing unless/until they deliver the vaccine. Pfizer could have taken upfront money and they also could have done what Moderna and AstraZeneca are doing and used Warp Speed for distribution. They did not. I think the rub for Pfizer is that they chose to develop the vaccine at risk (meaning if the vaccine failed they would be out whatever they spent on developing it with no funding from the federal government). They did this to maintain more control but also to ensure that their vaccine was not tainted by political bias. They want people to know they developed the vaccine independent of a political process. Once they deliver the vaccine they will be paid by the federal government who will then decide who and when people get vaccinated (free of charge) so the government ends up a big part of the process, just not part of the development or distribution in this case.

jaklgreen

No it hasnt been disproven. Like many issues, medical and otherwise, you can find some medical Drs that will say one thing and others say the opposite. If you side with one, thats how you will argue.
Here is one of the other sides. I'm not a DR nor do I have a child with autism, but there is enough causal evidence that it does make me question the validity of the statement... Vaccines do not cause Autism.
People are born with autism, it is NOT from vaccines. If it was from vaccines, then how do you explain the kids that get it that were not vaccinate? My niece has autism and we could tell from when she was a newborn that she did not behave how a typical newborn should. Autism is genetic, that is why you see it in families, siblings and cousins.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lol they took $1.95 billion federal big ones and say “wE wErEn’T pArT oF oPeRaTiOn WaRp SpEeD.” Ha
Pfizer has not taken one cent from the U.S. government.

The U.S. put in an order for doses. That's it.

If I put in an Etsy order for a crocheted Baby Yoda hat, the crafter is not part of MisterPenguin Flipper Speed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If I put in an Etsy order for a crocheted Baby Yoda hat, the crafter is not part of MisterPenguin Flipper Speed.
I’m not going to lie...I would not think less of you if you actually just ordered a crocheted baby yoda hat for yourself before posting that. I am also sure at least someone logged on to Etsy after reading that to try to order one....it may have been me ;)

EricsBiscuit

??? Where did you hear that? Not denying, just curious. I always back my alleged factual "statements" with backup so everyone understands where it came from.

As has been stated multiple times Pfizer has not taken a dime from the federal government yet. So no, they did not take $1.95 billion big ones. They get paid nothing unless/until they deliver the vaccine. Pfizer could have taken upfront money and they also could have done what Moderna and AstraZeneca are doing and used Warp Speed for distribution. They did not. I think the rub for Pfizer is that they chose to develop the vaccine at risk (meaning if the vaccine failed they would be out whatever they spent on developing it with no funding from the federal government). They did this to maintain more control but also to ensure that their vaccine was not tainted by political bias. They want people to know they developed the vaccine independent of a political process. Once they deliver the vaccine they will be paid by the federal government who will then decide who and when people get vaccinated (free of charge) so the government ends up a big part of the process, just not part of the development or distribution in this case.

Pfizer has not taken one cent from the U.S. government.

The U.S. put in an order for doses. That's it.

WASHINGTON — As nations around the world race to lock up coronavirus vaccineseven before they are ready, the Trump administration on Wednesday made one of the largest investments yet, announcing a nearly $2 billion contract with Pfizer and a German biotechnology company for 100 million doses by December.

The contract is part of what the White House calls the Warp Speed project, an effort to drastically shorten the time it would take to manufacture and distribute a working vaccine. So far, the United States has put money into more than a half dozen efforts, hoping to build manufacturing ability for an eventual breakthrough.”

They might not have received the money yet but that’s part of the contract. I’m sure y’all trust The NY Times lol

GoofGoof

Premium Member

WASHINGTON — As nations around the world race to lock up coronavirus vaccineseven before they are ready, the Trump administration on Wednesday made one of the largest investments yet, announcing a nearly $2 billion contract with Pfizer and a German biotechnology company for 100 million doses by December.

The contract is part of what the White House calls the Warp Speed project, an effort to drastically shorten the time it would take to manufacture and distribute a working vaccine. So far, the United States has put money into more than a half dozen efforts, hoping to build manufacturing ability for an eventual breakthrough.”

They might not have received the money yet but that’s part of the contract. I’m sure y’all trust The NY Times lol
Right, so this is proof that they didn’t take any big ones from the government. They haven’t received a dime. They signed a contract to sell doses of the vaccine to the US federal government if it gets approval. They also signed similar contracts to sell doses to the EU, UK and Japan. 82% of their 1.35 billion doses they intend to make by the end of 2021 are under contract to purchase by those 4 entities.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So....is there any way to get this thread back to the original question?

Has this news made anyone start daydreaming about a post-pandemic trip to WDW?
Haha... I actually forgot that was the first post. The title of the thread is a little misleading vs what the original topic was.

I am definitely very optimistic for a faster return to something closer to normal for WDW. We were all hoping that a vaccine would come through and we are still a long way from enough people getting stuck to change things, but 90% is a real game changer IMHO. Really something to get excited about for the world and specifically for WDW.

For me personally, I had a trip to WDW in August that we cancelled and moved to next August. I am definitely cautiously optimistic that my trip will actually happen this year and maybe even have less Covid restrictions. Can we get to no masks and no or little distancing by August? Who knows, but it’s certainly a lot more possible to be a reality than it was a week ago before the Pfizer news dropped. If not I will probably still go as long as cases aren’t like they are right now. So, yes I am definitely still day dreaming about a true post pandemic trip to WDW. I actually have to book my DVC rooms at the 7 month window in January (we plan a 10 night split stay between BCV and Poly) and then probably flights shortly after that. If trends continue, I will need something fun to focus on pretty soon while I’m locked away in my basement;)

correcaminos

I'm truly hoping our June 2021 trip can happen. Iffy on our March. I'll decide by end of Jan if we want to go depending. I can bank points into the next year if we skip spring break.

90% and one week after 2nd shot will be amazing and super helpful. We missed so much this year...

MickeyLuv'r

What's slightly funny is that - despite impressions of my posts to the contrary - I too have thought about getting this vaccine, so I can (#1) stay healthy, (#2) return to my daily life, and (#3) perhaps return to WDW or some other fun destination.

[I'm also a little torn though, for me getting to WDW is a solid chunk of $, and so many of my neighbors are suffering. People near me need basics like food. I'm trying to find happiness in much smaller expenditures for the time being. This morning I ate an excellent apple from a local orchard, and I'm expecting a shipment of FL oranges before the end of November. Florida in a box!

For me, local donation and supporting local business feels like a better way for me to spend my disposable income. WDW is great, but the people operating my local produce stand are also amazing. When this is over, I still want to have my local produce stand. I'm so grateful for all they've done this year.]

I also suspect, even if I try to be among the first group of people to get this vaccine, limited supply and distribution will make that impossible. The whole month of April, I couldn't even find toilet paper or pasta in any local stores!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom