petrified of the tower of terror!

dupontflames

Original Poster
okay, so the deal is that the tower of terror has been haunting me for years now and back in 2002 was my last trip to mgm. i clearly stated to everyone that went with me that i wasn't going on it and that they couldn't talk me into it. flash forward to today. i'm facing a trip back to do all the major e-ticket rides at the 4 parks in 1 day on the 30th. the first one we're going to do is the tower and i'm still pretty nervous about it. i don't have any unreasonable fears, but i've never been on a drop tower and for this ride, the one i've been afraid to go on for so long, to be the first one...well, it still has me pretty worked up.

i was at magic kingdom the other day with my buddy and i went on splash mt. for the second time ever (there hadn't been time to do it more than once the first time i went). needless to say, i got the little queasy feeling in my stomach for a split second as it went over the last drop and it was fun from there. i went on it 6 more times that day and by the end of the day i was more concerned with what we were gonna yell as we went over.

so, i've watched the videos of the ride and read all sorts of people talking about it, but i really don't know what to expect in terms of how the drops feel. i've heard the 13 story drop is 1.75 seconds long, but that sounded really short. how long is the splash mt. drop in terms of time?

thanks and wish me luck!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I too am not fond of drops and I avoided ToT for years. Last December a forum member talked me into going on it and I loved it. First of all like Splash Mountain the drop is only a small part of the ride. Second it doesn’t really feel like a free fall. Maybe it is because you are being pushed rather then dropping. Anyway go on it scream your brains out and have a good time.

Fantasmic!329

I never, ever wanted to go on TOT either, but my aunt talked me into it and I went on it in August. It really isn't that bad. The theming might be a bit freaky, but the ride itself isn't bad at all. Its kind of like those Bounce rides they have at boardwalks and Six Flags, only indoors. Go have fun and you'll most likely like it, just like your SplM experience.

1stStarIC2nite

There really isn't that much that's scary in the ToT. The only thing that gets me is that moment right before you drop (or shoot up, now) and it's just silent...... and the boom! You're freefalling.. it's pretty kewl :D

But as for the feeling, it's a lot like driving over a hill fast or on a roller coaster. It's that butterfly feeling but to the extreme because you're floating off your seat. It's so awesome.... you'll love it. When you get back, let us know how it goes!

Slipknot

dupontflames said:
okay, so the deal is that the tower of terror has been haunting me for years now and back in 2002 was my last trip to mgm. i clearly stated to everyone that went with me that i wasn't going on it and that they couldn't talk me into it. flash forward to today. i'm facing a trip back to do all the major e-ticket rides at the 4 parks in 1 day on the 30th. the first one we're going to do is the tower and i'm still pretty nervous about it. i don't have any unreasonable fears, but i've never been on a drop tower and for this ride, the one i've been afraid to go on for so long, to be the first one...well, it still has me pretty worked up.

i was at magic kingdom the other day with my buddy and i went on splash mt. for the second time ever (there hadn't been time to do it more than once the first time i went). needless to say, i got the little queasy feeling in my stomach for a split second as it went over the last drop and it was fun from there. i went on it 6 more times that day and by the end of the day i was more concerned with what we were gonna yell as we went over.

so, i've watched the videos of the ride and read all sorts of people talking about it, but i really don't know what to expect in terms of how the drops feel. i've heard the 13 story drop is 1.75 seconds long, but that sounded really short. how long is the splash mt. drop in terms of time?

thanks and wish me luck!!

If a 4-year-old can laugh when it was all over after all her crying in the queue, I have a feeling you will be fine. Hell I was a little nervous the first time I went on. Since then I am one of the biggest fans of ToT and have been on it more than 300 times. I can do the pre-show off the top of my head... :lookaroun

Master Yoda said:
I too am not fond of drops and I avoided ToT for years. Last December a forum member talked me into going on it and I loved it.

I am said forum member. :D

dandaman

It is unlike anything you will ever experience. You will come back, clamoring for more...
At first, I was petrified, too. Now my family lets me use their tickets to get Fastpasses for a ToT hour-long marathon!

welovewdw

i have a huge fear of drops (especially on rollercoasters). i just dont usually like the feeling i get. i was really scared to ride tot, but i did it, and now it's my favorite ride ever!!!! i doesnt really feel like a drop. it's a really cool feeling!! i promise you'll love it!!

RnRJoe6114

Lets just say i was riding since I was 5 and I've always loved it. It took me a day or two to build up he qurage, but i did it and I still love it .

Narthex

Anticipation is what makes it scary

For first time riders the anticipation of the drop sequence is what makes Tower of Terror so frightening. Waiting in line, the pre-show, and the ride itself before the drops can be a bit much. All of that fear goes away when you actually start the drop sequence and you realize how much fun it really is. My stomach drops more on the final drop of Splash Mountain than this ride, I think its due to how quick it is. Try it out, its probably the most elaborate ride in all four parks of Walt Disney World.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
I still get a little nervous before I go on ToT, and I've been on it I'd say 50+ times. That being said, its a great ride, you'll love it.

Just remember that nothing can go wrong, theres no way you are going to get hurt.

dzlandSr

My son and I are still unsure about riding.:lookaroun We tell ourselves that we might ride it and then when we get up to the entrance area, we look up and say "I ain't riding that!" Now we visit the Disneyland Resort more than WDW since we live closer to California, but other family members tell me that on my next trip to WDW (which is in October) that I need to ride it. :eek:

How many times do they drop you the full 13 stories? Is it 4 times (since it is called TOT4) One full 13 story drop is enough, but I don't think I could handle dropping 4 times.:hurl:

doombuggy dude

Anyone have a similar experience

Let me start by saying....I love this ride. Its one I recommend anytime anyone asks. However, I on one occasion have been more scared on this ride than any other...
How you say.
I am a thin person about 5'9". I sat next to someone who was extremely large on this ride. This person had to be helped onto the ride. No joke-- the largest person I have ever seen on a ride of any type. I immediately looked down to see the lap bar only going down to midway of my chest. Uh oh....
I in no way mean to be insensitive but this persons leg was as large as my torso. There was a moment when I looked at the people on the other side of this person realizing the situation and I could see they were equally worried. By then it was too late..
I spent the entire ride holding on for dear life. I'm sure you will say there is no way you could fly out etc. Maybe so, but.... The first drop I slipped upward until my knees hit the bar so hard they bruised ( as I found later ) and I had to grab on tight. Believe me.. at that point I was not waiting to find out whether its possible to come loose of the lap bar. I held on for dear life from then on. I was worn out by the end. Every drop I slipped so far upward that I honestly thought that whoever was monitoring the video would stop the ride.
After the ride I was happy to get out of there. I was pulled aside by the folks on the other side of this person. They were still terrified. One woman (who had a pre-teen who she had to hold on to) pulled aside a CM on the way out and let them know what had happened and she assured us they would review the video and check for any concerns.
This was a total fluke and not representative of the ride in general. I love this ride and will ride again - HOPEFULLY sometime this year. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or experienced another such a situation.......I will never forget it....

dzlandSr

doombuggy dude, that was one of the funniest post I've ever read! You had my son and myself cracking up laughing (I never thought I'd be laughing so much about the TOT!) Of course for you at that time on the ride it must have been terrifying.

iluvstitch

I love TOT!

When you are nervous about going on it, just remind yourself that this ride was designed to be FUN !

And think to yourself: what's the worst possible thing that could happen?

That you'll be scared for the few seconds that the ride drops and never go on it again? That would be the absolute worst case scenario.

But chances are you'll love it and want to go again :)

Brooke

I don't really like most drop rides. Dr. Doom at IOA made me REALLY sick once. But TOT is one of my favorite rides. It's not bad at all. Unless you're afraid of the dark and the themeing it's not very scary. It's a lot of fun and you should definitely try it!

NIU EE

doombuggy dude said:
Let me start by saying....I love this ride. Its one I recommend anytime anyone asks. However, I on one occasion have been more scared on this ride than any other...
How you say.
I am a thin person about 5'9". I sat next to someone who was extremely large on this ride. This person had to be helped onto the ride. No joke-- the largest person I have ever seen on a ride of any type. I immediately looked down to see the lap bar only going down to midway of my chest. Uh oh....
I in no way mean to be insensitive but this persons leg was as large as my torso. There was a moment when I looked at the people on the other side of this person realizing the situation and I could see they were equally worried. By then it was too late..
I spent the entire ride holding on for dear life. I'm sure you will say there is no way you could fly out etc. Maybe so, but.... The first drop I slipped upward until my knees hit the bar so hard they bruised ( as I found later ) and I had to grab on tight. Believe me.. at that point I was not waiting to find out whether its possible to come loose of the lap bar. I held on for dear life from then on. I was worn out by the end. Every drop I slipped so far upward that I honestly thought that whoever was monitoring the video would stop the ride.
After the ride I was happy to get out of there. I was pulled aside by the folks on the other side of this person. They were still terrified. One woman (who had a pre-teen who she had to hold on to) pulled aside a CM on the way out and let them know what had happened and she assured us they would review the video and check for any concerns.
This was a total fluke and not representative of the ride in general. I love this ride and will ride again - HOPEFULLY sometime this year. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or experienced another such a situation.......I will never forget it....

Don't let a post like this scare you away from the ride. Every individual on the ride now has thier own restraint for this very reason =).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom