petrified of the tower of terror!

AEfx

Brooke said:
I don't really like most drop rides. Dr. Doom at IOA made me REALLY sick once. But TOT is one of my favorite rides. It's not bad at all. Unless you're afraid of the dark and the themeing it's not very scary. It's a lot of fun and you should definitely try it!

I think that's what seperates ToT from rides like Doom.

In ToT you are completely enclosed in the elevator and the view outside is limited to what is effectively a window. There is a cage around you. At no time do you feel like you are going to fall out.

Now, a ride like Dr. Doom it's just you and your harness keeping you in check. You really are hanging outside and the feeling is much different.

ToT really isn't that scary. If you get motion sickness then yes, I wouldn't push it on someone, but if you are just "scared" then I say go for it - it's really not that bad. You are secure and enclosed the entire time - in some ways it feels safer than "Peter Pan" to me.

AEfx

Narthex

No more lap bars

Well your dont have to worry about lap bars anymore. They replaced them with seatbelts. As for the previous question I think there are only 1 or maybe 2 full 13 story drops. The drops are very quick though.

Emzy

I was scared too before my first time and I LOVE it now.

Just tell yourself what my parents told me when I was only 6 years old...

"Would Mickey make a ride to scare you?"

;)

sleepybear

Does the ride really drop the full thirteen stories? I was always under the assumption that while it did freefall a few stories while bouncing up and down, most of the "fall" was really the product of Disney magic (darkness, wind effects, etc.) It's why I've never been afraid of the ride. If this is the case, then there really is nothing to be afraid of. Just enjoy the sensation.

dupontflames

Original Poster
i really have to thank you guys a lot for all your support and informative posts. i still get a little nervous at the thought of it, but i'm more pumped to just get on and do it. could the sensation of having the floor taken out from under you when you drop be compared to intense turbulence in an airplane?

also, does anyone find it to be true that you're ready for a ride once you seriously consider it?

se8472

I for one used to be scared of the ride. But now years later I am fine.

But I have to say that I have seen guest become a nervous wreck after riding things that other people talked them into riding. Studies have showed that there are people among us that just can't handle large thrill rides and coasters. Its not about age, being scared, or just will power.

I have guest come to be and ask if I think they can handle riding space mt. (like I can really tell huh) but I tell them I don't know, but to trust that little voice inside your head, if it says go for it them go.

T-1MILLION

I am not sure about the turbulence on a plane question but if I had to comepare it then I would say similar. In my opinion it was not nearly as intense as I thought it was going to be when I first went on. It gives just enough thrill. Way more tame than most coasters. I get the same feeling in my stomach on Space MT.'s dips and drops. The Tower gives you the illusion that you are going to the top but you never realy go all the way. Most cases when I have been on it it gives you the thrill of the drop but as sson as it seems to be becoming intense it slows down. My sister hates drop rides and will not evan go on DR.doom at Islands of adventure but her and I went on TOT 3 or 4 times in row. You wil love it! It is my Disney fav!

-Preston

dupontflames

Original Poster
T-1MILLION said:
I am not sure about the turbulence on a plane question but if I had to comepare it then I would say similar. In my opinion it was not nearly as intense as I thought it was going to be when I first went on. It gives just enough thrill. Way more tame than most coasters. I get the same feeling in my stomach on Space MT.'s dips and drops. The Tower gives you the illusion that you are going to the top but you never realy go all the way. Most cases when I have been on it it gives you the thrill of the drop but as sson as it seems to be becoming intense it slows down. My sister hates drop rides and will not evan go on DR.doom at Islands of adventure but her and I went on TOT 3 or 4 times in row. You wil love it! It is my Disney fav!

-Preston

good, good. because i was hoping it didn't give the feeling of "okay, when's this gonna stop?". as long as it's not too bad i think i can do it.

jacksnightmare

This ride has been one of my favorite since it opened. I too was a bit scared the first time that I went on it. But since I love falling my girlfriend told me that I would love it. Now we try to get the most out of it everytime we go on by
1. shutting our eyes mid way through the falling because it gives you this senes of not knowing if you are going up or down,
2. raising our arms up and lifting our feet up when the drop is about to start,
3. Taunt first timers on the way up and right before the dropping starts. (I do this one all the time and I have had grownups yelling at me, but when the ride is over they always thank me because they get that little extra adreneline)

Plus the ride doesnt really drop 13 stories, it drops 5 then maybe 2 then 9, but never the full 13

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I look at it this way. The probability of me succoring to any harm on a ride at WDW is extremely low. There is a much higher chance that you will be hurt walking up to the ride then when you are on it. I am not all that fond of the drop but I will deal with it to get everything else that comes with the ride. Like most other rides at other parks it is not stripped down to thrill only there is so much more in ToT.

napnet

I still get nervous even though i have been on the ride about 20+ times. I am Anxious the whole ride until the first drop, then its too late! But once the first drop happens i really enjoy it and am sad when its over.

I feel so much safer in it because its inclosed, unlike Dr Doom ride. Trust me, i scream louder than my wife during the drops!

With most roller coasters, I can take the drops, its going upside down my stomach cant take! ToT is great cause its just drops.

CoffeeJedi

i remember when the only seatbelt was in the back row, you could loosen it as much as you wanted and get really nice hang time off the seat

dupontflames, the sensation produced by the tower of terror is very different from what you probably are imagining. because the car is actually pulled down FASTER than gravity, then gradually slowed down before accelerating up, you experience the very fun and quite pleasent feeling of bouncing, like a yo-yo. there's no jerkiness to the ride at all, and by the second drop, you'll probably be laughing your head off due to the "butterflies in stomach" effect!

cuteazabutton74

TOT is a really cool thrill ride. The first time I rode it in Dec. 2004 I was in tears and shaking. I said I would never ride it again. My fear was that the seatbelt was not on tight and it would become lose and I would hit the ceiling and die. I rode it again in Jan 2005. The only reason I rode it was because my brother and nephew wanted me to ride it with them. I was very scared but not like the first time. I love it. I can't wait to go back in May to ride it again. It is a cool ride and if you love thrill rides you would love this one. Give it a try and if you don't like it or feel you can't take it at least you know.

Cary

dupontflames

Original Poster
hey guys, i just want to thank you all again for your posts. i just went on yesterday and it was one of the most incredible sensations i've ever experienced. rock 'n' roller coaster was quite fun also.

also, after we left mgm we went over to epcot and the lines for test track and mission: space were so long that we got a fast pass for one and killed time waiting for the other line to die down a bit. while we were able to ride both of these, we ran out of time and weren't able to go back to mgm. there was a shirt i'd really wanted from the tower of terror. it's the one that says something like 'first your jaw drops and then you do'. if anyone's going to mgm anytime soon would i be able to paypal the money to you and have you send the shirt? thanks!

1stStarIC2nite

dupontflames said:
hey guys, i just want to thank you all again for your posts. i just went on yesterday and it was one of the most incredible sensations i've ever experienced. rock 'n' roller coaster was quite fun also.

also, after we left mgm we went over to epcot and the lines for test track and mission: space were so long that we got a fast pass for one and killed time waiting for the other line to die down a bit. while we were able to ride both of these, we ran out of time and weren't able to go back to mgm. there was a shirt i'd really wanted from the tower of terror. it's the one that says something like 'first your jaw drops and then you do'. if anyone's going to mgm anytime soon would i be able to paypal the money to you and have you send the shirt? thanks!

I knew you'd love it!!! :D And that shirt sounds kewl.. but sorry.. I don't live anywhere near enough to buy it... sorry :lol:

dupontflames

Original Poster
1stStarIC2nite said:
I knew you'd love it!!! :D And that shirt sounds kewl.. but sorry.. I don't live anywhere near enough to buy it... sorry :lol:

haha, it's cool. i'm sorry i didn't pick it up when i had the chance, but the rnrc fastpass was about to expire and we were in a hurry to get over there. :p

SpenceMan01

dupontflames said:
haha, it's cool. i'm sorry i didn't pick it up when i had the chance, but the rnrc fastpass was about to expire and we were in a hurry to get over there. :p

Call the Disney at Home shopping phone number (1-407-363-6200). They can get it for you.

Someone talked about four 13-story drops in reference to TOT4. TOT4 means that the ride sequence is in version 4. There have been 3 previous ride sequences. That's what TOT4 refers to, not how many times you drop. Good question though! :wave:

Since1976

I must have been spoiled by roller-coasters, because I was more interested in checking out the cool theming of the ride than experiencing the drop. Sure, it was fun, but I didn't have any sense of dread whatsoever about it.

I miss being scared of rides...

MCBRIZZ5

Since1976 said:
I must have been spoiled by roller-coasters, because I was more interested in checking out the cool theming of the ride than experiencing the drop. Sure, it was fun, but I didn't have any sense of dread whatsoever about it.

I miss being scared of rides...

You know I've been some of the tallest and fastest coasters and ToT still scares me the most. I guess it the combination of the part leading up to it and not having a clue to what is going ot happen next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom