Peter Pan Ride Accident

Coaster3001

Original Poster
My sources say that someone may have gotten hurt on Peter Pan today at the Magic Kingdom after becoming entrapped under one of the ships. More details if I hear anything.

SirNim

Oh gosh... I can sort of sense that if one really wanted to, one could become entrapped under an incoming ship... wouldn't be fun, that's for sure...

speck76

Report: Man injured on Peter Pan ride at Disney

From Staff Reports
Posted February 14, 2006, 8:00 PM EST

A man was seriously injured while attempting to board the Peter Pan ride at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom today, said and Orange County Sheriff's spokesperson.

The man, born in 1935, has yet to be identified, but according to Jim Solomons with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, he was injured with life-threatening injuries and transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

It appears the man was with his wife and grand-daughter when trying to get onto the ride, which consists of seats that move along a conveyor belt. The victim's wife and grand-daughter made it onto the ride, but when the man tried to get onto the seat, he fell off of the moving conveyor belt into the path of the next vehicle, said Solomons.

The wife and grand daughter are being cared for by a Victim Advocate from the Sheriff's Office.

More details to come.

Laura

Premium Member
Aww that's horrible! Life threatening injuries?! Poor guy.

I know everytime I board Peter Pan I wonder what would happen if I didn't make it in time.

I hope he comes out ok.

speck76

TTATraveler said:
Ouch, that is horrible.:( I hope everything turns out ok for the man.
...in addition, I hope the park is not blasted like it was for the situations that happened last year. I would hate to lose classic rides like Peter Pan (and every other ride that uses this type of loading system) due to 1 accident.....although it today's society, with litigation the way it is, it would not surprise me.

TTATraveler

speck76 said:
...in addition, I hope the park is not blasted like it was for the situations that happened last year. I would hate to lose classic rides like Peter Pan (and every other ride that uses this type of loading system) due to 1 accident.....although it today's society, with litigation the way it is, it would not surprise me.

This is simply a freak accident and unfortunate. If this was happening often, I think it would be justified to modify the ride, perhaps close the ride if it was really a problem. I think and hope that Disney would only close a ride if deemed a safety risk. I can only hope that the media will not carry on like they usually do. However, I am sure they will throw in the Mission Space, ToT, and Typhoon Lagoon incidents.

speck76

TTATraveler said:
This is simply a freak accident and unfortunate. If this was happening often, I think it would be justified to modify the ride, perhaps close the ride if it was really a problem. I think and hope that Disney would only close a ride if deemed a safety risk. I can only hope that the media will not carry on like they usually do. However, I am sure they will throw in the Mission Space, ToT, and Typhoon Lagoon incidents.

I can't wait to hear from Rep. Markey calling for more oversight on amusement park attractions :rolleyes:

Main Street Jim

Next, it'll be Mansion, then SSE, then Buzz, then...I dunno...sheesh...can these people not *walk* along with the load belts?? I mean, yeah, I feel bad for the guy, but *come on*...

tigsmom

Main Street Jim said:
Next, it'll be Mansion, then SSE, then Buzz, then...I dunno...sheesh...can these people not *walk* along with the load belts?? I mean, yeah, I feel bad for the guy, but *come on*...

remember that "the guy" is 70 years old and maybe not as quick as some younger people; and I've seen younger people have trouble on the belts.

speck76

Main Street Jim said:
well....the guy is old, and he might have not been in good enough physical condition to board the ride with the speed expected.

TTATraveler

What would happen if the man fell on an escalator or a moving walkway at the airport and broke a hip or had a hard attack? Would that mean that we would have to shut down escalators and moving walkways until their safety could be verified? Or better yet, have more regulations and oversight concerning their safety.

It is awful that the man got seriously hurt, but at the moment I don't see how Disney is at fault. The man could have met a similar fate while getting off or on an escalator or moving walkway.

cj2me

They did make it a point in the press release to mention he was born in 1935.
I feel bad that his granddaughter and wife had to witness it, i hope the man recovers from this unfortunate ACCIDENT. The press must be salivating for another Disney Disaster Story.

hardcard

not too take away from the tragedy here, but is the ride closed? We arrive on the 25th.. just curious.. Don't kill me for asking ;|)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom