Peter Pan Refurbishment in January 2019?

MerlinTheGoat

I rode it today in person. I think some of the scenery and characters had some minor paint touch ups, but not everything was touched. The flight over London looks the same as far as I could tell.

A fair amount of the Neverland scenes however definitely have new lighting. The ride has always used black light for these scenes. But quite a few of the characters are now at least partially lit with normal lighting instead. You can see this in the video, the lost boys tied to the mast are one example I mentioned before. The light is not only no longer black light, but it also now flickers subtly as if illuminated by torchlight (which i'm guessing is the effect they were going for).

The miniature of Hook's ship right as you enter Neverland is also no longer lit with a black light. This is also the case with many of the characters characters in the two finale scenes (Pan, the Darling children and Hook/Ticktock) are also lit using traditional lighting instead of the older black lights. There still does appear to be a mixture of black lighting as well, but it's no longer the sole type of lighting anymore.

And for some reason the inside of the volcano wasn't particularly red anymore, it's brown now. Didn't get a super good look at it as I was on the right side of the boat, but figured i'd just mention it. And as I said before of course, Skull Rock has a new water ripple effect on the surface.

I will say that some of these new lighting fixtures are a bit too conspicuous. They seem to be mounted onto the floor or slightly behind certain pieces of scenery. They could stand to be hidden better if possible. I wonder if these new lighting effects are actually just being tested and not actually permanent...

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Pan fits in Epcot literally just fine. Especially with the direction they’re starting to take.

Also, Magic Kingdom has plenty of rides.
It doesn't fit. Even with the new direction. It takes place in Neverland. I guess it could possibly fit in the UK Pavillion, but thats already getting a ride.

And no, MK needs more rides to handle its crowds, not less. It is the most visited park on the planet.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It doesn't fit. Even with the new direction. It takes place in Neverland. I guess it could possibly fit in the UK Pavillion, but thats already getting a ride.

And no, MK needs more rides to handle its crowds, not less. It is the most visited park on the planet.
Yes. It would fit in the UK pavilion just as much as Guardians fits in Future World.

MK would not be losing an attraction for guests to experience.

Also, why are you so tight up about a hypothetical concept? Do you have anything else to do?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yes. It would fit in the UK pavilion just as much as Guardians fits in Future World.

MK would not be losing an attraction for guests to experience.

Also, why are you so tight up about a hypothetical concept? Do you have anything else to do?
I'm not allowed to disagree with you? I could say the exact same thing: 'why are you so insistent about this hypothetical topic, do you have anything else to do?'.

This is a discussion board about Disney theme parks. We discuss things. You proposed something hypothetical. I disagreed with it.. Why is that a problem?

Bocabear

The only ride in the Magic Kingdom that is actually appropriate for EPCOT is Small World If the moved that ride (and nothing makes me think they ever would), Peter Pan could move across the esplanade into a larger space and have a better designed attraction worthy of the waits... Tangled could move into the old Peter Pan building ...But heck no, Peter Pan does NOT belong in EPCOT... neither does Guardians Of The Galaxy...but that is another issue altogether...

aliceismad

Along that line of thinking, I'd say it fits as well as Arendale fits in Norway. But I know many people dislike the Frozen in Epcot. (I still think they wouldn't move PP, but I don't know the thinking of The Disney.)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm not allowed to disagree with you? I could say the exact same thing: 'why are you so insistent about this hypothetical topic, do you have anything else to do?'.

This is a discussion board about Disney theme parks. We discuss things. You proposed something hypothetical. I disagreed with it.. Why is that a problem?
At the time no I didn’t. I was on lunch break. :) And nah it’s the way you worded it mate.

MagicHappens1971

I visit WDW pretty often, and avoid this ride on most occasions, mainly because it’s really not that cool, the wait time, and that I’ve been on it countless times. I was just in MK this weekend for my friends birthday and in all honesty is the first time I’ve been on it since they redid the queue a few years back, but this ride needs to be GUTTED. It is so clearly dated and old and I just don’t understand how TDO or anyone in management is allowing it to continue on in its current condition.

yensidtlaw1969

I visit WDW pretty often, and avoid this ride on most occasions, mainly because it’s really not that cool, the wait time, and that I’ve been on it countless times. I was just in MK this weekend for my friends birthday and in all honesty is the first time I’ve been on it since they redid the queue a few years back, but this ride needs to be GUTTED. It is so clearly dated and old and I just don’t understand how TDO or anyone in management is allowing it to continue on in its current condition.
It has a lot to do with the big, hour-long line out in front of it. If it ain't "broke" . . .

As I think most of us would agree, they should take enough pride in it to keep it in great shape regardless. But that's the big reason they don't bother - people show up anyway and they'd rather throw money at something that isn't pulling its weight.

T.Will

I think gutting the ride is too extreme. A true refurbishment with new effects, better voice clips, and fixed vehicles would do wonders for Pan. Tearing it down would solve the short term issues, but it would destroy a Disney landmark. An enhancement is, in my opinion, the best route for a classic ride.

Bocabear

If they built a new and better Peter Pan Ride, who would complain? My complaints are always about building a lesser version, not a better one...and the building could remain and be turned into another attraction...

JoeCamel

I think gutting the ride is too extreme. A true refurbishment with new effects, better voice clips, and fixed vehicles would do wonders for Pan. Tearing it down would solve the short term issues, but it would destroy a Disney landmark. An enhancement is, in my opinion, the best route for a classic ride.
Careful, that is what a couple of other attractions in that area needed and look what happened to them. WDI does not see anything as sacrosanct just because it has been there a long time.

wdwfan757

The only ride in the Magic Kingdom that is actually appropriate for EPCOT is Small World If the moved that ride (and nothing makes me think they ever would), Peter Pan could move across the esplanade into a larger space and have a better designed attraction worthy of the waits... Tangled could move into the old Peter Pan building ...But heck no, Peter Pan does NOT belong in EPCOT... neither does Guardians Of The Galaxy...but that is another issue altogether...

Carousel of progress is, and will always be, the best fit for EPCOT.

Although, I've always dreamed about a TTA clone that links all the pavilions of future world

Bocabear

Although, I've always dreamed about a TTA clone that links all the pavilions of future world
Why not use the ruins of Communicore to do a complete Walt Disney Museum including the Carousel Of Progress as part of the project...I would be all in for something like that where the COP is given context to how and why it was amazing in it's day and the genius behind it... Restore the finale scene to it's original GE 60s fabulousness and it would be a hit as part of the larger Walt Disney Imagineering pavilion...
Move Small World to the World Showcase Promenade as the Prelude to the World Showcase and it all makes sense, EPCOT gets two more attractions, and the Magic Kingdom has room for2 new attractions that it needs...

Last edited:

aliceismad

Why not use the ruins of Communicore to do a complete Walt Disney Museaum including the Carousel Of Progress as part of the project...I would be all in for something like that where the COP is given context to how and why it was amazing in it's day and the genius behind it... Restore the finale scene to it's original GE 60s fabulousness and it would be a hit as part of the larger Walt Disney Imagineering pavilion...
Move Small World to the World Showcase Promenade as the Prelude to the World Showcase and it all makes sense, EPCOT gets two more attractions, and the Magic Kingdom has room for2 new attractions that it needs...
Personally I might not mind this. But IF the average guest already views Epcot as a time capsule, this would add to that perception. I think to have long-term success all the park should have a balance of various types of attractions. Regardless of whether I like it or think it's appropriate, GotG will draw guests into Epcot. A museum and retooled COP will not. I think Disney desperately needs to come up with a new "story" to pull Epcot together. (Also true of most of the Tomorrowlands, I think.)

RSoxNo1

How about my pitch of the Wall-E transport pods on the roofs around Future World but as a giant trackless system a la Aquatopia.

rle4lunch

How about my pitch of the Wall-E transport pods on the roofs around Future World but as a giant trackless system a la Aquatopia.

This is what I see in my head when you said pods running to each pavilion. extra points if you know the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom