Peter Pan Refurbishment in January 2019?

GlacierGlacier

It shocks me how relevant Peter Pan still is today with all the controversial messages in the original movie.
Art should be taken in context with the time and place it was created.

Behaviors and opinions that may have been widely held in the mid 20th century can look out of place here in the 21st. Who knows how many cultural shifts will happen in the decades following this?

In order to not lose the works which document those beliefs, we must view these works through a lense of the time, understanding the significance of the work while knowing better than to repeat the mistakes of the past.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Behaviors and opinions that may have been widely held in the mid 20th century can look out of place here in the 21st. Who knows how many cultural shifts will happen in the decades following this?

In order to not lose the works which document those beliefs, we must view these works through a lense of the time, understanding the significance of the work while knowing better than to repeat the mistakes of the past.
I completely agree. I’m shocked in the sense that our modern culture still accepts it in general. As for Splash Mountain, literally almost nobody knows about its original source material. Everyone knows Peter Pan tho!

To be honest, not sure if that applies with developing children though. It's one thing for a person who has the ability to look through the lens of time and history to do so, but another to ask a child to do so with no guidance.

Also, works can be historically archived but be made less prominent/public thus preserving it and documenting the beliefs but not allowing it to cast those "out of place" beliefs so broadly. Sometimes it's worthwhile to replace things to make way for new understandings or to rectify those pieces of art that were never made prominent in the first place.

GeneralZod

To be honest, not sure if that applies with developing children though. It's one thing for a person who has the ability to look through the lens of time and history to do so, but another to ask a child to do so with no guidance.

Also, works can be historically archived but be made less prominent/public thus preserving it and documenting the beliefs but not allowing it to cast those "out of place" beliefs so broadly. Sometimes it's worthwhile to replace things to make way for new understandings or to rectify those pieces of art that were never made prominent in the first place.
Or we could all leave Never Never Land and grow up. Then we could act like adults who don't allow external sources to fundamentally shake our intricately frozen delicate sensibilities.

Rich Brownn

Normally I would agree and they do have Tinkerbell in consideration. But all of the live action pan retellings have struggled, I think they will tackle this one differently.
There have actually only been two live-action Peter Pan films (not counting re-imaginings like "Hook"). One was a silent, and the other was the recent Australian film that died at the box-office. PP has mostly been a Broadway or television thing, or animated.

ToTBellHop

There have actually only been two live-action Peter Pan films (not counting re-imaginings like "Hook"). One was a silent, and the other was the recent Australian film that died at the box-office. PP has mostly been a Broadway or television thing, or animated.
Yes. It’s begging for a live-action format of the animated film with a boy as Pan, not a musical with a girl in the title role or a movie about the author. I’m sure it’ll be a project in the next 10 years to make the property more relevant. The story itself is strong, it just needs modern themes.

rle4lunch

Yes. It’s begging for a live-action format of the animated film with a boy as Pan, not a musical with a girl in the title role or a movie about the author. I’m sure it’ll be a project in the next 10 years to make the property more relevant. The story itself is strong, it just needs modern themes.

With all the SJW woke folk at Disney, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Petra Pan (female other than white character), or a backstory on why Hook is bad and what made him so misunderstood.

Rich Brownn

Its already been done. Got good reviews. Died at the box-office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom