People Waiting at WDW for Harry Potter?!

RSoxNo1

I love Islands of Adventure, buy my fiance isn't a fan. To her, it's a glorified Six Flags, mainly because we often go during the winter rendering the water rides pointless to any rational human being (I, of course am irrational and will gladly ride Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Raft Barges in 40 degree weather).

I can agree with her on some points though - I don't like how visible backstage areas are at Islands of Adventure. It doesn't have that total immersion that I get in a Disney park. The one thing I will say though is that the rockwork in the entrance is quite similar to the Adventurer's Club.

RSoxNo1

I'll try to bring this back on topic. Over on the Blue Sky Disney Blog they talk about the new Disney Store. Could these interactive stores be coming to the parks?

I think the interactive stores, on par with Olivander's, could also be the merchandise push that Disney needs.

Evil Genius

I'll try to bring this back on topic. Over on the Blue Sky Disney Blog they talk about the new Disney Store. Could these interactive stores be coming to the parks?

I think the interactive stores, on par with Olivander's, could also be the merchandise push that Disney needs.

I was thrilled to see the new store designs and for the longest time thought our mall was getting one...

...and then they went and closed the place altogether...::sigh::...

However I would love to see that level of interactivity come to the parks as well. I think Jobs' association with Disney should be explored further as I think they are a match made in heaven!

Evil Genius

Isnt that in itself a contradiction?

Nope

Anywho...I saw in a another thread the kuka technology being used in FJ has basically been ignored by Disney other than that small attraction-esque thing in Innoventions. I'm surprised WDI is ignoring it the way they are as I think it really is the next wave in thrill-tech.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
6a00d8341e75ed53ef01156f877446970c-800wi

Disneyson 1

^Perhaps they think that it's unreliable. We know how unreliable the Angler Fish AA is, and if they can't get that going, imagine having PEOPLE on top of that arm! It may just be that Disney doesn't want to waste time on long breakdowns.

Evil Genius

^Perhaps they think that it's unreliable. We know how unreliable the Angler Fish AA is, and if they can't get that going, imagine having PEOPLE on top of that arm! It may just be that Disney doesn't want to waste time on long breakdowns.

I suppose it's possible. Although I'd hate to think they'd give up on it because of the Angler. I mean they wing people around on it over at Innoventions all day!

RobGraves

Actually... when disney lost the Potter contract, they also lost the ability to make Kuka rides. Kuka has an exclusive contract with universal. Sum of all Thrills is different because it was basically an off the shelf design they purchased.

Evil Genius

Actually... when disney lost the Potter contract, they also lost the ability to make Kuka rides. Kuka has an exclusive contract with universal. Sum of all Thrills is different because it was basically an off the shelf design they purchased.

I'd read this as well and I think losing the ability to utilize the technology is a big loss.

T-1MILLION

The technology push may be a fun way to get some more merch sales in but that is not what Olivanders is and why it is a hit.

Olivanders is more about showmanship than high tech. The tech is fairly simple and just a few practical effects and human acting that help guests get lost in the magic of it all. It is showmanship, something that Disney used to always make sure they are top at and should focus on that more than just using high tech all over IMHO.

MotherOfBirds

Am I wrong, or aren't most of the people who design Universal's attractions past imagineers who were let go once the designs for Animal Kingdom were complete in the mid 1990's?

Yeah, the people that worked on the never-realized Beastly Kingdom area of DAK were let go some time in between Disney realizing they couldn't afford to build BK for opening day and opening day. They then ran to Universal and basically cannibalized BK plans for IOA. BK was supposed to have a dragon-themed inverted coaster in a castle along with a unicorn attraction. Sound familiar? *coughcoughduelingdragonscough*

LoriMistress

Its ok. I missed all of it! :lol:

That's what happens when you leave a thread for a couple hours! At this rate I'd get no work done and just spend all of my time waiting for threads like this to go down hill!

Well, I caused the first part of the wave, but I did stop responding because the conversation wasn't going anywhere but down. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom