News People mover now reopened!

celluloid

Oh, and the utilidors are just glorified dumpster-smelling industrial hallways.... (The CM cafe in the Utilidors has a Subway, though!)

The Subway in the mousecateria was terrible and had a premium convenience fee when I was there.

And it is crazy how often the pirates boats either have small imperfection leaks or an interior filled with dead and living palmetto bugs.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
The Subway in the mousecateria was terrible and had a premium convenience fee when I was there.
I never actually got a sub from there. Looked at the prices and turned away. I just used the vending machines.
And it is crazy how often the pirates boats either have small imperfection leaks or an interior filled with dead and living palmetto bugs.
I probably didn't stay long enough to know about those issues (gladly). I only lasted 2 weeks... But at least I can say I did it.

On top of the reasons listed above, I also had a lot going for me back home, with a much better paycheck. I don't have much insider scoops... But I can definitely go on and on about poor management & the lack of training at Pirates about 2 years ago. LOL

WondersOfLife

If ya'll ever wonder why there's sometimes mist during the pirate/fort battle scene and why there sometimes isn't... Well, as management said: "Sometimes it works when we start the attraction up, and sometimes it doesnt." :)

(Okay. Back to PeopleMover...)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If ya'll ever wonder why there's sometimes mist during the pirate/fort battle scene and why there sometimes isn't... Well, as management said: "Sometimes it works when we start the attraction up, and sometimes it doesnt." :)

(Okay. Back to PeopleMover...)
Remember the cloud projections that suddenly appeared in the bombardment scene? Someone found the switch.

owlsandcoffee

I have no idea what's causing the PM to not work. Is it possible that this was just training in case it stopped working, or is it more likely that it actually stopped during testing?

Cmdr_Crimson

sooo... they let us CM's test ride TTA today.

it was great to be on it again.
giphy.gif

New narration?
Projection mapping in the Tunnels????
ANYTHING!?!?!

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
For whatever its worth, during my short time working at Pirates, we were only told to clean pieces of trash off the boats that can be picked up with our handy dandy trash picker-upper stick. No wipe downs or anything ever.

Although, I also didn't work close shifts. But I worked morning shifts and I can tell you, they were just as bad as when we left em the night prior. I'd see the same napkin in a boat for 2 or 3 times a day sometimes... Mainly because most of the time, we didn't have enough staff at unload to do the cleaning part.
Makes sense, but sad to see that our standards were higher for cleaning ride vehicles. LOL. Every opening and closing shift cleaned vehicles and if we ever had a lull (it was almost predictable to the minute) we did a quick wipe down.

Rich Brownn

I'm tellin ya... When I got into DCP, it was a dream come true. Wanted to work at Disney since I was a little kid... Party kids/bad room situation aside, I had to quit early because I felt like I was severely undertrained to do the jobs I had to do on Pirates, and I didn't want to be responsible for people's safety in the position that I was put in... I was also too nervous to ask for a different position because the management in Adventureland was pretty scary.

At least now I know I can walk into Pirates' FP+ queue with no questions asked as long as I keep walking, whenever that opens again... (I won't.) It's all about the "guest satisfaction points" on that side of the park.

I tell ya... Once I found out how mismanaged one ride was, I really didn't want to know about the rest of the attractions at WDW. I'm sure it was just Pirates. But man, I would not be riding Pirates if I knew someone was just as poorly trained as I was at pressing E-Stop at load, sending boats out, and having to watch 8 different security camera screens while also watching load while also being in charge of pressing an e-stop somewhere in the middle of the ride that I'm not paying attention to when a kid stands up to do the floss before the drop while I'm making sure old people don't fall in the boat at load.... Utter nightmare. (That position had 2 people during the 70s. It's just one now.)

I can never get back on Pirates without thinking twice these days. And that's not even a scary ride to get on! LOL. Reminds me of the "highly professional undertrained teenage staff" at the Simpsons ride lol.

Disney for vacations. Not for work. Nope. There's a dream shoved in the trash.

Jesus I typed a lot. Time to get off the computer for the day.
At least there's gates at load now. We didn't when I worked there so it was always a bit stressful (not to mention the boats jamming up at the merge point due to poorly designed dual load). When we had our first evac due to the ride not restarting (a whole story in itself) was when we realized not one of us - including the lead - had ever really been trained on evac procedures.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The site that must not be named is saying on Twitter that 1) they’re letting a line build and 2) they’re advising a “possible” opening around noon.

WondersOfLife

At least there's gates at load now. We didn't when I worked there so it was always a bit stressful (not to mention the boats jamming up at the merge point due to poorly designed dual load). When we had our first evac due to the ride not restarting (a whole story in itself) was when we realized not one of us - including the lead - had ever really been trained on evac procedures.
The gates were nice to have when the CM doing load seating would wait until I closed the gates To let the next group wait.

But I can definitely see how having no gates would be terrifying.

(I wasnt trained at all for an Evac, too. We did like, a sort of speed talk on it and that was it.) I did get to test out the waders in the water of the ride for leaks tho! (Mine had lots of holes....)

donsullivan

Premium Member
I didn't think it was closed to upgrade anything, but rather to fix a track issue? Not sure why we'd be expecting new features?
Yup, only a repair effort to resolve the lingering bump-on-restart issue that triggered a lawsuit last spring.

It does get a little old when people make up expectations for things that Disney never committed or even hinted they might be doing and then complain when their self-created expectations are not met. It can be a lot less stressful experience if people (not poster I'm replying to) would stop manufacturing expectations of things, only so they can rage that it wasn't done later. This particular project was only funded as a safety repair effort, not an enhancement project so any disappointment anyone has is self manufactured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom