People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

corgi998

Ddp

well when I called Westjet vacations after they put me on hold for a very long time that because I had booked and paid in full in 2007 that the old DDP would be still available including the tips and appetizers however, nothing in writing. I guess I will find out when I check in on Saturday and the load my hotel key card.

DisneyJoe

Hi does anyone know if you purchased the 2008 DDP in 2007 (prepaid vacation) do we still get the 2008 DDP with the new horrible changes. I'm hanging on to a possible "maybe" at this point.

It doesn't matter WHEN you booked the trip, a 2008 Disney vacation will get the 2008 DDP.

corgi998

Ddp

that's what I thought. Oh well, better bring some extra cash for tipping. Although I have to agree with everyone, they should have given us a choice of appetizer or dessert. I have a feeling the tips will be included in the very near future as the servers must be irate.

tomm4004

I don't see how the servers can distinguish between those that purchased the plan in 2007 vs. 2008.

Did you pay $38.99 or $37.99? At least demand your $1 back!!

PintoColvig

I miss the ability to walk-up anywhere I want, but I actually haven't had terrible luck with late or walk-ups recently. In August, during free dining, I walked-up to Biergarten at lunch and Yacht Club Galley at dinner, and made ADR's only a day or two in advance for lunch at Garden Grille, dinner at Jiko, and lunch at Concourse Steakhouse. Not Le Cellier, but not too bad for very little advance planning (actually, we planned a lot -- we just changed the plans).
We try to plan our meals as far out as possible (usually 2-3 months in advance) and get ressies for each TS meal. We get into most restaurants that we want though the times are often before 5 p.m. or after 8 p.m. Then, after arriving, we make adjustments along the way as we are led and are able (though we always call and cancel any ADRs that we don't intend to make.) Not always getting into some of the more popular restaurants has led us to some great restaurants (at some of the resorts, BW area, DTD etc.) that we wouldn't have normally considered.

tomm4004

Referring back to an older post, I still don't see how the tips can reflect the true value of the meal. For example, it costs two of us $105 for Chefs de France. So the tip was $20 (around 18 per cent). If the DDP is $76 per day (two people), let's say they allocate $60 for dinner. Is the server getting a third of that ($20) and the restaurant two thirds ($40), of which they must pay Disney some.

I just don't see $20ish of the $76 going to the server for tips.

DisneyJoe

I don't see how the servers can distinguish between those that purchased the plan in 2007 vs. 2008.

If they were traveling in 2008, they paid $37.99, not $38.99....

Servers don't need to distinguish, except for those few travelers that began their trip in 2007 and ended it in 2008.....

wannabeBelle

Pretty easily actually. The price of the package as well as all the rules that went with it was not based on when you bought it, but when your vacation is set for. If you show up in '08, then the '08 Dining package applies!!! Belle

tomm4004

If they were traveling in 2008, they paid $37.99, not $38.99....

Servers don't need to distinguish, except for those few travelers that began their trip in 2007 and ended it in 2008.....

They were asking if people who purchased the plan in 2007 for 2008 would still get tip included. The answer, I believe, is no. Besides, I don't see how this could possibly work at store level. How could servers possibly know if you prepaid before or after January 1st?

DisneyJoe

They were asking if people who purchased the plan in 2007 for 2008 would still get tip included. The answer, I believe, is no. Besides, I don't see how this could possibly work at store level. How could servers possibly know if you prepaid before or after January 1st?

You are correct, the answer is No, since it doesn't matter when they purchased the plan, or if they prepaid - all that matters are their dates of travel.

shoppingnut

You are correct, the answer is No, since it doesn't matter when they purchased the plan, or if they prepaid - all that matters are their dates of travel.

Unfortunately, this is probably the problem they are having with people at the restaurants because if you bought the plan and paid for it early in 2007, you were told how the dining plan worked then and who knows if they sent out notifications of the dining plan changes to existing reservations.

Okie Mike

DDP still a good deal, if...

This upset me at first, also, but then I put the numbers to it and it's not real significant. For a family of four staying 7 nights, the gratuity (for TS meals only, mind you) is somewhere between $100 and $150. If you bought an appetizer for every TS meal, which I would not, it would be roughly $35 to $70. IMHO, really not a significant amount of money in the scheme of a Disney vacation. Could or should Disney have discounted the DDP 10% to split the difference? Probably, but it remains a good deal if you plan to visit Chef Mickey's, Le Cellier, O'hana, etc. like a lot of us do.
I may be repeating what others have said, but I did not take time to read the 150 or so comments. :)

JimboJones123

What really sucks about the changes to the DDP is that you now MUST use your TS for dinner. If you use if for Lunch, or especially for Breakfast more than 2-3 days, you become really close to losing money on the deal.

This not only VERY MUCH restricts the options to the customer to find value in the program, this also SLAMS the eateries which must handle much more dinner reservations to accomidate guests that don't want to waste their points on a lunch where they would be spending $7-12 less per guest, or even worse breakfast where there isn't a dessert and they lose $10-18 in value on their day's $37.99.

Even for CS, if you use your points on breakfast, you are losing anwhere from $5-10 in value because the meals are smaller and cost less. Plus, again you are losing out on the dessert which is simply ELIMINATED for the breakfast purchaser.

So, if you don't go "out of pocket" for breakfast, have a CS Lunch and a TS dinner with every days points, you lose anywhere from $10-30 in value on each day just because you couldn't get the reservations you wanted. Add that to the 25% value already lost -- the value of the DDP can now be rated at about half of what it would be worth if you had the old plan and could ensure that you are getting dinner reservations.

Just some thought for food.

DisneyGuy2005

According to everyone's friend Mr. Jim Hill their seems to be an uproar over the new Disney Dinning Plan. If you ask me it doesn't seem worth it anymore.

I agree. The fun of it I think is gone. I liked that you didnt have to worry about spending anything on the meal and you can just relax and worry about other things. If anyone is like me, I am a worry wart. Food costs is just one more thing to worry about with funds when planning ANY vacation. Taking away the appetizers kind of stinks too. I stuffed my face with all of the ffod no matter what. Although I dont like the changes, I know I will still definitely use the DDP and pay for any costs. I guess some free food is better than none, lol. You can still count me in for it!!:p

flscooman

has nothing to do with when paid it is based on when you check-in. If you check in 2008 you are on the 2008 plan.

JimboJones123

A few items I just noticed looking over the plan again from the official PDF

Q. Are gratuities included?
A. No, gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically
for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages).

VERY interesting. So, if I do option to order an app... I may get an automatic tip added now. Or if I order a glow drink at Sci-Fi. Or even an extra side of Mac & Cheese at Jiko? What about if I have not DDP guests at the table too? Do they get auto tipped on anything they order? Is it only if I order a beer? Or if my brother orders a beer and we pay for their part of the meal, do we get auto-tipped on that?

Q. Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation and have not purchased this plan.
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation and have not purchased this plan.

My parents would NEVER get the plan. But they do vacation with us. So we have, at meals, let them pick up the bill if we were splitting or just didn't want a dessert with that meal instead of use the points. In return, we have picked up entire meals for them on our DDP. We have actually been encouraged to do this several times starting in 2005. We actually did this 3x for TS and 4-5 times for CS last trip (We had PLENTY of points to go around). They picked up several of our lesser meals in return. So this will be a HUGE issue now. That kinda sucks. It was nice to have the option that if we didn't want to over stuff on desserts EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 meals a day, we could just pass off some of the love to them and have a lesser meal or two when we felt like it.

The Disney Disillusion Plan is becoming less and less glossy the more research I do.

Yak and Yeti. Not on.

Nor is any TS in Japan anymore. Nor the new Italian place. That's 3 things marked off my list of the top 6 places we wanted to make sure to hit the next trip.

What the heck. Open up new eateries, but they aren't included on the plan at all. The only options are the same thing as before. For a regular "Customer" -- yeah, notice I didn't say "guest" -- not when treated like this -- but for a regular "Customer" this is a really crummy way to do business -- not offering access to ANYTHING that's fresh and new in the past year. What a craptacular idea folks. This is becoming a more and more unsatisfied "Customer".

kimmychad

A few items I just noticed looking over the plan again from the official PDF

Q. Are gratuities included?
A. No, gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically
for ordered items that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages).

VERY interesting. So, if I do option to order an app... I may get an automatic tip added now. Or if I order a glow drink at Sci-Fi. Or even an extra side of Mac & Cheese at Jiko? What about if I have not DDP guests at the table too? Do they get auto tipped on anything they order? Is it only if I order a beer? Or if my brother orders a beer and we pay for their part of the meal, do we get auto-tipped on that?

Q. Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation and have not purchased this plan.
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation and have not purchased this plan.

My parents would NEVER get the plan. But they do vacation with us. So we have, at meals, let them pick up the bill if we were splitting or just didn't want a dessert with that meal instead of use the points. In return, we have picked up entire meals for them on our DDP. We have actually been encouraged to do this several times starting in 2005. We actually did this 3x for TS and 4-5 times for CS last trip (We had PLENTY of points to go around). They picked up several of our lesser meals in return. So this will be a HUGE issue now. That kinda sucks. It was nice to have the option that if we didn't want to over stuff on desserts EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 meals a day, we could just pass off some of the love to them and have a lesser meal or two when we felt like it.

The Disney Disillusion Plan is becoming less and less glossy the more research I do.

Yak and Yeti. Not on.

Nor is any TS in Japan anymore. Nor the new Italian place. That's 3 things marked off my list of the top 6 places we wanted to make sure to hit the next trip.

What the heck. Open up new eateries, but they aren't included on the plan at all. The only options are the same thing as before. For a regular "Customer" -- yeah, notice I didn't say "guest" -- not when treated like this -- but for a regular "Customer" this is a really crummy way to do business -- not offering access to ANYTHING that's fresh and new in the past year. What a craptacular idea folks. This is becoming a more and more unsatisfied "Customer".

jimbo, according to disneys restaurant list of whats on the plan tokyo dining and teppan edo are on it as well as tutto italia and yak and yeti, both the counter and the sit down.
heres a link
http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/08Dining.pdf

JimboJones123

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom