People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

tomm4004

I think your numbers are low, but lets go with your assumption. That is $200 for 2 people for 3 days (To give fair comparison to DDP which is based on nights stayed). So each person has $33/day. You can eat well with that, and probably get a fair amount of TS in too. But for $5 more per day, you can get a lot more value. Instead of eating at Plaza, you could go to Chef Mickey. That's were the savings comes in...

No, according to my scenario, you are paying $200 more for the package than individual pricing (room and ticket), plus you are paying $38 per day each for DDP. The package does not include DDP. That's an additional charge ($38 per day). If you just took the $200 you could use that money for food. What we are talking now is $38x2x3= $228, plus the $200 for the package profit margin. So really food is costing you $428 for three days.

PintoColvig

I personally do not believe, that even if the DDP was completely eliminated, that this problem would be resolved - there are just too many people.
This is why more restaurants need to be constructed in all parks, especially AK.

We will go back to using mainly counter service, which, in addition to be a more desirable amount of food per day, also increases the flexibility and spontaneity of the WDW visit since no reservations are needed.

This is why I advocated for another DPP option of CS only meals. It would be cheaper, provide more flexibility and lessen the demand on TS restaurants.

tomm4004

A question on the package price assumptions made above..Did anyone factor in the ticket price for the person as well? I have run packages both ways and it has never been that far off, usually a few dollars at most. Belle
Yes. A four-day basic ticket is $225. That's $450 for two people. $100 per night for a value - $300 for three nights. That's $750 total. Package quotes I saw were $475 for three nights at a value per person ($950 total) and didn't seem to include anything other than room and ticket.

wannabeBelle

Id encourage you to run the quotes yourself on Disneyworld.com. As I said I have run various dates with a package and without using the same dates and resorts to see which was a better deal and usually it was much closer than the $200.00 difference you are finding. Belle

WIX

Neither myself nor my family has ever used the DDP before, we can only hope that the changes made will have a slightly "negative" effect on crowd levels at various dining locations. It's been virtually impossible to get in to eat anywhere without having reservations months in advance, due in large part to the DDP.

As my family and I all hold annual passes, we're not the type who book ADRs months in advance, usually we wind up getting our hotel and travel plans together about a month or so before we actually arrive there. Don't get me wrong, as I want other people to be able to enjoy their vacation, but at the same time I want to enjoy mine. Hopefully this ADR months in advance malarky will taper off (doubtful, but hopefully) and some of the spontaneity of dining can come back.

HERE-HERE!!! I am not an annual pass holder, I only visit annually. I too miss the spontaneity of the walk up. I have made ADR's for the last two visit's as a result of three years ago not being able to do the walk up. Boy do I miss it.

DisneyMusician2

Yes. A four-day basic ticket is $225. That's $450 for two people. $100 per night for a value - $300 for three nights. That's $750 total. Package quotes I saw were $475 for three nights at a value per person ($950 total) and didn't seem to include anything other than room and ticket.

That is why it simply is not cost-effective to stay for that short a period. The cost for tickets gets exponentially smaller every day you stay, saving you money on a longer trip.

I want to eat TS every night, so DDP always worked out really well for me. I still haven't used the new one yet, but I'm hoping it continues.

tomm4004

Id encourage you to run the quotes yourself on Disneyworld.com. As I said I have run various dates with a package and without using the same dates and resorts to see which was a better deal and usually it was much closer than the $200.00 difference you are finding. Belle
I will take your word for it. But it makes one wonder why they don't offer it to everybody. It still seems to be a lure for getting people into packages. (And as someone else mentioned, maybe the three-night package is not the best example since it suffers from a lack of economy of scale)

DisneyJoe

You're way off. Show me your source for the $475 please.

From http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/packages/2008-packages.htm#myp:

3-Night/4-Day Package
3-Nights at a Disney Value Resort
4-Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket

Prices From $366 (value season)* Per adult
Based on adult double occupancy

$366 * 2 = $732.....

A package does not cost $200 more than room and tickets separately, unless you are somehow using a room only discount that doesn't exist in package form.

DisneyJoe

From Disneyworld.com

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Check In September 15, 2008
Check Out September 18, 2008
Staying for 3 nights, 4 days
Adults 2
Room Type Standard Room
Tickets 4 Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket
Package Magic Your Way Package

Grand Total $731.84

with basic dining plan $959.78, a difference of $227.94, which is $37.88 x 3 nights x 2 adults.

I'll break out room only next.

tomm4004

You're way off. Show me your source for the $475 please.
Okay, I did get this at disneyworld.com.

A three night package at the All-Star Movies in May (15th to 18th) is $1,055 for two people. This includes room and ticket (it does include park hopper option).

(I had looked at May because this is when we are going.)

Four-day park hoppers are $273. ($546 for two)

That leaves $509 for the room, or $170 per night for the All-Star Music.

If you try to book these nights by themselves, it costs $399. So in this case, you are paying $110 more for the package. (yes, less than $200). Do you get something else for this? A free pin? I don't know.

That's a 10 per cent markup, which perhaps is standard for a package.

DisneyJoe

Room only with separate tickets:

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Check In September 15, 2008
Check Out September 18, 2008
Staying for 3 nights, 4 days
Adults 2
Room Type Standard Room
Tickets None
Package Room Only
Date Rate per Night
Mon, Sep 15 $ 82.00
Tue, Sep 16 $ 82.00
Wed, Sep 17 $ 82.00
Total $246.00
Tax $30.75
Grand Total $276.75

2 4 day base ticket $225.78 x 2 = $451.56

room of $276.75
Ticket $451.56
----------------
Total $728.31

Package total was $731.84....

tomm4004

Your September numbers are much different than my May numbers. Perhaps it depends on the season. And don't you get free dining in September? This would seem to make the package worth while in that month.

DisneyJoe

A three night package at the All-Star Movies in May (15th to 18th) is $1,055 for two people. This includes room and ticket (it does include park hopper option).

Ya gotta compare apples to apples!

The $1,055 is for a PREFERRED ROOM at All-Star Movies AND 4-day ticket with Park Hopper AND Water Parks and MORE!!!!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
HERE-HERE!!! I am not an annual pass holder, I only visit annually. I too miss the spontaneity of the walk up. I have made ADR's for the last two visit's as a result of three years ago not being able to do the walk up. Boy do I miss it.

I miss the ability to walk-up anywhere I want, but I actually haven't had terrible luck with late or walk-ups recently. In August, during free dining, I walked-up to Biergarten at lunch and Yacht Club Galley at dinner, and made ADR's only a day or two in advance for lunch at Garden Grille, dinner at Jiko, and lunch at Concourse Steakhouse. Not Le Cellier, but not too bad for very little advance planning (actually, we planned a lot -- we just changed the plans).

DisneyJoe

Last comparison, I promise....

using your dates:

May 15-18, 2008 (which is Regular Season, not value season, and includes a weekend)
All-Star Movies
Standard Room
4-day Park Hopper tickets
No Insurance

Package total $907.90

Room Only with Tickets

Room $358.21
Tickets $273.71 x 2 = $547.42
Total = $905.63

-Joe

tomm4004

It's weird. I get $1055. If I take off preferred room it is $1015. If I take off tickets and just go room it's $359 (less than the $399 room only from before). But that means they are charging $656 for two tickets. That's $328 each. Considering you're only going to be there two full days and two part days that seems like a lot. You'd want to make sure you are arriving early and leaving very late.

If you take off the water park/Pleasure Island option (which you may or may not end up using) it takes it to $907. That means they were charging $108 for that option! That's $54 each, far more than the cost of either of those places. Curiouser.

Packages can be very confusing, and must be scrutinized before using.

DisneyJoe

It has nothing to do with the package - you just need to be observant as to what tickets and package options you buy.

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/ticketchart.htm

Park Hopper Add On $47.93 w/tax
Water Park Fun & More Add On $53.25 w/tax

4 day ticket with Water Parks and More gives you 4 admission options to the water parks, Pleasure Island, and DisneyQuest - so its only cost effective if you plan on visiting these venues.

tomm4004

Right. My head is spinning reading all of the options, such as Planet Hollywood certificate, miniature golf certificate and wine add on! (They must have MBAs working overtime to price point this stuff). Possibly they make money on all the options that are never redeemed. It's like people who never mail their rebates. So I guess you can't just add up numbers, unless as you say you are sure you are going to use something.

corgi998

Ddp

Hi does anyone know if you purchased the 2008 DDP in 2007 (prepaid vacation) do we still get the 2008 DDP with the new horrible changes. I'm hanging on to a possible "maybe" at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom