Peeps on SSE! Soft openings!

Themeparkavenue.com reports that the "Berries and Creme" guy by the "statue" is now gone.

What do they mean by this?

You know the Starburst commercial with that little guy singing "Berries and creme"? Well the little guys in that scene look like that guy sort of with the haircuts and the outfits.

Expo_Seeker40

There were two guys in the Renaissance scene on our right hand side listening to a man reading from a classic book. One of them had dark hair like the berries and creme lad in the commercial. He was right across from the sculptor who was sculpting a woman. She has been topless for what 25 years now?! And God forbid someone gets offended by seeing a plaster nipple...so now she is covered up. :eek:

but merf you have to remember that Spaceship Earth has NEVER had an elaborate ending.

The original ending had no music at all. It was just sound effects and some toned beeps and maybe a wharped version of "jingle bells". The ending was filled with random blinking lights. Some peg-board light up walls. And square projection screens showing communications such as satelite images computer data etc.

The tomorrow's child ending did bring in an actual theme and purpose....but again it was all the peg board walls and square projection screens at the end...and some new blinking lights and prism shaped projections that just featured purple colored children jiving with walter cronkite.

The jeremy irons version got rid of all of this....and used a false drop down ceiling that made the space smaller than it was.

It had the random floating news screen in space and floating classroom in the abandoned space station set.

BY THE WAY for all of you who know about "the girl in the window" :lookaroun apparently right before SSE closed this summer someone looked back to see the window and confirmed it had been removed...most likely some early prepwork for the summer rehab.

Anyway the ending was filled with people on MORE videophones "surprise tommy, AT&T is making us use videophones"

And then fiber optic lights. The only cool things about that ending where the lights, the city of tomorrow model....and the SSE model.

Hopefully the new musical score...and some lightning effects and good projections will make the experience worthwhile.

True….BUT, the finale score was so grand and emotional, it made up for any lack of scenery. Out of everything lost, I will miss the spectacular finale score from SSE the most! I just can’t foresee playing with some digital touch screen as an equal magical experience as sitting back, basking in the ambient array of colorful lights and filling my head with the wonder of the attraction’s final score.

aladdin2007

True….BUT, the finale score was so grand and emotional, it made up for any lack of scenery. Out of everything lost, I will miss the spectacular finale score from SSE the most! I just can’t foresee playing with some digital touch screen as an equal magical experience as sitting back, basking in the ambient array of colorful lights and filling my head with the wonder of the attraction’s final score.

I 110% agree, heres hoping there is more to it than what we have been hearing so far.

CaptainMichael

It seems that all WDI knows how to do anymore is gut good attractions and replace them with video screens. Some recent examples: Seas with nemo and friends, The Laugh Floor, Mission:Space, now Spaceship Earth, and Toy story mania is on it's way. What ever happened good old fashioned animatronics and show scenes?:hammer: Why can't we get some fresh new attractions that actually take some imagination to create? I'm not dissing WDI because it's probably due to budget cuts, it just makes me sad. :( However, I'm still really looking forward to riding SSE in 2 weeks (hopefully).
:brick:

Seas: Sea Cabs were closed down, God forbid they throw some money at it and get guests back to that pavillion.

MILF: Again, why not put something that is ENTERTAINING in place of a "Seasonal" Attraction/ Photospot

Mission: Space: The technology in this ride is amazing and no one appreciates it....pity....not due to budget cuts.

Toy Story Mania: The technology in here is pretty cool too, but I'm not a fan of the concept (already have Buzz)...screen usage here is not due to budget cuts

Everest: Let's not forget the $100 million dollar mountain they just built

Spaceship Earth: The intent of the refurb designers/Siemens is for you to create/build your future, that's the theme of the ride, that we as individuals can shape the future. You are supposed to be focused on the screen...it's a nice screen I might add. Also, the descent is not complete IMO. The new score is amazing! You just can execute the new storyline effectively (shape your own future) with 3D sets and AA's. That's for the ascent.

This new storyline actually sounds kind of neat ("think of it as the first backup disk," etc) -- seems like a good way to incorporate the new concept without completely trashing the old. Very smart. Whoever the show writer was gets a gold star from me. :)
It is very neat and very clever, and I love M. The storyline is very current.

I think you misunderstand. The video screens are ON the ride vehicle. The scenes are very much AAs.
Exactly.

Someone please tell me the AA of the man in his garage is in fact Steve Wozniak and not Jobs. Jobs didn't invent the computer, The Woz did. Jobs was just his business partner who knew how to market it. If they screwed that scene up I'll be ed.
There is no name mentioned, and you can't see his face. I'm not so sure this scene is complete because he didn't move...nothing did.

PS....is there any mention of a grand and miraculous spaceship????
That's Dench's first line!

I have a crush... on you, Pamelia.
I have a crush on you, Pamelia.
Let's go back to my place and read Shakespeare...
If we play Hamlet can I Ophelia?

(Yeah, yeah, the words are off, but the sentiment is there. Kungaloosh!)
Emil Bleehall!

I 110% agree, heres hoping there is more to it than what we have been hearing so far.
The descent is the conclusion to what the ascent was building up to, the fact that humans, any human, has the ability to shape the future. As we travel backwards we have the opportunity to shape our own futures by the choices we make. It's all very symbolic and wonderful. Any true EPCOT fan would appreciate this.

Uponastar

OMG!
George and I were in Future World at the time that this thread was started. We had no idea there was soft opening. We got to EPCOT earlier in the evening and the first thing we did was ask a CM stationed outside of SSE if there was going to be a soft opening anytime soon. He said he really didn't know but it didn't look that way.
Darn! We missed it!
Well, we still have a week here...

:brick:
The descent is the conclusion to what the ascent was building up to, the fact that humans, any human, has the ability to shape the future. As we travel backwards we have the opportunity to shape our own futures by the choices we make. It's all very symbolic and wonderful. Any true EPCOT fan would appreciate this.

All the same, I sure as hell hope there is more to it than what I saw last night.

Some friends and I are just going to take our chances and drive up for the weekend. Let's hope those of us attempting a sneak peek this weekend will find some EPCOT luck! :D

haveyoumetmark

If it has a beard then I'm going to assume it is meant to represent Woz as I don't remember too many pictures of Jobs having a beard back then. I'll have to do some more searching.

*edit*

Actually there are a few pictures of him with a beard, but I think he was known more for not having one than for having one. Woz has always had the beard.

I agree, with a beard, it definitely represents Woz. El Jobso was usually the more cleancut of the two. I love this, the tribute, as it were, is deserved and seems to be integrated well. Can't wait to see the final product, hopefully it will be open Sunday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom