Peeps on SSE! Soft openings!

coasterphil

I wonder if Homeland Security is using the pictures of peoples faces and then thier answers to the questions at the end? Think of the neat database one could build. :drevil:

Combine that with all the fingerprints from the turnstiles they have stored in their secret bunker and they'll have quite a collection.

Peaches Magee

Here's the info from the ThemeParkAve.com site...I have some friends there staying at the Boardwalk...got to call them so I can get a first hand report...bummer living in Atlanta...to far for a day trip :(

I got an Instant Message from a friend at 8:30 tonight saying that SSE was open. I jumped into my car and sped over to Epcot. The wall wasn't down but they had a portion of it opened to allow guests in.
- The signs going in are brand spanking new, and they change colors.
- The vehicles now have screens on them.
- Going up it looks brand new. No crappy projections on the left side anymore. Near the top of the lift your screen will point you in the direction of a camera and tell you to show your face and smile. You'll see yourself on the screen next to the camera. Once your picture is taken the screen on your vehicles stays off until the end of the attraction.
- Judi Dench is the new narrator.
- Once at the top of the hill the projections of the caveman and mammoth are gone, but brand new projections of a caveman fighting a mammoth are now there.
- They “cave-peeps” look almost exactly the same except for the leader moves much more fluidly.
- The pharaoh's seen looks identical aside from his new crown.
- The first real noticeable difference after that is the Shakespearean actors are gone. There is now a Greek teacher with four pupils sitting down in front of him.
- The "Berries and Creme" guys that were sitting on the step near the statue are gone and the statue is totally different and is now covering her .
- The paper boy is moved and facing an empty wall for some reason. It was very odd looking and I'm not sure it will even stay there. He also has a new voice.
- The clip of Snow White is gone and there is now a full fledge theater with silhouettes of people sitting in front of the screen where the old black and white movie was shown. The family that was watching Walt Disney now has an elaborate living room and are watching the moon walk.
- Directly after, where the Japanese girl and the boy were talking over the internet is now an elaborate computer room.
- After that, there is a new garage scene -- complete with mailbox and car outside. It actually looks very, very, very haunted house-ish (think PsychoScareapy - Home For The Holidays) as you approach it. Inside is a guy sitting on a computer and we are told people started working to bring computers into our very own homes.
- The following scene -- with all the pretty lights before you see earth -- is now a matrix.
- Once you start your descent backwards the video screens turn back on and you answer a series of questions on the touch screen. "Where do you live?", "When on vacation do you worry more about your home or pets?", "Are you a planner or do you like to wing it.", etc.
- Everything from the entire descent of the ride is now stripped out and gone. In place are a bunch of trippy lights. Your attention is turned to the video screens where you see a video that’s based on your answers. I looked around and everyone around us had a different video.
All the costumes and sets look amazing. A lot of the animatronics move fantastic now and look much more lifelike. I'm not sure how much I like Judi Dench as the narrator. It has a very different tone and her narration style is very different than Jeremy Irons.
We actually broke down on the ride in front of burning Rome for about five minutes and were afraid we would be evac'd. Thankfully we weren't. It seems like the track didn't even get touched. It's still as bumpy as ever.
I was a little disappointed with the descent since it was 100% totally on screens. We also never saw anything with out picture, which is expected since its only soft openings. Overall it was a nice update to a classic attraction and once everything is up and running it will be a major success.

Oh man, 'the Berries & Creme guys'...
that just cracked me up!!

Thanks for the update though..
One more week and hopefully it is open so I can see it complete!
:sohappy:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
If anyone is interested there is a pretty good report and a few pics over on themeparkave.

http://www.themeparkave.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=1

:wave:
that is a great pic of the computer room. thanks for the link

I've been a member of these boards for a little over 2 years now. I hardly ever post but read almost everyday. I simply wanted to say that Spaceship Earth is my favorite attraction at Disney and I've been extremely excited about the love it's finally getting. However, when discussing this attraction would it be too difficult for everyone to spell the word..."descent" properly? If we're all going to inquire/critique this portion of the attraction so much then it should at least should not be spelled "decent" in every single post. It's just been driving me insane reading the conversations, thanks guys!
i suggest you never read my post... im the worlds worst speller..... but at least i spell grammar correctly :D

Nothing. There is nothing there. For the whole descent you watch the video screen. :hurl:
im concerned about the dome in 180top.... anyone know of that is where the star field starts etc. i would hate for this space not to be used. i wonder how much of the large computer room backs up into 180top? actually, is the new scene on the left only (formerly the kids talking) or on both sides?

aladdin2007

[/quote}
im concerned about the dome in 180top.... anyone know of that is where the star field starts etc. i would hate for this space not to be used. i wonder how much of the large computer room backs up into 180top? actually, is the new scene on the left only (formerly the kids talking) or on both sides?[/quote]

from what I have read on here that scene is actually on both sides now, before the right side was always covered up, now its on both sides. The star field is still at the top and someone said it seemed like there were more stars than before, but other than that apparently nothing new. :shrug:
I hope the music up there is good. it was so perfect before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was meant to be a new Starfield projector on order for 180top, so I`m hoping this is in use. Trivia; the original 1982 model was custom built by WED since a normal planetarium projector was too small :D

The new show scenes so far as I`m aware replace the original Comms Center, Home and Office computer and Network ops scenes - the first originally spanned both sides of the track if we recall from the small 180top thread earlier this year ;) - though confirmation of the new cinema scene would be good since there`s a possibility it takes up the right side space of Comms too. The tunnel into 180top I believe is a new one. Again, I`m making educated guesses from the info I`ve received 4000 miles away.

As for the descent - conflicting news. 2 reports have said there are lighting fx there, with more installations visible but turned off. Disneychick1984 says there is nothing. Which is it?

The excitement builds.... :lol:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
from what I have read on here that scene is actually on both sides now, before the right side was always covered up, now its on both sides. The star field is still at the top and someone said it seemed like there were more stars than before, but other than that apparently nothing new. :shrug:
I hope the music up there is good. it was so perfect before.
ahhh, i got it. that is a little dissapointing if the dome is the same ole same ole. but then again, i havent seen in person so im not going to be too critical.

RSoxNo1

It seems that all WDI knows how to do anymore is gut good attractions and replace them with video screens. Some recent examples: Seas with nemo and friends, The Laugh Floor, Mission:Space, now Spaceship Earth, and Toy story mania is on it's way. What ever happened good old fashioned animatronics and show scenes?:hammer: Why can't we get some fresh new attractions that actually take some imagination to create? I'm not dissing WDI because it's probably due to budget cuts, it just makes me sad. :( However, I'm still really looking forward to riding SSE in 2 weeks (hopefully).

Although I agree that animatronic driven shows/rides are better than most of the screen projections, I really don't think your assessment is accurate.

Seas with Nemo and Friends is screen based, but it has very rich sets, and moving pieces. It was also not replacing an animatronic driven ride - it's definitely an improvement over the seacabs, but in reality it was replacing nothing as the seacabs haven't been open in quite some time.

The Laugh Floor: There were two animatronics in the Timekeeper, but that was also a screen based show. I miss the timekeeper, but I thought the Laugh Floor was a welcome addition.

Mission Space: Horizons was an unsafe structure. I miss the ride, and would rather have that than Mission Space, but at the same time - Mission Space brings the crowds in more than Horizons does.

Spaceship Earth is still an AA driven show, they just integrated on screen video screens to go along with it. The descent of spaceship earth was not animatronic driven before, it was mostly projection screens if I'm not mistaken.

Toy Story Mania replaced Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The two attractions are completely different in concept so it's hard to compare. They're both interactive though, which I think is another trend that Disney is gravitating towards. I thought Who Wants to be a Millionaire was fun - but I am also looking forward to Toy Story Mania. I too am nervous as to how it will work, but I'll be reserving judgement until I see it.

hollywood<3

Dang still gotta wait until February to ride. To those of you who posted the mini-reviews: thanks so much!! That'll hold me over for abit.

R.I.P. Berries and Creme guys

Slowjack

Mission Space: Horizons was an unsafe structure. I miss the ride, and would rather have that than Mission Space, but at the same time - Mission Space brings the crowds in more than Horizons does.

Spaceship Earth is still an AA driven show, they just integrated on screen video screens to go along with it. The descent of spaceship earth was not animatronic driven before, it was mostly projection screens if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not the poster you were answering, but I thought I would jump in. I have no problem with Mission Space replacing Horizons, since Horizons was a ghost town at the end of its life. But that's not really an argument about which is better. I mean, if someone says they prefer X over Y, pointing out that Y is more popular than X isn't a valid response to that unless you think that Disney should always do what is currently more popular without regards to anything else. I should also point out that it remains to be seen what kind of shelf life Mission Space has. I know my wife (who wasn't a Horizons fan, mind you) has already said she doesn't care to ride MS again. And she's only ridden it once. That may be an extreme case, but I just don't think it's going to have the legs that, say, Test Track has.

As for Spaceship Earth, the previous descent has dimensional scenes, although I wouldn't call them AAs because I don't remember any movement. Still the point is you were surrounded by this grand environment and you were looking all around you. If it turns out that this is going to be replaced by flashing lights and instead you are supposed to stare at an LCD screen for four minutes, I think some of us will rightly be disappointed. I've got nothing against interactivity (I'm a Horizons fan, after all), but I was imagining that one would make choices that would change what was happening outside your car--that would be cool. If I'm just watching a short movie on an LCD screen...well, I can do that right here at my desk. So here's hoping that there's more to it than that.

EdandAmy

Combine that with all the fingerprints from the turnstiles they have stored in their secret bunker and they'll have quite a collection.

Oh and don't forget you can link purchasing details to people that use their room key for purchases AND you can match up flight details if they used Magical Express

So lets recap, per person we have:
* biometric info
* face pictures
* where they are from, the type of planner they are, etc..(from SSE end of ride questions)
* what types of food they eat
* how often they eat
* what items do they shop for
* where did they fly from

Its all coming to gather now.... Its time to set the conspiracy theorists loose! :lookaroun :lol:

p.s. to keep this not completly off topic. It would be cool if they could sell pictures of the people's faces on the rides, superimpossed on some of the AA's. I could be a caveman in SSE! ug ug ug

EPCOT Explorer

Wow,lots of great news pouring in...I won't see and videos or listen to audio but just reading is cool.I LOVE how they have updated the classic scenes...but I'm kinda upset that the "glitter city" and the model of SSE is gone.I wonder I they are going to put new stuff in there?Hope so.

Any mention of the term "Spaceship Earth" in the narration.Also how does the narration begin?

I have to wait to next summer to see SSE so I'd appretiate some answers.

SirNim

...but I'm kinda upset that the "glitter city" and the model of SSE is gone.I wonder I they are going to put new stuff in there?Hope so.
Only silver lining is maybe they'll throw 'em up online at auction and I can forever bask in the glory of Skyscraper #4 from the "City of Tomorrow" diorama from the comfort of my very own home office! :lookaroun

Pseybert

Update for you guys: I went to the park at opening, construction walls were still up. Cast Member said that there might be a soft opening later tonight. I left the park at around 10 AM, and my friend called me at 11:00 saying they were setting a roped queue, I assume outside of the construction walls. He had to leave the park at 11:30, though.

I found my camera charger, so if the ride is open tonight when I got at 8:45, I'll have pictures/videos.

kcnole

The AA has a beard and is sitting away from the riders. With only one ride I couldn't tell.

I'd guess it's Woz. I'll go to the video tape when I get home. Can't share it till then.

If it has a beard then I'm going to assume it is meant to represent Woz as I don't remember too many pictures of Jobs having a beard back then. I'll have to do some more searching.

*edit*

Actually there are a few pictures of him with a beard, but I think he was known more for not having one than for having one. Woz has always had the beard.

Here's an image of him with the beard.

steve_jobs1.jpg

brkgnews

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I being an actor loved the theatre scene with the two actors doing Oedopus Rex! Sad! It will be missed!:cry:
I have a crush... on you, Pamelia.
I have a crush on you, Pamelia.
Let's go back to my place and read Shakespeare...
If we play Hamlet can I Ophelia?

(Yeah, yeah, the words are off, but the sentiment is there. Kungaloosh!)

Expo_Seeker40

but merf you have to remember that Spaceship Earth has NEVER had an elaborate ending.

The original ending had no music at all. It was just sound effects and some toned beeps and maybe a wharped version of "jingle bells". The ending was filled with random blinking lights. Some peg-board light up walls. And square projection screens showing communications such as satelite images computer data etc.

The tomorrow's child ending did bring in an actual theme and purpose....but again it was all the peg board walls and square projection screens at the end...and some new blinking lights and prism shaped projections that just featured purple colored children jiving with walter cronkite.

The jeremy irons version got rid of all of this....and used a false drop down ceiling that made the space smaller than it was.

It had the random floating news screen in space and floating classroom in the abandoned space station set.

BY THE WAY for all of you who know about "the girl in the window" :lookaroun apparently right before SSE closed this summer someone looked back to see the window and confirmed it had been removed...most likely some early prepwork for the summer rehab.

Anyway the ending was filled with people on MORE videophones "surprise tommy, AT&T is making us use videophones"

And then fiber optic lights. The only cool things about that ending where the lights, the city of tomorrow model....and the SSE model.

Hopefully the new musical score...and some lightning effects and good projections will make the experience worthwhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom