Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

CaptainAmerica

It could be an innocent case of worn out caulk, perhaps exacerbated by a child pulling a loose piece and exposing that "peephole."
Yeah I'm more concerned that this is just bad show than some kind of scheme from secret perverts in the basement of Epcot. A bathroom should never be in that state of disrepair.

But let's not pretend that every time there is a sting operation in Central FL wherein there's new registrations on the sex offender registry that Disney CMs aren't usually among them.
HR doesn't get access to someone's browser history when they conduct job interviews.

Casper Gutman

Except that behind that worn out sealant you should have tile, mortar and backer board. There’s not supposed to just be a big hole right behind the toilet. You should have tight penetrations for the carrier.
You're a knowledgeable, reasonable poster Lazy - do you think this is a "peephole?"

PS: This isn't a "gotcha" question - I respect your opinion and really want to hear it.

CaptainAmerica

Except that behind that worn out sealant you should have tile, mortar and backer board. There’s not supposed to just be a big hole right behind the toilet.
It looks like the whole toilet sunk down about 1/2 an inch from where it ought to have been.

You should have tight penetrations for the carrier.
the-office-steve-carell.gif

mergatroid

Years ago there was a 'peep hole' in the radio/security room in the castle in the MK. It allowed cast members who knew to watch the ladies from 'Kids of the Kingdom' dance troupe to be observed when changing. Apparently is was fairly common knowledge and one CM took a camcorder in and filmed the ladies changing. The video was copied and passed around, even being shown at a CM stag night at some stage. Disney security got involved and decided it prudent to set up a sting operation allowing CM's in to watch several times before doing anything. It wasn't till a police officer based at the MK overheard Disney security talking about it in a break room they shared, that the police were involved on his insistence. There were a good number of other peeping incidents at several resorts also.

For those interested in these type of stories the book 'The Mouse Betrayed' contains all the info (and I have no involvement in it) along with tales of sexual assault on a fireman at RCD fire station by other firemen and other shocking tales.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Years ago there was a 'peep hole' in the radio/security room in the castle in the MK. It allowed cast members who knew to watch the ladies from 'Kids of the Kingdom' dance troupe to be observed when changing. Apparently is was fairly common knowledge and one CM took a camcorder in and filmed the ladies changing. The video was copied and passed around, even being shown at a CM stag night at some stage. Disney security got involved and decided it prudent to set up a sting operation allowing CM's in to watch several times before doing anything. It wasn't till a police officer based at the MK overheard Disney security talking about it in a break room they shared, that the police were involved on his insistence. There were a good number of other peeping incidents at several resorts also.

For those interested in these type of stories the book 'The Mouse Betrayed' contains all the info (and I have no involvement in it) along with tales of sexual assault on a fireman at RCD fire station by other firemen and other shocking tales.
Yep the rites of passage the new firemen had to go through was horrifying.

lazyboy97o

You're a knowledgeable, reasonable poster Lazy - do you think this is a "peephole?"

PS: This isn't a "gotcha" question - I respect your opinion and really want to hear it.
With the information provided, yes. To me it is the simplest explanation I can hypothesize. Below is a link to the installation instructions for a water closet carrier which is what you use to actually have a wall hung toilet. At the very bottom on the last page is a section showing the completed installation. Look at where there are holes in the Finished Wall, for the bolts and piping. That top portion of a toilet is usually about 1” thick, so you’re looking at the bolts being at least 1 ½” - 2” from the top of the fixture. That’s a big hole for nobody to notice.

If you’re having your bathroom redone it may very well be that the same people install the toilet and the tile. That’s not usually the case with commercial construction where things are specialized. The guy installing the “sheet rock” doesn’t know what toilet is going there, so how would he know he could get away with a bigger hole? Then the tile guy just goes along with that? Then the plumber does too? All the while nobody from the construction management team, Disney or the architect notices and cares? I’ve seen shoddy work but this seems like a bit much when compared to the ease of using a drill and some sealant.

Poor maintenance I find even harder to believe. Tile is used in bathrooms because it doesn’t tend to rot. Contractors being cheap and not using moister resistant “sheet rock” happens all to frequently but that doesn’t explain the tile, or why this spot would be so wet that it would rot through.

I could be wrong but I find it incredibly suspicious.

asianway

There was a hole drilled between two of the stalls in the SE mens stalls 10ish years ago. May have been from a relocated tp holder but creepy nonetheless

JoeCamel

With the information provided, yes. To me it is the simplest explanation I can hypothesize. Below is a link to the installation instructions for a water closet carrier which is what you use to actually have a wall hung toilet. At the very bottom on the last page is a section showing the completed installation. Look at where there are holes in the Finished Wall, for the bolts and piping. That top portion of a toilet is usually about 1” thick, so you’re looking at the bolts being at least 1 ½” - 2” from the top of the fixture. That’s a big hole for nobody to notice.

If you’re having your bathroom redone it may very well be that the same people install the toilet and the tile. That’s not usually the case with commercial construction where things are specialized. The guy installing the “sheet rock” doesn’t know what toilet is going there, so how would he know he could get away with a bigger hole? Then the tile guy just goes along with that? Then the plumber does too? All the while nobody from the construction management team, Disney or the architect notices and cares? I’ve seen shoddy work but this seems like a bit much when compared to the ease of using a drill and some sealant.

Poor maintenance I find even harder to believe. Tile is used in bathrooms because it doesn’t tend to rot. Contractors being cheap and not using moister resistant “sheet rock” happens all to frequently but that doesn’t explain the tile, or why this spot would be so wet that it would rot through.

I could be wrong but I find it incredibly suspicious.

It looks like it has been recaulked many times so I suspect this is a retrofit poorly done and just the minimum to let the ticket be closed. Peephole? I don't know

lazyboy97o

It looks like it has been recaulked many times so I suspect this is a retrofit poorly done and just the minimum to let the ticket be closed. Peephole? I don't know
A retrofit of what though? The fixture was installed too high and the carrier was adjusted with the finished wall remaining in place?

lazyboy97o

A new toilet, probably a slightly different design that left gaps in the opening which were filled with caulk not done properly with a new backer piece.
The hole is near the center, not where the bolts are located on a wall hung fixture. You’re talking about moving the carrier over a few inches and adjusting the toilet down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom