Rumor Pecos Bills to be rethemed?

castlecake2.0

What a really bizzare thing to bring up or think of.

There is zero indication they are abandoning the Frontierland name or doing really anything to it besides lessening the wild west angle at the one end so the weird Critter Country talk is moot. And I'm seeing what they are going with for a more natural transition between attractions throughout the entire land and Beyond
Nah, the abandoning of the Frontierland nomenclature isn’t too far off.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Being on the frontier meant you were homesteading the wilderness (or someone else's land). You were cut off from regular supplies. Neighbors were hours away, if you had any. There were no police or medics or firefighters to call in emergencies. You had to fend for yourself with growing your own crops, hunting your own food, and defending yourself against hostiles (animals and humans).

Nothing in Frontierland is 'the frontier.'

Except maybe the shooting gallery. At least we have that.

Advisable Joseph

If this happens from what I heard, it'd just be Frontierland as-is with the Critter Country named slapped on with some minor retheming. I haven't heard any form of expansion to the land though.

There is work of some sort west of Critter Country:

Again, from how it sounds to me, I believe this deals with BOH movement to support BBTM and Moana. Unless things have recently been downscaled further, there was to be a good bit of movement here.

Expanding Critter Country makes more sense to me, as I think Moana is too far south.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

More than likely. The previous plan (New Orleans Square) was scaled back and then shelved. If it goes CB-centric the surrounding land wouldn't require an extensive retheme being lumped in with "Critter Country" as will Tiana's Bayou Adventure, eventually. The idea gives credence to Frontierland being folded into it's adjoining lands (Liberty and Adventure) and New Frontierland (with new name) beginning Beyond Big Thunder. To work, Peco's would still require a retheme though not to the extent previously conceptualized with Tiana.
Do you think they’d rename Frontierland? I feel like the recognizability is too strong. Nearly 70 years of Frontierland being a thing (starting with the original, of course), it would be strange to throw it out. What would they even call the new land? Desertland? Southernland? I guess Westernland from overseas could work, but I really think Frontierland should stay

Moth

More than likely. The previous plan (New Orleans Square) was scaled back and then shelved. If it goes CB-centric the surrounding land wouldn't require an extensive retheme being lumped in with "Critter Country" as will Tiana's Bayou Adventure, eventually. The idea gives credence to Frontierland being folded into it's adjoining lands (Liberty and Adventure) and New Frontierland (with new name) beginning Beyond Big Thunder. To work, Peco's would still require a retheme though not to the extent previously conceptualized with Tiana.
Would CBMJ and TBA be folded into Liberty or Adventure?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Do you think they’d rename Frontierland? I feel like the recognizability is too strong.
They just renamed half of EPCOT to "lands" that don't make any sense to anyone except some "genius" marketing people, hell, they've renamed entire parks whenever it's suited the marketing needs. There are no sacred cows anymore within Disney.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you think they’d rename Frontierland? I feel like the recognizability is too strong. Nearly 70 years of Frontierland being a thing (starting with the original, of course), it would be strange to throw it out. What would they even call the new land? Desertland? Southernland? I guess Westernland from overseas could work, but I really think Frontierland should stay

Would CBMJ and TBA be folded into Liberty or Adventure?

Well, a Mississippi Riverboat has it's own port in Liberty Square. And an upstate gothic manor is in Liberty Square. And Diamond Horseshoe is in Liberty Square. And up to now, in "Frontierland," bears were singing 1950s and 1960s country-western songs, and cartoon vignettes from a very much settled part of the U.S. were featured in the log flume... so....

The idea of "Liberty Square" or "Frontierland" being a thematically cogent mini-land is just laughable.

It takes a lot of pixie dust to believe that it somehow worked. And remember, I'm a pixie duster. And I ain't snorting that baloney.

Any sort of reconfiguration could be helpful. Or, if it winds up just being a big mess... well, it's a big thematic mess right now, and always has been.

Walt and friends somehow got into their heads that "Southern" equals "Frontier." It's indicative of Hollywood Americana Manifest Destiny mythology that draws and quarters actual history and geography.

Yes, but knowing this place, there could be problem.

Remember what former Imagineer Jim Shull was saying

God I hope he’s wrong about Zootopia. Moana can go in Fire Mountain’s unused plot and Villains can go alongside RoA, but Zootopia should stay out of MK unless it’s an attraction in a general land. I hate the idea of IP lands in a castle park (Galaxy’s Edge in DL is the worst thing to ever happen to that park)

Well, a Mississippi Riverboat has it's own port in Liberty Square. And an upstate gothic manor is in Liberty Square. And Diamond Horseshoe is in Liberty Square. And up to now, in "Frontierland," bears were singing 1950s and 1960s country-western songs, and cartoon vignettes from a very much settled part of the U.S. were featured in the log flume... so....

The idea of "Liberty Square" or "Frontierland" being a thematically cogent mini-land is just laughable.

It takes a lot of pixie dust to believe that it somehow worked. And remember, I'm a pixie duster. And I ain't snorting that baloney.

Any sort of reconfiguration could be helpful. Or, if it winds up just being a big mess... well, it's a big thematic mess right now, and always has been.

Walt and friends somehow got into their heads that "Southern" equals "Frontier." It's indicative of Hollywood Americana Manifest Destiny mythology that draws and quarters actual history and geography.
I’m less worried about thematic consistency (Disneys never really had that) and moreso worried about losing an iconic land that has been a part of the parks for their entire history.

Brer Oswald

Frontierland was never a literal term to abide by. It was always a land that represented America’s past. Rural midwestern and southern USA. The only difference between Frontierland 1971-2023 and Frontierland today is the visual intrusion of Bayou Adventure. I think they could’ve tweaked the facade in a way that didn’t change things too much but also just enough for the new theme. As is, it looks like it belongs in Adventureland.

Frontierland was never a literal term to abide by. It was always a land that represented America’s past. Rural midwestern and southern USA. The only difference between Frontierland 1971-2023 and Frontierland today is the visual intrusion of Bayou Adventure. I think they could’ve tweaked the facade in a way that didn’t change things too much but also just enough for the new theme. As is, it looks like it belongs in Adventureland.
You can really tell MK’s TBA was designed for DL and they didn’t bother changing it to fit. What a world we live in that the Country Bears got more love, care, and thought into their new attraction (and likely restaurant) than one of Disney’s premier movie IPs. Tiana deserves more love, they did her dirty

Brer Oswald

You can really tell MK’s TBA was designed for DL and they didn’t bother changing it to fit. What a world we live in that the Country Bears got more love, care, and thought into their new attraction (and likely restaurant) than one of Disney’s premier movie IPs. Tiana deserves more love, they did her dirty
I don’t know if I would classify Princess and the Frog as one of Disney’s “premier movie IPs”, though Splash Mountain was certainly one of Disney’s “premier theme park attractions”, so the retheme should have had more thought and care put into it.

I don’t know if I would classify Princess and the Frog as one of Disney’s “premier movie IPs”, though Splash Mountain was certainly one of Disney’s “premier theme park attractions”, so the retheme should have had more thought and care put into it.
I mean I wouldn’t either, although it’s one of my personal faves. Disney has really been pushing it though, so that’s what I was thinking of- it’s one of their “favorites” to use, alone with Frozen, Moana, Coco, Encanto, and Aladdin.

mysto

May as well embrace the madness! Replace the shooting gallery with a re-creation of 1980's CBGB's punk nighclub. Velvet rope access via the DVC lounge.

I hope they're not listening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom