Pecos Bill Cafe closing for short refurbishment to launch new menu

French Quarter

I have been thinking about this more. Slow day, I know. Lol Anyway, burger options don't seem to be in abundance in the other parks so why is it a big deal that there will be less of them in MK, if this happens?

Jon81uk

I have been thinking about this more. Slow day, I know. Lol Anyway, burger options don't seem to be in abundance in the other parks so why is it a big deal that there will be less of them in MK, if this happens?

Epcot has two places (American pavillion and Electric Umbrella), but they are very far apart.
AK only had Restaurantosaurus for burgers.
DHS has three, Backlot Express, Rosie's (part of the Sunset Market area) and ABC commisonery. This is why people keep complaining about the food options at DHS.

MissM

Busiest park in the world. (Oh and Cosmic Rays is already overcrowded most the time as well, meaning 100% of people who want a burger now have to go to an already packed location.)

hpyhnt 1000

There IS plenty reason to keep Tortuga open. They just don't. MK counter service hasn't made sense for about 20 years.

No one said there will be no burgers in MK. But they ARE taking away the only other place to get a burger in MK. And given that burgers are always going to be a popular choice for ease and familiarity for many guests, taking away the only other place to get a QS burger in the single busiest park in the world - especially leaving only one, already overcrowded place at the other end of the park - is a bit shortsighted of a move. Especially when there are shuttered or seasonal QS locations which could easily offer more unique/different/expanded options much easier. Simple fact is that Pecos is almost always busy. People clearly are ok eating the current menu there. You simply can't act like it's a ghost town or that no one likes the burgers there because clearly people do.

I am all for expanding food options in the park. But I personally feel it's shooting themselves in the foot to take one of the largest "anchor" quick service locations and changing it away from a tried-and-true staple that a large number of guests eat. Cosmic Rays is often overwhelmed as it is and making it the last remaining burger joint is asking for trouble.

Agree with both of these posts. This situation is very similar to what many complain about with attractions: WDW chooses to replace attractions rather than add attractions. Why change out the menu at Pecos Bill and (likely) place more stress on Cosmic Ray's when Tortuga Tavern sits empty right next door? Add to that the Tomorrowland Terrace and Diamond Horseshoe and Aunt Polly's and you have 3 more eating areas that are closed apart from a few weeks a year. Why replace an existing menu when you have 4 other dining locations that are sitting empty?

At least the Adventureland Veranda is finally going to be used again.

But this whole situation symbolizes what is wrong with today's WDW. It's all about cutting operational costs rather than guest experience. No excuse for there to be that many dining locations shuttered. I'm all for variety in WDW food options, but removing burgers for burritos while other places remain closed is not the way to do it.

janoimagine

since Disney don't publish their nutritional info we'll likely never know. I doubt they plan to change how the food is sourced so it will probably come out in a wash, tasty but still unhealthy.
That needs to change ... I know that seeing the calorie count on menu items has definitely made me think twice about what I am ordering.

I have no problem eating fast food ... burgers and fries, but lets face it, what they pass off as a burger and fries at the Disney parks is akin to a burger that has been sitting in the warming bin of a Sunoco for an hour.

If I am going to eat unhealthy, at least make it good, its really not that hard to make a great hamburger ... and I dont care how many 'free' toppings you pile on that piece of gray meat, it is still marginal at best.

Last edited:

pajammies

Ahem http://bit.ly/1KSWs6B

Look at the fixins bar! I'll eat there four times. In one day.

Not just the fixins, look at the last sentence...
"Look for traditional tortilla chips and Chicken Enchilada Soup as scrumptious side dishes. For dessert? Mini churros with dipping chocolate and Sopapillas (a crispy, puffy, fried pastry) make for a perfectly sweet ending to your meal."

I'll take all of that too!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not just the fixins, look at the last sentence...
"Look for traditional tortilla chips and Chicken Enchilada Soup as scrumptious side dishes. For dessert? Mini churros with dipping chocolate and Sopapillas (a crispy, puffy, fried pastry) make for a perfectly sweet ending to your meal."

I'll take all of that too!

Churros and sopapillas?!? Best day ever!

doctornick

There seems to be two main complaints on this thread, one entirely reasonable and one (IMHO) pretty silly.

The reasonable complaint is that MK does not have enough quick service places because it has shuttered (ahem "operate seasonally") too many places. For the busiest theme park on Earth, it is crazy to have so many places that do not operate regularly. Opening Skipper's Cantina is a step in the right direction but they really need to open Tortuga, Tomorrowland Terrace, Diamond Horseshoe and Aunt Polly's regularly. At least have 2 of them open all the time.

The less rational complaint is that of not having enough burger places. I think moving away from too much of the same food is a good thing and a Tex-Mex menu fits in well with the ambiance of Frontierland. If they open Tortuga regularly, it can feature more Caribbean inspired food. I fail to see how offering people more varied options in the park is a bad thing.

lazyboy97o

The less rational complaint is that of not having enough burger places. I think moving away from too much of the same food is a good thing and a Tex-Mex menu fits in well with the ambiance of Frontierland. If they open Tortuga regularly, it can feature more Caribbean inspired food. I fail to see how offering people more varied options in the park is a bad thing.
Because like it or not, burgers are a staple of American quick dining. This leaves only one place for that option and it is an already overcrowded, over taxed facility. If Cosmic Rays, according to survey results, does just fine handling additional demand then there is less incentive to reopen the mothballed facilities to better meet demand.

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

There seems to be two main complaints on this thread, one entirely reasonable and one (IMHO) pretty silly.

The reasonable complaint is that MK does not have enough quick service places because it has shuttered (ahem "operate seasonally") too many places. For the busiest theme park on Earth, it is crazy to have so many places that do not operate regularly. Opening Skipper's Cantina is a step in the right direction but they really need to open Tortuga, Tomorrowland Terrace, Diamond Horseshoe and Aunt Polly's regularly. At least have 2 of them open all the time.

All good points. I feel that Disney is trying to match food with areas of the parks better. More variety is certainly a good thing. Epcot is entirely diverse when you take WS into account. Burgers are boring especially the ones made from circus animals like Disney's are:p. But seriously, I can get a burger at McDonalds, I want different on vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom