Pecos Bill Cafe closing for short refurbishment to launch new menu

I know that MK could support more counter service places than it does, but if they wanted to serve a menu of burritos and rice bowls... they literally could just open up the other side of Pecos Bill's (Tortuga Tavern)!

Here's Tortuga Tavern's menu:
  • Beef Burrito
    filled with Cilantro Rice and Black Beans
    $9.49
  • Chicken Burrito
    $9.49
  • Vegetarian Burrito
    $9.49
  • Beef Rice Bowl
    $11.49
  • Chicken Rice Bowl
    $11.49
  • Vegetarian Rice Bowl
    $11.49
  • Southwest Chicken Salad
    $10.99

Shouldn't the taco salad be in there, somewhere, or did they ditch that on the Tortuga side, when they got rid of it in Pecos Bill's?

NearTheEars

They desperately need to upgrade the typical counter service burger across WDW. They are awful.
The flatbread pizzas were a nice step up from the old pizza, now let's do something about the burgers. It can't be that difficult.
A smaller version of the delicious Sci Fi Dine In Burger, maybe?

Yes! The burger I had a SciFi the last time was great.

4disneylovers

Just my opinion..but the last two meals I have had at cosmic rays were horrible. I had a chicken sandwich and a burger. The burger might be the same at CR and PB but I think CR has lost it recently. Not only the food but the service too. We waited for a bacon cheeseburger while 6 of them were passed back to people that ordered after us. Weird.

asianway

I had a burger from Pecos Bill's with all the fixin' bar stuff last July and I honestly can't see what everyone's missing here. It's a low-grade frozen beef patty of the sort one would find at a school cafeteria. With all the sauteed mushrooms and stuff I was able to dump on it, I was able to make something sort of resembling a bad facsimile of a 5 Guys burger, though at twice the price.
A change from this would be welcome.
Pecos burgers are practically inedible. Why on earth these are sacrosant to so many comes back to the mental piece. You associate being at Pecos Bills with good memories, and somehow, you remember the burger being better than it is...

Mickey_777

Pecos burgers are practically inedible. Why on earth these are sacrosant to so many comes back to the mental piece. You associate being at Pecos Bills with good memories, and somehow, you remember the burger being better than it is...

Precisely. Nice memories or "tradition" are the only way to justify wanting the burgers to stay. That or a terrible palate.

French Quarter

As for taking away burger options... They ARE. Plain and simple. Now there's one less place to get one. Whether or not that affects actual restaurant attendance, who knows. Surely at least a little.

They are taking away the burger option from one restaurant in MK. They are not taking away the burger option from MK, as some people keep implying. That was the distinction I was trying to make.

I'm sure that there will people who won't eat at Pecos because they like blander food. However, I would imagine they will gain more customers than they will lose. There are a lot of people who would be quite happy with the selection and some will even make a point of going there. And, as I said before, the majority of people eat there because it happens to be right in front of them when they are hungry.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure that there will people who won't eat at Pecos because they like blander food. However, I would imagine they will gain more customers than they will lose. There are a lot of people who would be quite happy with the selection and some will even make a point of going there. And, as I said before, the majority of people eat there because it happens to be right in front of them when they are hungry.
If that were the case then there would be plenty of reason to keep Tortuga Tavern open longer and more often. Additional crowding would also be a negative for the guest experience, as it would only show that guests will tolerate even longer lines and crowding at quick service restaurants resulting in continued disinterest in addressing the lack of capacity.

ToTBellHop

If that were the case then there would be plenty of reason to keep Tortuga Tavern open longer and more often. Additional crowding would also be a negative for the guest experience, as it would only show that guests will tolerate even longer lines and crowding at quick service restaurants resulting in continued disinterest in addressing the lack of capacity.
There IS plenty reason to keep Tortuga open. They just don't. MK counter service hasn't made sense for about 20 years.

4disneylovers

Shouldn't the taco salad be in there, somewhere, or did they ditch that on the Tortuga side, when they got rid of it in Pecos Bill's?

There was no taco salad at Pecos or Tortuga when i was there in June of this year. I was so disappointed. I had the taco salad at PB for the first time in 2014 and really enjoyed it.

MissM

They are taking away the burger option from one restaurant in MK. They are not taking away the burger option from MK, as some people keep implying. That was the distinction I was trying to make.
No one said there will be no burgers in MK. But they ARE taking away the only other place to get a burger in MK. And given that burgers are always going to be a popular choice for ease and familiarity for many guests, taking away the only other place to get a QS burger in the single busiest park in the world - especially leaving only one, already overcrowded place at the other end of the park - is a bit shortsighted of a move. Especially when there are shuttered or seasonal QS locations which could easily offer more unique/different/expanded options much easier. Simple fact is that Pecos is almost always busy. People clearly are ok eating the current menu there. You simply can't act like it's a ghost town or that no one likes the burgers there because clearly people do.

I am all for expanding food options in the park. But I personally feel it's shooting themselves in the foot to take one of the largest "anchor" quick service locations and changing it away from a tried-and-true staple that a large number of guests eat. Cosmic Rays is often overwhelmed as it is and making it the last remaining burger joint is asking for trouble.

French Quarter

You simply can't act like it's a ghost town or that no one likes the burgers there because clearly people do.

I am all for expanding food options in the park. But I personally feel it's shooting themselves in the foot to take one of the largest "anchor" quick service locations and changing it away from a tried-and-true staple that a large number of guests eat. Cosmic Rays is often overwhelmed as it is and making it the last remaining burger joint is asking for trouble.

I have read the entire thread and I didn't see one person say that Pecos is a ghost town. I think everyone agrees that it is a popular location currently. My point is that it really doesn't matter what they sell, they will continue to be popular. This is because of the location and perhaps the atmosphere.

Again, I think you are overestimating the number of people that will go out of their way to find a specific QS food item. I would and you might but we aren't the average guest.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
this a great. A kingdom where burgers and burritos can live together in harmony and peace.

Seriously. The over-analyzation of this change is a bit much. People want variety and choices. I have read this on this forum over and over and over.

I understand that every change WDW makes is a deveasting blow to everyone's soul. But you really want to grab your pitch forks for this change? Or cook up some idea in your head how this is the worst long term decision ever by some crazy logic? Pass.

now let's get back to our regularly scheduled program. How Frozen is ruining Epcot. ;)

PinnySmart

I completely agree. My dad and I always had a BBQ sandwich there while we watched the parade. I remember thinking each and every time that the sandwich was really not that great but sharing that time with my dad made it incredible. So although I will miss the BBQ for that reason, and definitely not because it was delicious(especially since Flame Tree came along) I am excited about the new menu. MK always needed more variety and I think this change along with BOG, Gaston's pork shank, waffle sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow and of course CHH they are accomplishing that goal. That's just to name a few because there really is a lot of unique quick service now at MK. We loved the pot roast mac and cheese I just can't remember where we got it. I do wish the TT would stay open. The noodle station was really unique for a theme park but I think that seating area is much more valuable to them as a dessert party location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom