Passporter vs. Unofficial Guide vs. Birnbaums?

rimousefan84

This may have been posted already but I'm new here so I don't really know how to run a search for past posts. I was wondering which guide you folks usually rely on when planning a disney trip. My fiance and I have previously used Birnbaums but find the information in it to be redundant, and not always up to date. Your posts will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch and I can't wait to hear from you.

Lucky

Unofficial Guide has the most and best information. Birnbaum's is basically an ad for Disney: more pixie dust, but less info for planning a trip.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Unofficial Guide has the most and best information. Birnbaum's is basically an ad for Disney: more pixie dust, but less info for planning a trip.

I agree. I get both every year. I use the Unofficial Guide more for when I am planning, but Birnbaums is good to have as a quick referance, and also it's fun to look back at past additions and see the old pictures.

Also, if you have kids, the Birnbaums for kids is a good way for them to read about their favoriate rides and make their list for what they want to see while they are down there.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

I always use the Unofficial Guide. The resort section and dining section were extremely helpful for planning. I'm planning to go buy my 2008 edition this weekend!! :)

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
No question, The Unofficial Guide. Their research is extensive and unparalelled by any of the guidebooks. Birnbaum's book reads like a press release, and doesn't give you any useful information you can't find on the WDW website.

Upvote 0

duck_daddy

I'm gonna break the mold here and go with Birnbaum's. Yes it does tend to play to Disney's strong points, with little or no negativity, but honestly, who wants to read about such when they are planning a Disney vacation. You need to go and see whatever you can see. If you are a seasoned vet, as some of us are) then you don't need a guide anyway. It gives good, accurate information on attractions, dining and lodging. I enjoyed the book, and it made my last vacation(the first of which I was the vacation planner for the family) very easy. Two thumbs up!

Upvote 0

happymom52003

I buy the Unofficial Guide and Passporter every year. I used to buy others, but have found that there really is no need to. These two are the best, IMO. I buy both because they are very different. The Unofficial Guide is like the Disney Bible....it has everything you need to know and then some. I like the Passporter for the park maps and attraction info, and we take the Passporter with us on our trips to WDW because it easy to pack. For me, The Unofficial guide is more like a reference book....kind of hard to read from cover to cover, but great for looking up info. The Passporter is more of an easy read....it is fun to read from cover to cover, and the colored park maps and attraction info are very useful.

Upvote 0

WDWEric

We love the passporter, A place to write ADR's, confirmation #'s, and little pockets for all your info. Unofficial guide is great for info, but I prefer the passorter for planning.

Upvote 0

rimousefan84

Original Poster
Thanks for all the posts!! I just went to B&N and saw the 2008 edition of The Unofficial Guide, man that thing is THICK! I started thumbing through the pages and you all were right, there certainly is a wealth of info in it. Thanks so much and I am looking forward to reading more responses to the Thread.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I'm going to go with the pack on this one and say Unofficial Guide. Don't be overwhelmed by the size - not everything in there will be applicable to you, so you can skip the sections that do not apply. But beyond being a wealth of info, I found it to be a good read! And pay attention to some of the tips in there, some of them are golden!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom