Party Season 2021

TTA94

Should we be expecting a few announcements soon in regards to nighttime entertainment and how they are going to handle it? As well as MNSSHP and MVMCP? Or they going to make this a very last minute thing? Like make a announcement in May and have a debut date for nighttime shows in June?

Touchdown

DL would regularly not announce Halloween Party info until July. With dining reservations now mirroring DL, I suspect MNSSHP dates to be announced in July.

plawren2

Should we be expecting a few announcements soon in regards to nighttime entertainment and how they are going to handle it? As well as MNSSHP and MVMCP? Or they going to make this a very last minute thing? Like make a announcement in May and have a debut date for nighttime shows in June?
I would guess announcements in May/June are likely-by then WDW will have a better awareness of where we stand on COVID-19 restrictions (especially capacity and social distancing).

TTA94

I would guess announcements in May/June are likely-by then WDW will have a better awareness of where we stand on COVID-19 restrictions (especially capacity and social distancing).

I thought we were expecting fireworks around memorial weekend or June? Maybe that time frame got pushed out further. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold back until July 4th has passed.

plawren2

I thought we were expecting fireworks around memorial weekend or June? Maybe that time frame got pushed out further. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold back until July 4th has passed.
At this point I don't think we can expect anything on any certain timeline. There are still months to decide and also critical months in terms of reduction in COVID-19 restrictions for outdoor gatherings. Best guess WDW is preparing options but will wait before making decisions that allow as many crowd events as is possible. It would be reasonable to think July 4th but could be sooner. Just that this point no one really knows. We have planned trip for November and are optimistic about events and activities returned, I would be much less confident about May/June at this stage.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At this point I don't think we can expect anything on any certain timeline.

Indeed. While FL may be allowing anything, Orlando county may not. Also, WDW has an agreement with the unions to not put them in a dangerous situation.

There are things *likely* to happen, and WDW *may* be making preparations to do things at a certain date that they can't do now, but that *may not happen.*

So, WDW *hopes* to do fireworks by a certain date (Memorial Day, e.g.,) according to an insider, but that in no way means they will.

People shouldn't be buying tickets based on such speculation and ever-shifting conditions.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Indeed. While FL may be allowing anything, Orlando county may not. Also, WDW has an agreement with the unions to not put them in a dangerous situation.

There are things *likely* to happen, and WDW *may* be making preparations to do things at a certain date that they can't do now, but that *may not happen.*

So, WDW *hopes* to do fireworks by a certain date (Memorial Day, e.g.,) according to an insider, but that in no way means they will.

People shouldn't be buying tickets based on such speculation and ever-shifting conditions.
What if all the insiders are Chapek and he just really wants them to book vacation?

TRON is opening tomorrow!

havoc315

At this point I don't think we can expect anything on any certain timeline. There are still months to decide and also critical months in terms of reduction in COVID-19 restrictions for outdoor gatherings. Best guess WDW is preparing options but will wait before making decisions that allow as many crowd events as is possible. It would be reasonable to think July 4th but could be sooner. Just that this point no one really knows. We have planned trip for November and are optimistic about events and activities returned, I would be much less confident about May/June at this stage.

For many things, it's not just Covid restrictions, but also a matter of staffing up. Not every trained staff member is sitting by the phone waiting to be recalled to start the next day.
And the college program needs months of lead time.

Thus, many things can't come back until staffing is brought up. And this will be a process that takes weeks to months, depending on the particular item.

And with Disney cost cutting, they don't seem in any rush to staff back up. In theory, if they wanted to have a much higher level of operation by Memorial day, you'd start hearing rumblings now or soon. For example, if they anticipated having Fantasmic back by Memorial day, you'd be hearing about staff starting to get calls now.

plawren2

For many things, it's not just Covid restrictions, but also a matter of staffing up. Not every trained staff member is sitting by the phone waiting to be recalled to start the next day.
And the college program needs months of lead time.

Thus, many things can't come back until staffing is brought up. And this will be a process that takes weeks to months, depending on the particular item.

And with Disney cost cutting, they don't seem in any rush to staff back up. In theory, if they wanted to have a much higher level of operation by Memorial day, you'd start hearing rumblings now or soon. For example, if they anticipated having Fantasmic back by Memorial day, you'd be hearing about staff starting to get calls now.
Agreed, must also a factor of limits to capacity. And sure does not seem to be working to ramp up adding much more back by Memorial Day at this point, then it becomes July 4th or not until 50th anniversary starts in October. I certainly would not book for visit this spring/summer and expect anything near normal operations and activities.

havoc315

Agreed, must also a factor of limits to capacity. And sure does not seem to be working to ramp up adding much more back by Memorial Day at this point, then it becomes July 4th or not until 50th anniversary starts in October. I certainly would not book for visit this spring/summer and expect anything near normal operations and activities.

I'm booked for mid August. I don't expect "normal operations." I am optimistic that there will be a lot more normalcy than there is right now. But it's fingers crossed. I'll be peeved if there isn't any night time entertainment or more dining by August.

Touchdown

I’m booked for May and late October, I expect nothing more for May (other then hopefully Rat opening and perhaps fully loading rides.). However, I fully expect normal operations +/- mask by October.

HauntedMansionFLA

I’m booked for May and late October, I expect nothing more for May (other then hopefully Rat opening and perhaps fully loading rides.). However, I fully expect normal operations +/- mask by October.
Maybe October for Rat but don’t count on it.
Good news is MK was packed today and will be the next couple of weeks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's the current best guess on Rat? We are going in late October as well.
We don't know.

Insiders have been saying March to May (more towards March).

But... there are signs that WDW might not want to open Rat earlier than later due to giant queues that come from distancing.

But... WDW had been saying "Summer."

But... there was previous talk of waiting until fully opening after COVID restrictions are gone.

But... no one knows when that will be. Lot's of guessing based on rate of vaccinations and when we hit herd immunity.

But... herd immunity, while brought about by immunizations, is not a "known known" for this *novel* virus. It could be 60% immunizied, or 70%, or 80%.

And we know that insider knowledge can become undone if Disney changes their minds. Which they do even outside of the uncertainties of a pandemic. Even more so now.

So... best guess is not to guess.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
We don't know.

But... there are signs that WDW might not want to open Rat earlier than later due to giant queues that come from distancing.

But... there was previous talk of waiting until fully opening after COVID restrictions are gone.

But... no one knows when that will be. Lot's of guessing based on rate of vaccinations and when we hit herd immunity.

But... herd immunity, while brought about by immunizations, is not a "known known" for this *novel* virus. It could be 60% immunizied, or 70%, or 80%.

And we know that insider knowledge can become undone if Disney changes their minds. Which they do even outside of the uncertainties of a pandemic. Even more so now.

April 31.

havoc315

We don't know.

All that is true. And while Covid affects the decision, ultimately WDW will do what’s best for WDW...

Which is why I expect sooner rather than later. If it was a Magic Kingdom ride, I’d believe the whole “no hurry”... they don’t want more long lines, etc.

But unlike Magic Kingdom and DHS, Epcot has been sitting half empty most days, even with reduced capacity.

And Epcot revenue is heavily reliant on dining. Even “blue states” are gradually going back to full capacity dining, WDW will surely start increasing dining capacity soon.

All this adds up to: WDW has every incentive to attract more people to Epcot.

So even if circumstances aren’t perfect, I’d expect to see Rat and/or Harmonious and/or EF by late Spring / early Summer.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
All that is true. And while Covid affects the decision, ultimately WDW will do what’s best for WDW...

Which is why I expect sooner rather than later. If it was a Magic Kingdom ride, I’d believe the whole “no hurry”... they don’t want more long lines, etc.

But unlike Magic Kingdom and DHS, Epcot has been sitting half empty most days, even with reduced capacity.

And Epcot revenue is heavily reliant on dining. Even “blue states” are gradually going back to full capacity dining, WDW will surely start increasing dining capacity soon.

All this adds up to: WDW has every incentive to attract more people to Epcot.

So even if circumstances aren’t perfect, I’d expect to see Rat and/or Harmonious and/or EF by late Spring / early Summer.
Quick reminder that Universal is opening a major, highly-visible coaster in June.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom