Parking trams with new doors

Rob562

I don't see much point in having the doors other than to make it look aesthetically pleasing, to be honest. If they aren't automatic and can be freely swung open and closed, why are they attached to begin with?

They make the trams look nice, though. I'll give them that much.

I would presume their primary function is to keep riders' belongings (and possibly riders themselves) inside the tram while taking a sharp turn. I'm sure they lose a stroller or two every day on the U-turns, or the at-speed sharp turn into the TTC underpass.

It won't keep a dedicated person from actually jumping from the tram.

-Rob

I would presume their primary function is to keep riders' belongings (and possibly riders themselves) inside the tram while taking a sharp turn. I'm sure they lose a stroller or two every day on the U-turns, or the at-speed sharp turn into the TTC underpass.

It won't keep a dedicated person from actually jumping from the tram.

-Rob
That seems like a good enough reason to have them installed. Hopefully it'll do that much, and if it doesn't... :lookaroun

liontram.png

sponono88

Good point right here. Its one thing to have them at DL where there are only two dedicated stops and therefore more ability from CMs to monitor and control the doors. But at the MK or any other park where you can have four or five stops to unload (not counting initial loading), these doors just spell logistical nightmare.

This too. Leaving the opening and closing to guests will not only take time but can also result in unsafe use. What if they don't close the door after getting off and the door doesn't close itself? What if a guest thinks its closed but in actuality the door hasn't closed and lock all the way? What if guests don't realize the doors don't stay locked and they accidentally open it when the tram is moving?

Are there any Disneylanders who can provide some insight as to how effective these doors are/aren't?

Those are the same doors that were installed in DL's trams earlier this year. They were added as a safety precaution following an incident where a woman fell asleep and fell from the tram (news article.)

I don't have the specifics as to how it has affected loading/wait times.. but it seems to be pretty efficient based on what i've experienced. Doesn't take much longer than what it normally would, just swing the door open and close :shrug: Although they're are a bit clunky and unnecessary in my opinion, but I understand why they added them.. gotta avoid those lawsuits. And for the person that asked, yes the doors are spring loaded and close on their own.

sign of the times. definitely wouldn't see something like this today :lol:

dlhotel_tram.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting. They`ve been in the works for a while now and it is good to see them in Orlando.

And since I can say it :D my recent experiences with the DL versions was fine. Plenty of time to open them, close them, and most if not all do slowly close themselves. Think of them as an added level of protection along with holding on tight and keeping the kids inside adults. Morons can still open them, just as they can jump from a ride vehicle, but if they stop just one incident of a guest or item falling on a turn then surely they are worth it.

hpyhnt 1000

Those are the same doors that were installed in DL's trams earlier this year. They were added as a safety precation following an incident where a woman fell asleep and fell from the tram (news article.)

I don't have the specifics as to how it has affected loading/wait times.. but it seems to be pretty efficient based on what i've experienced. Doesn't take much longer than what it normally would, just swing the door open and close :shrug: They're a bit clunky and unnecessary in my opinion, but I understand why they added them.. gotta avoid those lawsuits. And for the person that asked, yes the doors are spring loaded and close on their own.

So thats why doors are going in... *sigh* :brick:

But thanks for the insight. It seems that they are in the testing phase for WDW as they're at AK so we'll see what happens and if they decide to install them on all trams.

TP2000

Are there any Disneylanders who can provide some insight as to how effective these doors are/aren't?

Well, technically the term Disneylander is what Anaheim CM's call each other and guests at the park are not Disneylanders, but... :D

The Disneyland trams got these doors early this year. They've been in use for about six months, and they seem to be a non-issue. They are spring loaded so that they slowly close and lock once you let go of them. The handle is fairly intuitive, and even without the CM's spieling in English on how to work them I've seen Asian tour groups figure it out just by being an intelligent human and they pull on the handle and jump right in.

Disneyland Parking Lot Tram With Doors - 2010
disneyland004.jpg

The doors are a non-issue really. And at least they are much safer and better looking than this... :lol:

Disneyland Parking Lot Tram Without Much Of Anything - 1958
dlhotel_tram.jpg

Horizonsfan

Interesting. They`ve been in the works for a while now and it is good to see them in Orlando.

And since I can say it :D my recent experiences with the DL versions was fine. Plenty of time to open them, close them, and most if not all do slowly close themselves. Think of them as an added level of protection along with holding on tight and keeping the kids inside adults. Morons can still open them, just as they can jump from a ride vehicle, but if they stop just one incident of a guest or item falling on a turn then surely they are worth it.

Good to know. I take back what I said earlier.:eek:

Now if they only didn't look so blatantly like a later addition...

Not sure this is a good idea or not. It will make it harder to get a stroller loaded on the tram. Disney just trying to make us safer, but most likely open it's self up to new problems.

tecowdw

I'm surprised it has taken this long to get doors on them. There's just too many adults that don't follow the safety warnings and keep their kids on the inside only. Or too many kids that don't behave while on the trams.

I figured once they started getting automatic gates at attraction loads, these would be a no brainer.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I used the Disneyland trams with the doors back in June and again in August, and I didn't notice any slow-down in loading and unloading of guests. The doors open manually, but close unless they are held open. So, there won't be the problem of guests accidentally leaving the doors open...they swing shut by themselves. They are easy to use (note the little arrows telling you how to use them) and the double door sections for the strollers haven't seemed to cause a problem in California. I'm all for it...and I'm all for the compressed natural gas engines the DL trams use now. With all the starting and stopping the trams do, they would also make a great location for gas electic hybrids...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Interesting, for a few minutes i had imagined the doors being closed one by one by the CM's just like the Mark IV monorails....the sound of the doors shutting one by one is still fresh in my mind!

Oh well, I think this is just another thing to save stupid people from themselves, can't wait until there's lap bars on IASW and Jungle Cruise :brick:

hpyhnt 1000

Well, technically the term Disneylander is what Anaheim CM's call each other and guests at the park are not Disneylanders, but... :D

The Disneyland trams got these doors early this year. They've been in use for about six months, and they seem to be a non-issue. They are spring loaded so that they slowly close and lock once you let go of them. The handle is fairly intuitive, and even without the CM's spieling in English on how to work them I've seen Asian tour groups figure it out just by being an intelligent human and they pull on the handle and jump right in.

Oh... sorry. I'll keep that in mind for the future. :lol:

And its good to hear the doors seem to be more or less a non-issue. Guess in the long run its better to have them than to not.

elisatonks

Saw the tram the other day when i picked up the hubby from work, i was actually pretty impressed but am interested in seeing how it is going to affect the operation of the trams as it will affect me directly. FYI if the roll out plan is still the same as it was when I was training Hollywood Studios will be next followed by Magic Kingdom (we the cast have been told to expect just before the holidays) and then EPCOT.

dotKirk

Animal Kingdom tram CM stated today that the plan is to finish the rollout by the end of November across all four parks. Of course, this is the same CM who, literally the next sentence, stated that after the rollout at WDW, the doors would be installed in California, so take it with a grain of salt - but that seems to hold true with what others have been saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom