Parking trams with new doors

FutureWorld1982

Original Poster
I saw this new kind of tram in the parking yesterday (sorry for the dimension of these pictures, but I don't know why they aren't resizing automatically):

2yy1tz6.jpg

2ywu6ps.jpg

2hnal4o.jpg

Is WDW going to install doors on all their trams like they've already done in DL?

_Scar

They look very nice and make the tram look nicer too.

I doubt it will slow down dramatically to a point where you're losing vast amounts of time or to the point where they would need another tram.

CDavid

Do these doors open automatically/remotely or are they opened and closed by the boarding guests? If manually operated, I assume they at least lock while the tram is in motion?

So long as they are lockable, this should also stop those persons who somehow think that "No more boarding" means its ok for them to run past everyone else waiting in line to board the ready to move tram.

muteki

Do these doors open automatically/remotely or are they opened and closed by the boarding guests? If manually operated, I assume they at least lock while the tram is in motion?

So long as they are lockable, this should also stop those persons who somehow think that "No more boarding" means its ok for them to run past everyone else waiting in line to board the ready to move tram.

Hopefully they are automatic (at least to close) for that very reason. I would hate to think that the tram would have to wait on each row to close their own door or require a CM to walk the train after loading to do so manually.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In the photos the doors have lever handles on the outside. I'd guess that means they are manually operated or at least can be.

GLaDOS

I doubt it will slow down dramatically to a point where you're losing vast amounts of time or to the point where they would need another tram.

And they also said there's not way unload gates would make TSMM's waits worse, but look where we are now.

Thrill Seeker

They look very nice and make the tram look nicer too.

You'd be surprised. The stupid air gates have drastically slowed down TSMM's loading...

scpergj

Is it just me, or do these pictures look like they were taken at Animal Kingdom? I see the busses in the background, and the entire area looks like the AK tram unload are to me...

Oddysey

Is it just me, or do these pictures look like they were taken at Animal Kingdom? I see the busses in the background, and the entire area looks like the AK tram unload are to me...

Yes...it looks as if it is the AK tram load/unload area.

FutureWorld1982

Original Poster
Yeah, they were taken in AK, and just to clarify:

-The Doors are NOT automatic, they are manually operated, and to say the truth, they're pretty simple to open and close;
-Once the tram leaves, you can still open them (I tried to see if they were locked, but there's no way they can lock them);
-It's the first one I've ever seen here at WDW... all the other trams are still doors-free, so maybe in the future all of them will be enclosed.

hpyhnt 1000

-The Doors are NOT automatic, they are manually operated, and to say the truth, they're pretty simple to open and close;
-Once the tram leaves, you can still open them (I tried to see if they were locked, but there's no way they can lock them);
-It's the first one I've ever seen here at WDW... all the other trams are still doors-free, so maybe in the future all of them will be enclosed.

So, from what you are saying, its basically up to guests to open and close the doors, and then once they are closed, there's nothing to keep you from just opening them again?

Rob562

Are they at least spring-loaded so they fall closed on their own?
Otherwise on those multi-stop outbound runs you'll have large delays as people get off the tram and leave their door wide open.

-Rob

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So, from what you are saying, its basically up to guests to open and close the doors, and then once they are closed, there's nothing to keep you from just opening them again?
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen... Longer load/unload and more idiots that can't figure out how it works delaying things... Glad I park in Handicap... It'll never be an issue for me.

fireworkz

The tram CM's must love these doors. :rolleyes: This will really slow down Tram operations - well at least until people get used to them. How many times will Tram CMs have to announce "pull your doors closed, they are not automatic" or "keep your doors closed" before he/she can give the clear signal? I also worry about this reducing Tram capacity. My last few trips I had a stroller in tow. I found it great to sit on the outside with the stroller standing on the foot step. I noticed many others do this as well. Now I guess the strollers will always have to fill a space in the row a person would normally occupy. The age of lawsuits are pacifying everything.

hpyhnt 1000

Are they at least spring-loaded so they fall closed on their own?
Otherwise on those multi-stop outbound runs you'll have large delays as people get off the tram and leave their door wide open.

-Rob

Good point right here. Its one thing to have them at DL where there are only two dedicated stops and therefore more ability from CMs to monitor and control the doors. But at the MK or any other park where you can have four or five stops to unload (not counting initial loading), these doors just spell logistical nightmare.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen... Longer load/unload and more idiots that can't figure out how it works delaying things... Glad I park in Handicap... It'll never be an issue for me.

This too. Leaving the opening and closing to guests will not only take time but can also result in unsafe use. What if they don't close the door after getting off and the door doesn't close itself? What if a guest thinks its closed but in actuality the door hasn't closed and lock all the way? What if guests don't realize the doors don't stay locked and they accidentally open it when the tram is moving?

Are there any Disneylanders who can provide some insight as to how effective these doors are/aren't?

I don't see much point in having the doors other than to make it look aesthetically pleasing, to be honest. If they aren't automatic and can be freely swung open and closed, why are they attached to begin with?

They make the trams look nice, though. I'll give them that much.

Rob562

Actually, these aren't there to keep Guests and their belongings inside the tram at all.

They're really there in case the brakes fail on the tram: "OK, everyone open your doors NOW!" (Hey, if it worked for Knight Rider...) :lol:

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom