Parking going up to $14

bebert

Bigger picture

I think this just fits in with the overall Disney marketing plan. They are going to reward/incentivize those who buy the annual pass, stay onsite, dining plan,etc. While some may disagree but, it is a very smart business decision. The vision of Walt wanting all children to experience this is gone, it is just a business now. I am very fortunate that some of the increases wont affect my ability to go to WDW in the future but we there are alternatives to paying the higher prices. We always take a cooler with us now with drinks, snacks and a light lunch for the kids. We also try to eat breakfast in our rooms. We also drive to WDW from Ohio and usually stay on site so parking is free. This allows us to go to local groceries and offsite restaurants. Again, if you dont want to pay the higher prices you have to get creative. My only recent disappointment with WDW is the overall quality and experience. For example, the 50's Prime Time was a favorite spot but, now there is very little interaction with the staff and the food is not great. :wave:

wdwwdeagle

4+3 -- Weekend trips are not long enough, make sure the guests stay a week.
Free Dining -- They are picking up the food bill. We can stay longer. We can buy much more now.
MYW tickets -- After 3 days, the cost is insignificant for more days. We'll stay at least a week instead of a weekend.
AP room discounts -- I'll take 5-7 long weekneds a year along with 2-3 week long trips.
Mugs -- $50 for a family of four to drink sodas.
Bonus buys at stores for spending $$$ amount -- These watches, bags, blankets cost NOTHING. Guests will force themselves to spend the required amount to get the bargin which is almost all profit.
DDP -- Booz = Big Bucks. Not included in DDP though.
TIW -- Must use it for about 10 meals to pay it off.

These are all tools for Disney to turn a family of four from a $200 investment for one day trip per year (Single day tix were less than $50 10 years ago) to a $5000 customer that stays 7 days.

Great post, JimboJones.

I must say, I resemble these remarks. However, somehow it only took us 3 meals to come within $6 of paying off the TIW card (smile!).

Until a few years ago, we used to go to WDW just for the day when we were visiting relatives. This year, we are in for APs, on site stays, TIW, several weekend trips, and a week in the spring. Wow!

The plan is for this to be the year of Disney for us, and then to move on to other destinations, going back to the one WDW trip every couple years. However, if we find that the places we want to go are significantly higher that WDW, as you did with the Hawaii cruise, who knows? We might be back next year, too. But that Ken Burns series is really making me want to visit the national parks....

I guess time will tell whether the 'high cost' of Disney drives us away or the 'bargain' vacation lures us back in. IMHO, it's really all relative to each individual and what they value/what they see as 'worth it.'

captainkidd

Try being a season ticket holder for the New England Patriots. $50 per game for parking. Roughly $500 per season (if they don't make the playoffs.)

captainkidd

I'll get my head torn off, but I have no problems with this. Disney should benefit their on-site guests with more perks, and one of them, is free parking.

hwdelien

Imagine the good PR that would be generated if the next time they raised the ticket prices, they include an extra $1 and earmark it for parking. Don't announce it as a parking surcharge or anything just make it park of the annual price increase. Then announce free parking. They'll make more money for parking than the "per car" method because resort guests, people taking shuttles from other hotels, or those guests that park at downtown disney and take busses over will be paying for parking just be buying their ticket and AP holders don't pay parking. Everyone'll be talking about the free parking and they'll forget that the ticket prices went up.

trr1

Imagine the good PR that would be generated if the next time they raised the ticket prices, they include an extra $1 and earmark it for parking. Don't announce it as a parking surcharge or anything just make it park of the annual price increase. Then announce free parking. They'll make more money for parking than the "per car" method because resort guests, people taking shuttles from other hotels, or those guests that park at downtown disney and take busses over will be paying for parking just be buying their ticket and AP holders don't pay parking. Everyone'll be talking about the free parking and they'll forget that the ticket prices went up.

if they did that WDW would loose alot of money

That's 117,260 based on daily averages in 2005

29360 x 9 per car= 263,835
the 29360 is based on 117260 divided by 4 people per car
so they would loose 146,575 per day
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060712152348AADVjHC
http://www.passporter.com/wdw/specialneeds/updatechart2005.htm

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
the parking increase comes on top of the ticket price increase, which comes on top of an increase in food and drink, which comes on top of an increase in fuel which comes on top of an increase in air fair which comes on top of an increase in insurance which comes on top of an increase in merchandise. Add in the decline in quality of food, merchandise and for the largets group of oversessa visitors 20% decline in exchange rate you get a bit more than an extra $15.

Now at the same time we have a global economic situation which has seen the average persons disposable income reduce or stay stationary. Im no expert but at a time when most businesses are having to deal with credit issues for investment where exactly is a cash rich buisness like Disney getting the pressure to raise income, its not by offering me better value for money, it doesnt seem to be paying its staff more.

I have no problem with any buisness making money, but surely as a paying customer I have the right to qusetion the value of the service my money is getting.

And yet, according to what we read on here, the parks and resorts are enjoying good attendance. I don't get it. :shrug:

For the record, I am not going on my usual fall WDW trip this year due to my own budget issues, and I think I can prove that it's an addiction, because I am certainly suffering withdrawal pains and have been tempted more than once to say "the hell with it" and put it on a credit card. :hammer:

I do believe that they will continue with all of these "small" increases, or "nickel and diming" if you prefer, until they see attendance fall hard because people either cannot afford to go or do not see value in the pricing.

Someone wrote a couple pages ago that nothing would be accomplished by venting on this board, that letters need to be written in order to have any impact. If we feel that strongly about it, that is what we must do.

CBOMB

WDW has not priced me out of trips to WDW, and I doubt that they could. However, they have disgusted me out of my annual trips. The constant nickel, and diming had me thinking more about that, than enjoying my vacation.

jakeman

That's a really good point CBOMB.

Let's say that reducing the cost is not an option. Would the nickle and diming that you see bother you as much if it was wrapped up in one large increase?

Say instead of the following (made up numbers) per day increasing at a piecemeal rate (the number after the slash would be the increase):

Parking: $15/20
Tickets: $50/60
Room: $100/150
Food: $25/30

Total: $190/260 per day

Would you rather just have a flat increase once a year?

I'm just curious as to your response.

KevinPage

It's amusing to read the Disney apologists defend the parking increase. Sure Disney can do anything they want, it's your option if you want to pay for it or not. But it's has doubled in cost within 5 years.

As a local this is one of the many reasons why I've been soured on the whole WDW experience and have not gone in over 1 year and don't have any desire to return.

I moved here in 2002 (after flying in to get married at the GF in 2001) and went 20-30X per year. Last year was the 1st time I didn't bother to renew my Annual Pass (original Full, then Seasonal). It just got to the point where the quality of the experience kept going down while prices kept increasing.

(not to mention there did not seem to be any "slow" season anymore, so it became annoying waiting in lines no matter what time of year you went)

Disney is Disney and there will still be plenty of people who will pay whatever they demand. But this along with many of their other cost cutting & revenue generating initiatives has the serious potential to bite them in the rear. None of what they have done are for the benefit of the customer.

EPCOT Explorer

I've never stated anything regarding how much I make or how I spend my money.

I'm sorry to hear that. I really am. However, it doesn't change the fact that there is nothing that you need at Disney. If they have priced you out of the market (or me for that matter) then that sucks, but that is life.

That is a tired pigeonholing arguement that carries no weight.
Didn't say you did...It's other people and the condescending attitude of "if it's a tight budget, I insinuate that you are of a poor economic standing, and you shouldn't even bother trying to save for Disney". It's rude, it's running rampant in this thread, on these boards, and honestly, it's ignorant. Something that really pushes my buttons. I'm a student. I don't make a annual income. does that take away from my right to save for a small trip every now and then? Heck no! And I can voice my opinion on the choices Disney is making to prevent that. IMHO, they are driving this (my) part of the demographic away, or just killing off more guest spending. I know for the past few trips, that the cost of parking has deferred me picking up some Merch.:shrug: And if it gets any worse, well....Disney looses out more, and so do I.

I think it's valid...you are defending Disney.:lookaroun:lol:
Sorry you don't like that attitude... but a certain amount of $$ is required to get into the parks.
See above. Disney is loosing out.

CBOMB

That's a really good point CBOMB.

Let's say that reducing the cost is not an option. Would the nickle and diming that you see bother you as much if it was wrapped up in one large increase?

Say instead of the following (made up numbers) per day increasing at a piecemeal rate (the number after the slash would be the increase):

Parking: $15/20
Tickets: $50/60
Room: $100/150
Food: $25/30

Total: $190/260 per day

Would you rather just have a flat increase once a year?

I'm just curious as to your response.
It's not about a mere price increase Jake. It's become about the constant price increases year after year. I just no longer feel that I am getting the quality experience I was before. I know there are many that feel differently, but that's just how I feel

I'll give you a silly little example of the nickle, and diming that set me off on my vacation in January. I went to the merchantile at WL to pick up a six pack of beer. Just like I've been doing for a decade. When we are done at the Parks I love going back to the room, sitting out on the balcony looking at Bay Lake, and having a couple of beers.

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find even one six pack. There was nothing but single beers. The price for a single beer was $5.25, also a large increase. I asked the cashier about it, and she told me that food, and beverages had complained about lost sales at the restaurants, and bars. So this was their solution.

Before I had paid the inflated price of about $14 per six pack. No problem, heck it's WDW we all expect the Mouse to gouge us a little. Now I'm looking at the same thing costing me $31.50. The Mouse missed out on my money that trip. Food, and beverages have reached the point to where I just don't feel the quality is worth the price. I could always buy off property, but I felt offended that I had been forced into doing that after all these years. I use to really look forward to the meals at WDW. This last trip I had one meal that I felt was quality. Tutto Italia was an excellent meal. However that was $63 for 2 pasta dishes, and 2 beers, no apetizers, and no desserts. WDW has taken to boosting their menu several times a year now.

Ticket prices go up. Room rates go up. Parking goes up. Minature golf prices go up. Food prices go up. Beverage prices go up. Things that were once free now have a price put on them. I have just had enough. I will always love WDW. I will always post on WDW forums. I'm just not sure if I will ever return to WDW. I have reached my limit. I e-mailed about 8 Disney executives with my thoughts on my last trip. I also took a WDW survey where I went into detail about why they had lost my business.

So you see Jake I thought long, and hard about WDW, and the little insignificant price increases they have once or twice or three times a year. I finally decided to speak with my wallet. I know it's of no significance to Disney, but it is to me.

KevinPage

So you see Jake I thought long, and hard about WDW, and the little insignificant price increases they have once or twice or three times a year. I finally decided to speak with my wallet. I know it's of no significance to Disney, but it is to me.

This goes in line with all their other cost cutting measures in attractions, entertainment & park hours. Disney thinks by slowly reducing expectations, people become accustomed to LESS over time without noticing a big change all at once.

But eventually people wake up and realize the vacation they had 5 years ago offered much more in return than what they are getting today.

You can slash and burn fat only so many times til you start getting to bone and people start noticing the pain they are in :D

space42

This goes in line with all their other cost cutting measures in attractions, entertainment & park hours. Disney thinks by slowly reducing expectations, people become accustomed to LESS over time without noticing a big change all at once.

But eventually people wake up and realize the vacation they had 5 years ago offered much more in return than what they are getting today.

You can slash and burn fat only so many times til you start getting to bone and people start noticing the pain they are in :D

You know Kevin - that is a great point that I was just thinking about the other day while watching some of Martin's GREAT WDW tribute videos.

He has one called - Future World 1990 - check it out here http://vimeo.com/4027306

Watch the beginning and listen to the park hours spiel.

I am not sure what time of year that was , but when was the last time park hours were anything close to this for all parks at the same time? No early entry - no hard ticketed events - etc.

Magic Kingdom 9a - 12a
Epcot Center 9a - 11p
Mgm 8am - 12am

The parks are much busier than I remember them in 1990 (for the most part). There really isn't even an off season any more.. not like it was from the 70's through the early 90's anyway. Considering how much more it costs for everything , it really is something that we've all been trained to expect so much less from Disney.

trr1

You know Kevin - that is a great point that I was just thinking about the other day while watching some of Martin's GREAT WDW tribute videos.

He has one called - Future World 1990 - check it out here http://vimeo.com/4027306

Watch the beginning and listen to the park hours spiel.

I am not sure what time of year that was , but when was the last time park hours were anything close to this for all parks at the same time? No early entry - no hard ticketed events - etc.

Magic Kingdom 9a - 12a
Epcot Center 9a - 11p
Mgm 8am - 12am

The parks are much busier than I remember them in 1990 (for the most part). There really isn't even an off season any more.. not like it was from the 70's through the early 90's anyway. Considering how much more it costs for everything , it really is something that we've all been trained to expect so much less from Disney.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/calendars/?asmbly_startDate=20091005&asmbly_endDate=20091015
todays hours
epcot 11:00 AM - 9:00 PMWorld Showcase 9:00 AM - 7:00 PMFuture World
MK
9:00 AM - 9:00 PM

DHS
9:00 AM - 7:00 PM EMH till 10
AK
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM EMH 8-9 am

jakeman

Didn't say you did...It's other people and the condescending attitude of "if it's a tight budget, I insinuate that you are of a poor economic standing, and you shouldn't even bother trying to save for Disney". It's rude, it's running rampant in this thread, on these boards, and honestly, it's ignorant. Something that really pushes my buttons. I'm a student. I don't make a annual income. does that take away from my right to save for a small trip every now and then? Heck no! And I can voice my opinion on the choices Disney is making to prevent that. IMHO, they are driving this (my) part of the demographic away, or just killing off more guest spending. I know for the past few trips, that the cost of parking has deferred me picking up some Merch.:shrug: And if it gets any worse, well....Disney looses out more, and so do I.

I think it's valid...you are defending Disney.:lookaroun:lol:
I can't help the way you choose to interpret my post. I never stated any of the items you enumerated above.

I never said you shouldn't not save to go to Disney because you are poor or on a budget, just that if you can't afford it, you shouldn't go. There is a big difference there. If you can pay your way without putting yourself in debt, then you can afford to go. If you can't and you go anyways, you are living outside your means.

However, I will stand by my statement that Disney produces no product that you or I need, therefore has every right to charge what the market will bear, to their own detriment if they choose. If that prices either of us out of being able to go, then that is unfortunate, but a fact of life...

It's not about a mere price increase Jake. It's become about the constant price increases year after year. I just no longer feel that I am getting the quality experience I was before. I know there are many that feel differently, but that's just how I feel....

Thank you for sharing. I understand your point and I can appreciate the way you handled it (not that you need my approval).

I hope you didn't think I was patronizing you with my example.

I think you and, if ever gets to the point for me, I are the people Disney does not want to lose (no offense to Evan). It's not a matter of not affording it, it's making the other choice. That is more damaging to the brand then simply being priced out.

EPCOT Explorer

I can't help the way you choose to interpret my post. I never stated any of the items you enumerated above.

I never said you shouldn't not save to go to Disney because you are poor or on a budget, just that if you can't afford it, you shouldn't go. There is a big difference there. If you can pay your way without putting yourself in debt, then you can afford to go. If you can't and you go anyways, you are living outside your means.

However, I will stand by my statement that Disney produces no product that you or I need, therefore has every right to charge what the market will bear, to their own detriment if they choose. If that prices either of us out of being able to go, then that is unfortunate, but a fact of life...

Thank you for sharing. I understand your point and I can appreciate the way you handled it (not that you need my approval).

I hope you didn't think I was patronizing you with my example.

I think you and, if ever gets to the point for me, I are the people Disney does not want to lose (no offense to Evan). It's not a matter of not affording it, it's making the other choice. That is more damaging to the brand then simply being priced out.

I never said that YOU were doing these things, Jake, though you are being frustrating on this issue!:zipit::lol:;) It's everyone else sitting on the high horse insinuating that WDW should be a "playpen for the rich and famous".

You/Disney/People/General group of people needs to get off that aforesaid high horse on issues like this. You can't charge this much for a simple thing like parking. It's absurd. They are doing nothing for your car, save for the fact that it's left on their property. It's, like I said driving certain demographics farther and farther away ESPECIALLY in a recession/depression.

And yeah, I agree with you on the need/want basis. I don't need to go to Disney. (What!?:lookaroun) and it IS to their own determent. If they were to lower prices back to how they were in the 90's. (Or at least adjusted to the rate of inflation...) I know for a fact that my family would be there more often, and for more than just a day. That's how it used to be.

At least for us, and at least when Disney charged the correct price for their product.

Their product is still worth it, but only once a year at the price they charge.

I think I'm done here...:lol: This is too much to discuss....EPCOT Center anyone?

jakeman

You can't charge this much for a simple thing like parking. It's absurd.
Yes you can. Plenty of places charge much more for a shorter period of time.

I understand that you are frustrated, but I don't see this as a have/have not arguement.

If the Disney company decides that WDW should be a "playpen for the rich and famous" then that is their right. Not much I can do about it except voice my concern to the company and take my business elsewhere.

EPCOT Explorer

1.Yes you can. Plenty of places charge much more for a shorter period of time.

2.I understand that you are frustrated, but I don't see this as a have/have not arguement.

3.If the Disney company decides that WDW should be a "playpen for the rich and famous" then that is their right. Not much I can do about it except voice my concern to the company and take my business elsewhere.

1. In YOUR opinion and in your "business sense". Not in mine. It's like Airlines and baggage. Every other airline charge through the nose. Southwest? Nope. Luggage flies free. Point Southwest. They don't look petty. They don't look greedy. They look SMART. I want WDW to loom smart.
  2. I never said it was. :shrug:
  3. Concern voiced, business has been EXTENSIVELY decreased. :wave: MY Opinion concurrent with these actions...And hopefully Disney sees this. They are loosing spending as it is...they would be wise to stop this, no?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom