News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Jedi Stitch

I love how attendance is down and at least to many people posting here, its because it rained last year.

Sure hurricanes happen, but look at the history, the odds of getting a hurricane at Disney World is very, very low. Even last year. The park was affected by storms something like 4 days max. out of 183 days in the hurricane season, that's only 2% of the time, or 1% of the year. Then figure the park has only closed a handful of times in almost 50 years.... you have a very, very tiny chance of being their ever during a hurricane.

Which is why I will be there first week of November, and while I will certainly look at the forecast, I won't worry about hurricanes.
You have a valid point, but just because the hurricane doesn't hit the park straight on, the Weather is still affected. Most people still fly, so the plane schedules also get affected by the hurricane. Flight A is canceled coming in and that flight was to be the plane for flight B so it is either canceled or severely delayed. If anyone went connecting flights well now your travel plans took a nose dive.
The Rain helps thin the crowds out, but it also closes attractions, events, and most people don't go to Florida to be in the rain most of the time.

Princess Leia

1B1A66CF-93B3-430C-B2DB-800C9CBB13F1.jpeg

No idea what’s happening at Epcot right now, but Flight of Passage is lower than NRJ (and only a 65 minute wait!!!)

eddie104

I'm pretty sure its going to pick up during the Halloween and especially Christmas seasons considering I saw something on the news a couple years ago that showed that Disney World was so packed that literally there was no walking room.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty sure its going to pick up during the Halloween and especially Christmas seasons considering I saw something on the news a couple years ago that showed that Disney World was so packed that literally there was no walking room.
Those peak periods are always solid. Barring something very unexpected, that will always be the case. But those peak days or even weeks do not define a quarter's worth of attendance and spending figures.

ToTBellHop

Those peak periods are always solid. Barring something very unexpected, that will always be the case. But those peak days or even weeks do not define a quarter's worth of attendance and spending figures.
Yes, and October will be busier than September, of course. What some fail to see is that a 10% reduction in attendance would still be deemed “crowded” while Disney would note a significant drop in spending. Saturdays in October can be nutty in MK and Epcot while attendance for the year is down. Entertainment cuts and staffing cuts will make the parks feel more crowded, too. The latter has been artificially raising wait times for months now.

Cookizza

105 is pretty high for soaring right now, hmm, wonder if they are only operating two screens?

I think so; we were there with a FastPass during the 105 minute wait and they were directing all FP folks to Concourse A and standby to Concourse B.

Test Track had a 75 minute wait for a good while, and Frozen was 60 minutes when we breezed through with a miracle last-minute FP in the late afternoon. TouringPlans said 4/10 crowds today, but it felt a lot busier, though Food & Wine lines were short.

As my inner "get off my damn lawn" miser semi-sarcastically grumbled to the hubs: "Shouldn't all these crumbsnatchers be in school? Dang!" :bored:

MickeyCB

We are going the week before Christmas (17-21), first time to ever stay that close to Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with crowds during that time? We are going that week because I could not find a full 5 day availability for anywhere in the first 2 weeks of December, and even now are a split stay, AKL and Baylake. (We are DVC members using points).

ToTBellHop

We are going the week before Christmas (17-21), first time to ever stay that close to Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with crowds during that time? We are going that week because I could not find a full 5 day availability for anywhere in the first 2 weeks of December, and even now are a split stay, AKL and Baylake. (We are DVC members using points).
Quiet through about the 19th or 20th. You’ll avoid the balls-to-the-wall craziness. Most kids are still in school through the Friday before Christmas.

madkjd@aol.com

It’s funny how people judge Disney for cutting labor or using whatever tactic they see fit to adjust for the unexpected slump in attendance. People aren’t not coming to Disney because they sent Timmy the CP home early to cut some labor rather than keep him and pay him to stand outside and play hula hoop. If people aren’t showing up it’s due to a bigger issue. Maybe competition, staleness of products and offerings, weather, waiting for upcoming projects like SW:GE, etc. Disney or any company has to react to these situations quickly to minimize losses. If I see that they are doing something that is effecting my vacation experience with them then that is bad, but if cost cutting is happening and I don’t see it or am not effected by it then do what ya gotta do Disney.
Used to go at least 2x a month (live 150 mi from WDW) now if I go every 2 months it's a lot. AND, the decline in quality, no more "plussing" for the guests, which Walt Disney himself vowed to do at his park, homogenization of "signature" restaurants and the outrageous crowds on weekends when we working people can attend are out of control. IF we do one ride in a park when we're there, it's about it. Not worth the lengthy wait. Lack of proper management for a lot of the areas is disgusting as well. Almost always see clusters of CM's standing in pods (particularly custodial) and management walking by not saying a word to them; also not picking up garbage they pass by with their "picking" tools is unacceptable. Often see overflowing garbage cans even when it isn't Food & Wine mayhem. The Disney magic is slowly disappearing and I do think it will catch up to them. We've had AP's for as long as they have offered them; however, this year may be the year we opt out of renewing. There's also the lack of upkeep. Never used to see chipped paint and other items but Iger is so intent on increasing his bottom line, he ignores the details. He makes a fortune but barely pays WDW employees a living wage. It is sad and I am sure Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom