News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D.Silentu

Rumors suggested Pixar Pier was a project Chapek gave because in his belief WDI took too long and spent too much. The challenge was for them to with quick turn around do this project on time and with a small budget. Chapek was right in thinking WDI was not up to the task.

I appreciate the insight, though I confess I was aware of that rumor. My awareness fueled my shock that the "small budget" is apparantly in excess of one hundred million dollars, twice the previously thought amount. I think we all agree that nobody is getting their money's worth.

Last edited:

Franklin47disneyguy

Gotcha. I am amazed at that number. In fact I can only hope the Pier update can be used to restructure/reorganize WDI to get people who are more competent with budgets and timelines.

As earlier someone mentioned Everest cost 100 million. Which was a major project with all new buildings, theming, areas to the park, in addition to a brand new themed roller coaster. The fact that this project involving repainting things, relocating a spinner ride, and adding paint costs more than Everest is insane.

DCA good have used that 100 mil bucks for one good e-ticket experience, rather than paint jobs and baby's on sticks???

NateD1226

Yeah the could have thrown in like 2 fantasyland style pixar dark rides. Imagine a inside out ride on the pier, instead we get a stupid spinner.
That would be so cool. The spinner is just a way for Disney to use old stuff so they don't have to spend more money. I think they could have added a dark ride (if they had a bigger budget and more space) behind Incredicoaster.

TROR

It's amazing how Pixar gets such bad treatment in the parks as most their films are very good quality. Toy Story is great and character oriented and has two rides in the Resort and they are both shooting galleries.

Nemo got a big budget ride with a retread of the first movie's story.
That's the problem. Theme parks are about experiences, not characters. It's the same reason each Marvel ride has been awful. They're centering them around the characters instead of the worlds. The world of Toy Story and the world of the Avengers is bland so you're left with bland theme park experiences. Now, the world of Guardians of the Galaxy is a ton of fun, but they still decided to focus on the characters which makes a bland attraction.

lazyboy97o

Gotcha. I am amazed at that number. In fact I can only hope the Pier update can be used to restructure/reorganize WDI to get people who are more competent with budgets and timelines.
Who would spearhead such a massive undertaking? The Bob with no prior experience in themed entertainment, fixed amusement operations, or design and construction? Or the other Bob with no prior experience in themed entertainment, fixed amusements, or design and construction? The third Bob may have some ideas but his scheme for Shanghai Disneyland didn’t quite pan out.

nevol

I was mistaken earlier in this thread when I scoffed at Pixar Pier's $60M budget. It was actually $130M, and the current crew at WDI legitimately think that this is being done as inexpensively as they can manage.

For comparison, Expedition: Everest cost $100M in 2006, which is about $124M today with inflation. That project included multiple "research" expeditions to Nepal; a new connector path between Asia and Dinoland, with restrooms, food & merchandide locations, and pedestrian bridge; a lavishly detailed queue; construction of the mountain, ride system, and top-of-the-line AA; and countless hour-long TV specials ("with the thrust of a 747!").

For slightly more money in 2018, we got a project that included "research" trips to nearby California piers; a partially-completed paint job of existing infrastructure; #socialmedia photo ops; a relocated flat ride; minor queue improvements and babies on sticks; a redecorated restaurant; and a redressed retail location. And all this for a "quick" redo that will take around 18 months to complete. On the bright side, Pixar Pier won't be plagued with Everest's inoperable-yeti issues; none of the new character figures have any motion.

WDI's current "rule of thumb" expectation is that an E-ticket will cost around half a billion to build (which is right around what the Tron and GOTG coasters in WDW are costing). I used to feel bad that WDI wasn't given the proper budgets to work with, but their recent project show that they have more than enough. They just have no idea how to spend it responsibly.
wow. It looked like it cost a few million. They could have built almost two tower of terrors with that money. Remember when people discussed that guardians cost almost as much as Tower did, and asked whether we would have preferred they just built a new ride somewhere else? I didn't buy that at the time, but it has to be true. I also recall jim hill reporting that Monsters inc overlay of superstar limo cost 70 mill or so. This was E ticket money in the early 2000s. What on earth.. DCA is going to end up being the most expensive park in the entire chain with the least to show for it.

mickEblu

That's the problem. Theme parks are about experiences, not characters. It's the same reason each Marvel ride has been awful. They're centering them around the characters instead of the worlds. The world of Toy Story and the world of the Avengers is bland so you're left with bland theme park experiences. Now, the world of Guardians of the Galaxy is a ton of fun, but they still decided to focus on the characters which makes a bland attraction.

I dunno. I think they picked some high quality 4K tv screens though. They re almost so clear you forget you re watching TV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom