News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

reginamills412

I was mistaken earlier in this thread when I scoffed at Pixar Pier's $60M budget. It was actually $130M, and the current crew at WDI legitimately think that this is being done as inexpensively as they can manage.

For comparison, Expedition: Everest cost $100M in 2006, which is about $124M today with inflation. That project included multiple "research" expeditions to Nepal; a new connector path between Asia and Dinoland, with restrooms, food & merchandide locations, and pedestrian bridge; a lavishly detailed queue; construction of the mountain, ride system, and top-of-the-line AA; and countless hour-long TV specials ("with the thrust of a 747!").

For slightly more money in 2018, we got a project that included "research" trips to nearby California piers; a partially-completed paint job of existing infrastructure; #socialmedia photo ops; a relocated flat ride; minor queue improvements and babies on sticks; a redecorated restaurant; and a redressed retail location. And all this for a "quick" redo that will take around 18 months to complete. On the bright side, Pixar Pier won't be plagued with Everest's inoperable-yeti issues; none of the new character figures have any motion.

WDI's current "rule of thumb" expectation is that an E-ticket will cost around half a billion to build (which is right around what the Tron and GOTG coasters in WDW are costing). I used to feel bad that WDI wasn't given the proper budgets to work with, but their recent project show that they have more than enough. They just have no idea how to spend it responsibly.
Hello I was wondering where you heard the budget was $130 million?

Franklin47disneyguy

Expedition Everest was touted as the most expensive roller coaster in the world at the time of construction. Twelve years later and they are building inferior coasters that cost four times as much.

there capital spending is ridiculous, or some accountant trick of pumping money around the company.

Rich T

It's funny how the Golden Zephyr and Jumping Jellyfish are the only Pier area items that hasn't been touched. Someone at Disney must be protecting them.
I actually like Golden Zephyr as it's fun, rare, and has historic significance. Jellyfish, though... possibly the worst ride ever installed in any Disney park...I guess it's such a small footprint that they just don't have a replacement in mind, yet. Frankly, I'd even prefer an off-the-shelf Tilt-a-Whirl with the cars shaped like shells called "Sebastian's Spew Party" (It would be 100% more fun than Ariel's Non-Adventure).

Phroobar

I actually like Golden Zephyr as it's fun, rare, and has historic significance. Jellyfish, though... possibly the worst ride ever installed in any Disney park...I guess it's such a small footprint that they just don't have a replacement in mind, yet. Frankly, I'd even prefer an off-the-shelf Tilt-a-Whirl with the cars shaped like shells called "Sebastian's Spew Party" (It would be 100% more fun than Ariel's Non-Adventure).
It would be nice if Jellyfish were upgraded to at least Disney Sea version of it. It couldn't cost that much to add a little more themeing to it.

tds43.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ismael Flores

It's funny how the Golden Zephyr and Jumping Jellyfish are the only Pier area items that hasn't been touched. Someone at Disney must be protecting them.

I really hope the Zephyr doesn't go anywhere. That is about the only carny ride that fit the area well. If they do want to move it I'm fine with it being relocated. It would look great on a tall pedestal on the actual Pier but complete removal should be a no no.

The jumping jellyfish can be trashed, now that is a waste of space.

I still think that whole area being used by the jumping jelly fish, the sand pit and the beer stand should be leveled and a new fun eatery placed there. It could have a real seaside ocean theme with a roof seating area. something like Hungry Bear with a seaside theme and some great beer. Add a nice wooden bridge over the water (marked in orange) connecting the seating area to the lower level of the silly symphony platform and you have more seating area available that is now being wasted

Then they can tear down the restrooms near Goofy and relocate them inside the Paradise Garden Grill. The remaining land and goofy sky skool area then can be used for an expansion pad of a nice darkride.

That area of the park has potential but they seem to be focusing on re-doing areas that can be tackled later.
The whole area around the big bay really needs to be evaluated and see where new indoor attractions can be added to add capacity at night when WOC shut downs most of the area
new-eatery.jpg
new-darkride.jpg

Ismael Flores

It would be nice if Jellyfish were upgraded to at least Disney Sea version of it. It couldn't cost that much to add a little more themeing to it.

tds43.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe they should even think about relocating it, doesn't take much footprint and keeps the ride for the little ones, The perfect little spot would be nestled between the mermaid ride and seaside souvenir.
Why not integrate facade and shell of the existing shop and turn it into partial queue and shop. Add some nice rockwork and props and turn it into a mermaid themed ride to compliment the Mermaid ride next to it. They can even add a small hidden scene using the roof of the building.
jumping-jellyfish.jpg

Stevek

I really hope the Zephyr doesn't go anywhere. That is about the only carny ride that fit the area well. If they do want to move it I'm fine with it being relocated. It would look great on a tall pedestal on the actual Pier but complete removal should be a no no.

The jumping jellyfish can be trashed, now that is a waste of space.

I still think that whole area being used by the jumping jelly fish, the sand pit and the beer stand should be leveled and a new fun eatery placed there. It could have a real seaside ocean theme with a roof seating area. something like Hungry Bear with a seaside theme and some great beer. Add a nice wooden bridge over the water (marked in orange) connecting the seating area to the lower level of the silly symphony platform and you have more seating area available that is now being wasted

Then they can tear down the restrooms near Goofy and relocate them inside the Paradise Garden Grill. The remaining land and goofy sky skool area then can be used for an expansion pad of a nice darkride.

That area of the park has potential but they seem to be focusing on re-doing areas that can be tackled later.
The whole area around the big bay really needs to be evaluated and see where new indoor attractions can be added to add capacity at night when WOC shut downs most of the area
View attachment 295267View attachment 295268
I would leave the restrooms and tear out from Goofy all the way over to the gate between Mermaid and the gift shop. You can relocate Corn Dog Castle...just put it as a window in Garden Grill. I would agree with getting rid of Jellyfish but it is kind of a good one for the kids.

TROR

I would leave the restrooms and tear out from Goofy all the way over to the gate between Mermaid and the gift shop. You can relocate Corn Dog Castle...just put it as a window in Garden Grill. I would agree with getting rid of Jellyfish but it is kind of a good one for the kids.
Height requirement of 40" so even then it's not all inclusive. I've always thought taking the basic ride system and making it Pinocchio would be a good idea but I can't exactly visualize it.

Ismael Flores

I agree Corn dog Cstle should have been moved a long time ago. That whole section between Goofy and Mermaid seems like such a bad use of real estate

Rich T

I'd tear out Mermaid, too. No one will miss it if something better replaces it. And Jellyfish isn't even a good kid's ride. It's too intimidating-looking for many small fry to ride alone, and too boring for adults who accompany them. There are far, far better kid's rides out there that don't overwhelm the landscape.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom