News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

truecoat

For me, personally, the reason "Mrs Incredible goes off and fights crime while Bob stays home with the kids" is such a terrible plot isn't because of a forced political agenda that may or not be there, it's just a terribly boring plot. I want to see the family fight crime together, not a highlight of Elastigirl. Let's be honest here, Pixar sequels that shift the focus from the main character to a side character (Cars 2, Monsters University, and Finding Dory) have been significantly lower in quality than the original.

Does anyone know if that is really the plot? It's not a trailer, just a sneak peek.

mickEblu

I guess that's my point - the complaining about the direction Disney is going here may be overstated. In other words, the issue isn't so severe as to cause enough fans to call it quits. In fact, it's the opposite: more people are going to Disneyland than ever, so the good is far outweighing the bad, at least in the eyes of its core customers.

I would buy this if attendance and guest spending began to trend down, however, if the responses are indeed guiding the company's actions then they should probably continue the strategy because people are responding positively by coming back again and again.

Corporations and brands are not dumb. They heard the crickets and boos knowing with confidence that DCA will be packed this summer because their customers can't break their addiction.

Ya I think the key word is “yet”... nobody is calling it quits yet. If all they did for the next 30 years was to add Pixar Pier and MB level overlays then maybe people do slowly start to call it quits. What I meant was these surveys only speak of today and say nothing about the direction or the future.

Anyway I think Star Wars Galaxies Edge (placement and IP debate aside) proves that they will continue to create quality additions eventhough they may be far and few between compared to the Pixar Piers of the world.

Lastly, I’m not sure how much stock we can put in the numbers as APs are more marketed and accessible today then they have ever been. The increase in revenue is more because how APs have been marketed in recent years and less because of the product. I mean if you look at DL (which everyone says is the far superior park) It has gone without any major additions since Indy in 95. So it’s not as if the product has gotten so much better in the last 23 years. Now of course, if you consider that they ve added DCA, DTD, etc then they have added a lot but I still think it mostly comes down to how aggressively they have marketed APs in recent years. I mean we all loved DL before but we were ok visiting once a year.

westie

Question- How many times have you guys been to the parks and seen a mom smiling behind her sunglasses whilst a 60 hour a week working dad is losing his "stuff" because this is one of the first times he's had to corral kids? It's one of the Mrs. and myself favorite things to partake in. Rolls reversed, the man does become...unhinged. I think it's a great plot idea.

TROR

Question- How many times have you guys been to the parks and seen a mom smiling behind her sunglasses whilst a 60 hour a week working dad is losing his "stuff" because this is one of the first times he's had to corral kids? It's one of the Mrs. and myself favorite things to partake in. Rolls reversed, the man does become...unhinged. I think it's a great plot idea.
I agree on this. It's not natural for a man to be the stay at home parent. Simply isn't. As far as a plot goes, it can allow for a lot of humor. This isn't an instance of disrespectful children who run the house and their father is a drunk fool. Problem for me is really that it's not what I want from The Incredibles 2.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I don't see this....

Curious Constance

I have A LOT of opinions on the current political agendas and how it effects society. I agree and disagree with a lot of what is being said.

I'm a working mom of the two best kids in the world (it's been scientifically measured in an independent, double blind study, sorry every other kid in the world). I have no hate in my heart, and realize that not everyone on this planet is the same.

That being said, the politically correct, political agenda in this country/world is real, and getting more and more prevalent as time goes on. Schools are flat out getting ridiculous. Work places, movies, everywhere. Once you see it, you'll never be able to unsee it. Things that people just take for granted as "facts" nowadays are ridiculous.

However, that being said, I will no longer be participating in this discussion because this isn't the time or place and frankly not why I come to this forum, as I'm sure a lot of others feel the same.

D

Deleted member 107043

Ya I think the key word is “yet”... nobody is calling it quits yet. If all they did for the next 30 years was to add Pixar Pier and MB level overlays then maybe people do slowly start to call it quits.

30 years? That's a mighty long time for people's tastes to begin to "slowly" change. You just underscored my point that most people complaining about this stuff here aren't bothered enough by it to find another passion, and never will be.

nevol

I commented and I think wdwmagic deleted it, so, I'll keep the more problematic points out. Television (some cable but mostly hbo and netflix original series) and indie films are way better than blockbusters when it comes to this stuff. Call Me By Your Name, which could have been the most polarizing films of the year simply wasn't because it was so good that you just became those characters. It wasn't an action film that tried to hit on every agenda and focus group, inserting vegetarian Chewies everywhere they saw fit. Focusing on one character or group of characters experiences is earnest, when shoving diversity into blockbuster films that are already poorly written is distracting.

mickEblu

30 years? That's a mighty long time for people's tastes to begin to "slowly" change. You just underscored my point that most people complaining about this stuff here aren't bothered enough by it to find another passion, and never will be.

I meant slowly People will start dropping off over the next few decades if they continued with just one weak overlay after another instead of what they re capable of doing. Not that we re going to wake up in 30 years and finally see the drop off.

I didn’t underscore your point. I made my own. You can see it that way if you’d like though. You seem to be very intent on constantly making the point that Disney fans, particularly AP’s, are addicted (No one is denying that BTW) as the end all/ be all of every discussion even when the conversation isn’t focused on that. We were initially talking about if Disney’s surveys are effective or not. Surely enough, the conversation took a predictable course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I meant slowly People will start dropping off over the next few decades if they continued with just one weak overlay after another instead of what they re capable of doing. Not that we re going to wake up in 30 years and finally see the drop off.

OK, got it.

I didn’t underscore your point. I made my own. You can see it that way if you’d like though.

My comments were never meant to be a personal attack. Sorry for coming across that way.

You seem to be very intent on constantly making the point that Disney fans, particularly AP’s, are addicted as the end all/ be all of every argument even when the discussion isn’t focused on that. (No one is denying that BTW). We were initially taking about if Disney’s surveys are effective or not. Surely enough, the conversation took a predictable course.

Yep, I am making that point and I'll continue to make it because it's relevant to any conversation about IP in the parks (and this thread in particular) and how that strategy has become the exclusive driving force behind business decisions at P&R. Disney wouldn't be hammering on IP if their theme park customers weren't buying it, therefore those customers, especially those who are regular repeat visitors, bear some responsibility for the ongoing success of the strategy. The failure of DCA to draw sizable crowds initially is a good example of how fans can and will collectively reject Disney when they disapprove of what's being offered.

I agree on this. It's not natural for a man to be the stay at home parent. Simply isn't. As far as a plot goes, it can allow for a lot of humor. This isn't an instance of disrespectful children who run the house and their father is a drunk fool. Problem for me is really that it's not what I want from The Incredibles 2.

I could not disagree with this more. There are no rules on this. There should be no rules on this. There is no "natural". Loving and caring for a child has no qualifiers.

TROR

I could not disagree with this more. There are no rules on this. There should be no rules on this. There is no "natural". Loving and caring for a child has no qualifiers.
You can disagree but it's a biological fact that mothers give birth, produce milk for the babies, and are naturally more nurturing than men.

This is my second comment on the same page in this thread about breastmilk. What's happening?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You can disagree but it's a biological fact that mothers give birth, produce milk for the babies, and are naturally more nurturing than men.

This is my second comment on the same page in this thread about breastmilk. What's happening?

@monsterdavid disagreement I believe was to your statement that its not natural for a man to be a stay-at-home parent. Men these days are just as likely to stay at home as a woman.

Whether you believe that women should stay are home or not is irrelevant.

mickEblu

OK, got it.

My comments were never meant to be a personal attack. Sorry for coming across that way.

Yep, I am making that point and I'll continue to make it because it's relevant to any conversation about IP in the parks (and this thread in particular) and how that strategy has become the exclusive driving force behind business decisions at P&R. Disney wouldn't be hammering on IP if their theme park customers weren't buying it, therefore those customers, especially those who are regular repeat visitors, bear some responsibility for the ongoing success of the strategy. The failure of DCA to draw sizable crowds initially is a good example of how fans can and will collectively reject Disney when they disapprove of what's being offered.

I did note take it as a personal attack. Did I come off too feisty? Lol.

I think AP behavior is relevant but you don’t seem to talk much about the fact that Disney created this monster. Personally I don’t think I would even have an AP, if they didn’t strategically price tickets/ APs In a way to persuade you to upgrade. This is an extreme example but if this was the 90s and So Cal residents could get into Disneyland for $22 I wouldn’t have made that initial jump to the So Cal AP. Present day, when you pay $300 for one day for two adults , it makes a lot of sense to upgrade to the lower tier APs.

Again, this conversation started by me making a comment about Disney’s ineffective surveys and you still haven’t commented on why or why not you feel they are effective. So if I’m connecting the dots, you re saying that because APs / Disney fans are addicted Disney will continue to add IP or whatever else they want to do because the revenue keeps growing every year. Still not sure how that makes their surveys effective or what it has to do with them at all. Maybe you mean they don’t need to have effective surveys because it doesn’t matter? Regardless, I wasn’t making any comment on IP, I was making my comment on quality additions vs non quality additions. Back to my original point, just because APs / guests continue to go today after poor/ cheap overlays doesn’t mean Disney should assume they are doing the right thing and that guests will continue to do so long term. That would be pretty foolish. I think we can all agree that their has to be a tipping point. I think it’s stil far off. But if they think that they can continue getting away with Pixar piers that’s fools gold. It will catch up to them. I don’t think they re that stupid though.

@monsterdavid disagreement I believe was to your statement that its not natural for a man to be a stay-at-home parent. Men these days are just as likely to stay at home as a woman.

Whether you believe that women should stay are home or not is irrelevant.

this, yes. thank you. I think it's stinking thinking to believe that women are more natural at this or that. You can tell me anything you want about, but at the end, we men can overcome any of that and be fantastic, nurturing, loving, people. Its bull...it's lazy...to think we should leave that to the women. No different empowering women to own their careers and their relationships, and to stop believing the misogyny that is fed them. I know this is soapboxy, we're an disney forum about Pixar Pier...it's a waste of breath really, but those are my thoughts. We can do anything women can do. And vice versa.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I did note take it as a personal attack. Did I come off too feisty? Lol.

I think AP behavior is relevant but you don’t seem to talk much about the fact that Disney created this monster. Personally I don’t think I would even have an AP, if they didn’t strategically price tickets/ APs In a way to persuade you to upgrade. This is an extreme example but if this was the 90s and So Cal residents could get into Disneyland for $22 I wouldn’t have made that initial jump to the So Cal AP. Present day, when you pay $300 for one day for two adults , it makes a lot of sense to upgrade to the lower tier APs.

Again, this conversation started by me making a comment about Disney’s ineffective surveys and you still haven’t commented on why or why not you feel they are effective. So if I’m connecting the dots, you re saying that because APs / Disney fans are addicted Disney will continue to add IP or whatever else they want to do because the revenue keeps growing every year. Still not sure how that makes their surveys effective or what it has to do with them at all. Maybe you mean they don’t need to have effective surveys because it doesn’t matter? Regardless, I wasn’t making any comment on IP, I was making my comment on quality additions vs non quality additions. Back to my original point, just because APs / guests continue to go today after poor/ cheap overlays doesn’t mean Disney should assume they are doing the right thing and that guests will continue to do so long term. That would be pretty foolish. I think we can all agree that their has to be a tipping point. I think it’s stil far off. But if they think that they can continue getting away with Pixar piers that’s fools gold. It will catch up to them. I don’t think they re that stupid though.

I have a question, do we know for a fact that In-Park Surveys are being "rigged"? Or are "we" just reading what "we" believe into the situation, similar to what Disney is being accused of with the surveys. Could it not be that its pointing to a cultural shift toward wanting familiar characters in attractions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom