News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Practical Pig

My parents never allowed me to go anywhere where they didn't know the people, and I had to check in and let them know where I was and where I was going :angelic:

However the first car I remember us having didn't have seat belts and I was leaning against the passenger door one day and the door popped open while we were driving on the highway. I remember starting to fall out and seeing the tires spinning around and around. Luckily my dad grabbed me and pulled me back in. I still get scared thinking about it!!! I was probably about 5 or so.

Yikes indeed! How close you came to achieving your spectral avatar!

Practical Pig

But speaking of cars, and since we’re 78 pages into a thread about a superficial cosmetic change to the pier, [seque]the first car I remember riding in also had no seat belts.[/seque] It was a Ford Anglia 105E (1959-1968), a British Ford model that for reasons that are a complete a mystery to me, my father somehow owned in the far Northern regions of California. I think it was the original 1959 model, and I wish I had it now.

Ford Anglia 105E.jpg

[[Disney connection ... Disney connection ... Got it!]]

These would have looked cute on the Autopia.

Practical Pig

Wiki says something like child restraint seats were first developed in 1962, but not adopted by the industry then. The first child seats that showed up in cars weren't safety restraints, but rather just booster seats so the adults in the front seat could see them better. The better to watch them sail through a windshield, I guess. They probably said more, but I'm not too invested in car seats at this point in my life.

Anyway, the shiny new 1966 Chevy Impala station wagon that replaced the Anglia gave us kids seat belts to ignore, and lots more room to bounce wherever we wanted.
Chevy Impala 1966.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

Wiki says something like child restraint seats were first developed in 1962, but not adopted by the industry then. The first child seats that showed up in cars weren't safety restraints, but rather just booster seats so the adults in the front seat could see them better. The better to watch them sail through a windshield, I guess. They probably said more, but I'm not too invested in car seats at this point in my life.

Anyway, the shiny new 1966 Chevy Impala station wagon that replaced the Anglia gave us kids seat belts to ignore, and lots more room to bounce wherever we wanted.
View attachment 233947

I would have been very jealous of you riding around in that car when I was kid. I grew up in Berkeley during the 70s, and (surprise!) we had a white Volkswagen Beetle. And yes, my entire family wore bell bottoms.

During that time my best friend's stepdad owned a black custom van with lightning bolts painted on the side. I LOVED that thing. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It had "bubble" windows in back and wall to wall s-h-a-g carpet inside lol. I'm not sure of the make and model, but picture something sort of like this:

a5aef862d2ac98953f82f9ef2034763f--ford-van-dodge-van.jpg

Practical Pig

I would have been very jealous of you riding around in that car when I was kid. I grew up in Berkeley during the 70s, and (surprise!) we had a white Volkswagen Beetle. And yes, my entire family wore bell bottoms.

During that time my best friend's stepdad owned a black custom van with lightning bolts painted on the side. I LOVED that thing. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It had "bubble" windows in back and wall to wall s-h-a-g carpet inside lol. I'm not sure of the make and model, but picture something sort of like this:

Oh yeah, I remember those. And up in these parts, I still see an occasional beat-up old relic that used to look like that.

I won't post to this forum the name we used to have for those kind of vans, but the carpet type is a simile. ;)

Phroobar

Didn't Annie Potts character in Corvette Summer have one of those?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

tenor.gif

This thread has severely derailed into childhood nostalgia...

But yeah, when I was young my parents let me roam freely.
My swingset in the backyard became the neighborhood hang out (we had no fences between houses in Florida)
And the lake in our development was another central hotspot.
So long as we were back "near" the house by the time the streetlights came on, we were good.

I also relate to @mickEblu in solo Disney tripping...My dad worked at MGM Studios and as long as I was back to him by a certain time, I could wander to my hearts content.

mickEblu

I still don't understand how we have no details about this flippin project.

Sadly, I fear that is because there isn't much to know or to get folks excited about. Some new facades, a new spinner and an Incredibles overlay to screamin no one wants. Hopefully they do something with Screamins queue and the carrousel.

For something underwhelming, they re better off not over marketing it. The survey results will be better that way.

This is probably wishful thinking but based off the weak presentation at D23 and all of the bigger things going on at DLR (SWL, eastern gateway/ parking lot issues) I wouldn't be surprised if this project gets cancelled or at least delayed. There is no pressing urgency to get this project done. (I don't think an Incredibles coaster opening in sync with the movie counts).

Hatbox Ghostbuster

My educated guess tells me that they're still trying to figure things out themselves.

Aside from the aforementioned Incredible Screamin' overlay + spinner, lick of paint here, lick of paint there, change the name of this, add such and such character here...there really isn't much else to say.

I expect once CS closes down in December, they'll release more info (and concept art)...right now they're probably WAY more concerned with making sure Halloween is a success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom