News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

I was at DCA a few days ago and was walking around Paradise Pier at dusk. I Honestly don't think it deserves the bad reputation it has. Aside from the Screamin queue, the carrousel, and Goofys stained walls, I don't think it has any issues at all. I guess from an aesthetic standpoint, GSS could go and I'm indifferent towards JJ. Maybe it was the "golden hour" lighting or the slight breeze but overall it has a great vibe.

I rode the Golden Zephyr with my son a couple times (underrated by the way and the line is a hell of a lot shorter than Dumbo) and it just struck me that overall the ambiance of the land is very pleasant. There has to be a reason people photograph it so much, maybe even more than the castle. And then there is Paradise Gardens which is one of the more charming areas to grab a bite at the whole resort.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was at DCA a few days ago and was walking around Paradise Pier at dusk. I Honestly don't think it deserves the bad reputation it has. Aside from the Screamin queue, the carrousel, and Goofys stained walls, I don't think it has any issues at all. I guess from an aesthetic standpoint, GSS could go and I'm indifferent towards JJ. Maybe it was the "golden hour" lighting or the slight breeze but overall it has a great vibe.

I rode the Golden Zephyr with my son a couple times (underrated by the way and the line is a hell of a lot shorter than Dumbo) and it just struck me that overall the ambiance of the land is very pleasant. There has to be a reason people photograph it so much, maybe even more than the castle. And then there is Paradise Gardens which is one of the more charming areas to grab a bite at the whole resort.

I've been saying this for years. Even before the DCA 2.0 rehab, back when people derided PP as "the carnival in the parking lot", I found it to be one of the most pleasant and atmospheric corners of DLR. Maybe for some traditionalists it was difficult to accept that anything remotely resembling a classic amusement park, much less a land posing as one, had landed in a Disney park in Anaheim. Also it was impossible to ignore that PP sorely lacked any of the detailed theming WDI is famous for. Now that some time has passed, and the inevitable tweaks and adjustments have been made, affection for PP seems to have grown.

mickEblu

I've been saying this for years. Even before the DCA 2.0 rehab, back when people derided PP as "the carnival in the parking lot", I found it to be one of the most pleasant and atmospheric corners of DLR. Maybe for some traditionalists it was difficult to accept that anything remotely resembling a classic amusement park, much less a land posing as one, had landed in a Disney park in Anaheim. Also it was impossible to ignore that PP sorely lacked any of the detailed theming WDI is famous for. Now that some time has passed, and the inevitable tweaks and adjustments have been made, affection for PP seems to have grown.

Agreed. I can't speak for PP 1.0 but what it doesn't have in traditional theming it makes up for in atmosphere/ ambiance. Cars Land has great theming but I'd be lying if I said Paradise Pier doesn't make me happier. It has certain elements that a cartoon car world just can't match.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Agreed. I can't speak for PP 1.0 but what it doesn't have in traditional theming it makes up for in atmosphere/ ambiance. Cars Land has great theming but I'd be lying if I said Paradise Pier doesn't make me happier. It has certain elements that a cartoon car world just can't match.
I find myself usually being quite bored in Carsland. RSR is fine, but certainly not all it's cracked up to be. The other two rides I doubt I'll ever bother going on again.

mickEblu

I find myself usually being quite bored in Carsland. RSR is fine, but certainly not all it's cracked up to be. The other two rides I doubt I'll ever bother going on again.

Yeah I pretty much walk up the Main "highway" subconsciously appreciate the theming and use my FP for RSR once every 6 trips or so. Or I walk under the arch from Pacific Wharf and appreciate that amazing Cadillac mountain range on my way to ride RSR or wherever else I'm going. Speaking of RSR, unpopular opinion here but I feel it is a tad overrated. The ride experience I'm referring to. I always get off feeling a bit underwhelmed. The sum (fun/ ride experience) is less than all of its parts (build up walking through Cars Land, impeccable theming/ scope/ scale).

Kiwiduck

Yeah I pretty much walk up the Main "highway" subconsciously appreciate the theming and use my FP for RSR once every 6 trips or so. Or I walk under the arch from Pacific Wharf and appreciate that amazing Cadillac mountain range on my way to ride RSR or wherever else I'm going. Speaking of RSR, unpopular opinion here but I feel it is a tad overrated. The ride experience I'm referring to. I always get off feeling a bit underwhelmed. The sum (fun/ ride experience) is less than all of its parts (build up walking through Cars Land, impeccable theming/ scope/ scale).
I am the opposite to you. Just being in Cars Land makes me happy and when I imagine myself being at DLR it is often not Disneyland itself that comes to mind but sitting outside Flos watching the cars race by on RSR. Paradise Pier leaves me cold and I couldn't care less what happens to it (although it does look pretty from a distance).

Practical Pig

Yep. I agree with all that. Plus the pier is so replete with a range of kinetic energy, from the gentle spin of the Fun Wheel punctuated by the swinging gondolas to the energetic zip of California Screamin’ and the different rhythms of the spinners. It’s brings a vitality to the area. The parks are full of motion of course, but I enjoy the mix at PP. And no matter what anyone thinks of fountain shows, it’s pretty impressive what they’ve put together with World of Color using the pier infrastructure.

The golden hour lighting makes everything look and feel better. I always find that's when my nostalgia emitters are most active. The pier can be a little glaring under the harsh light of a sunny mid-afternoon in summer.

Last edited:

Practical Pig

I am the opposite to you. Just being in Cars Land makes me happy and when I imagine myself being at DLR it is often not Disneyland itself that comes to mind but sitting outside Flos watching the cars race by on RSR. Paradise Pier leaves me cold and I couldn't care less what happens to it (although it does look pretty from a distance).

Sitting outside of Flo's watching the cars race by on RSR is one of the finest interludes available at DLR.

mickEblu

Yep. I agree with all that. Plus the pier is so replete with a range of kinetic energy, from the gentle spin of the Fun Wheel punctuated by the swinging gondolas to the energetic zip of California Screamin’ and the different rhythms of the spinners. It’s brings a vitality to the area. The parks are full of motion of course, but I enjoy the mix at PP. And no matter what anyone thinks of fountain shows, it’s pretty impressive what they’ve put together with World of Color using the pier infrastructure.

The golden hour lighting makes everything look and feel better. I always find that's when my nostalgia emitters are most active. The pier can be a little glaring under the harsh light of a sunny mid-afternoon in summer.

Yeah that's a good point. Kinetics have a lot to do with it. A big body of water, glimmering in the sunlight with a breeze bouncing off of it doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

It’s to bad that have gotten lazy about putting sitting benches out in the WOC viewing area.
I know that it was a hassle removing them nightly but that whole area is great to relax and have a snack.

It’s a shame also that they don’t use the fountain water feature on hot days as much as they should.

Seems kind of dumb especially since the concept art for Pixar Pier shows another fountain for kids to play in the water
How many of those does the park really need and why build them if they don’t use them

EPCOTCenterLover

I've gone to DCA and skipped the Pier entirely at times. I love the coaster but the land is still lacking IMHO. Cars Land, in contrast, I can easily spend much time in.

Practical Pig

The view from Flo's is pretty amazing. Aside from the views though, I think Carsland falls short in the fun factor.

I like RSR, though in spite of the impressive scale of it all, an element falls short. The dark ride portion doesn't leave much of an impression on me. It's nice enough. It's competent [[shrug]]. The race portion is fun motion-wise. It's the sort of fun I can get driving on some rural stretches of certain western highways without the risk of citations or injury, all condensed into a brief flurry of fun. And that theming!

Mater's is a nicely-themed way to experience some g-forces you could also get at any carnival. I'm glad I did Luigi's once, but I won't need to wait in that line again.

Curious Constance

I like RSR, though in spite of the impressive scale of it all, an element falls short. The dark ride portion doesn't leave much of an impression on me. It's nice enough. It's competent [[shrug]]. The race portion is fun motion-wise. It's the sort of fun I can get driving on some rural stretches of certain western highways without the risk of citations or injury, all condensed into a brief flurry of fun. And that theming!

Mater's is a nicely-themed way to experience some g-forces you could also get at any carnival. I'm glad I did Luigi's once, but I won't need to wait in that line again.

I think the part of RSR that falls flat for me is I just don't care about the Cars movies or characters. Taking me through their world does nothing for me. I like the outside portions of the ride because it is an impressive and beautiful vista, and the race part is fun. Personally though, I would have much preferred almost anything else to Carsland.

Practical Pig

I think the part of RSR that falls flat for me is I just don't care about the Cars movies or characters. Taking me through their world does nothing for me. I like the outside portions of the ride because it is an impressive and beautiful vista, and the race part is fun. Personally though, I would have much preferred almost anything else to Carsland.

Yeah. I feel the same thing. I don't object to it, and I greatly appreciate the land on design merits, and the raising of the theming bar, but the Cars world doesn't resonate with me either. We're not young kids newly fascinated by that adult world of cars, with all the power and freedom they bring, which to us is ... uh, pedestrian, I guess. Ironically enough.

Curious Constance

As far as kids and Carsland go, obviously there are lots of kids who love the Cars IP, but for those that don't (like my two kids) impressive vistas are kind of lost on them and they're essentially like, why go to Carsland since we don't like the Cars movies? That's the IP problem. Too much of your expectation of how you'll enjoy the land is based on your feelings on the characters and movies long before you even experience it. You're expecting to be bored, because the movies bored you, even before you see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom