News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

lazyboy97o

This is the problem with a land based on a seaside amusement pier. Your options for ‘theme’ are either a) doing absolutely nothing, and having a barebones swingset, or b) having your ‘theme’ be Six Flags-esque decor with characters slapped on.
Seaside piers, trolley parks and pleasure gardens were places of eclectic architecture, simple to grandiose amusements and technological marvels; a sort of wild indulgent variant of the optimism of Main Street, USA. Rides being rides doesn’t mean that have to be unsightly, and it would make sense the carry the eclectic sensibilities of a land into an attraction.

FerretAfros

This is where I feel Disney was "picking their battles" so to speak. There is a lot of money going in to SW:GE, Marvel, Mickey's Runaway Railway, and HOPEFULLY some future upgrades to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. Yeah, updating the Pier was cheap in comparison to building a whole new land, but fans need to pick their battles too.
Was it though? The Pixar Pier redo reportedly cost somewhere in the ballpark of $240 million

When Expedition: Everest opened in 2006, it cost $100 million, which was a mindboggling amount at the time. That price included the coaster, mountain, (ill-fated) yeti AA, research trips to Nepal, extensive queue, expansion of the park and new bridge between Asia and Dinoland, and various support facilities. In 2019 dollars, that's about $125 million.

So what did Pixar Pier bring us for nearly double that price? A couple new signs, some fiberglass props, and a paint job that would have been needed regardless of a new color scheme. That's not a lot to show for a price tag that's nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

For all of DCA's problems in the early years, at least they knew how to stretch a limited budget well. The park was far from perfect, but it sure had a lot in it, considering the skimpy $600 million budget. Modern WDI's spending is out of control, and the products they're creating simply don't justify the cost.
The Mickey ‘theme’ of the swings has always struck me as odd, although I’ll admit I like it better than the orange.
In addition to the odd "theme," the name has always been a misfit. Why name it after the Silly Symphonies when it's decorated in honor of a Mickey short? Other than being contemporary products, the two series were entirely unrelated (and neither are related to a seaside pier).

TROR

Was it though? The Pixar Pier redo reportedly cost somewhere in the ballpark of $240 million

When Expedition: Everest opened in 2006, it cost $100 million, which was a mindboggling amount at the time. That price included the coaster, mountain, (ill-fated) yeti AA, research trips to Nepal, extensive queue, expansion of the park and new bridge between Asia and Dinoland, and various support facilities. In 2019 dollars, that's about $125 million.

So what did Pixar Pier bring us for nearly double that price? A couple new signs, some fiberglass props, and a paint job that would have been needed regardless of a new color scheme. That's not a lot to show for a price tag that's nearly a quarter of a billion dollars.

For all of DCA's problems in the early years, at least they knew how to stretch a limited budget well. The park was far from perfect, but it sure had a lot in it, considering the skimpy $600 million budget. Modern WDI's spending is out of control, and the products they're creating simply don't justify the cost.

In addition to the odd "theme," the name has always been a misfit. Why name it after the Silly Symphonies when it's decorated in honor of a Mickey short? Other than being contemporary products, the two series were entirely unrelated (and neither are related to a seaside pier).
Should an argument be made that the ridiculous costs of Disney's latest endeavors are resulting in equally as ridiculous ticket price hikes?

Phroobar

You forgot about the fleet of Teslas that every "imagineer" on the project got as a way of saying thanks.

At my work, your lucky to get an eCard.

shortstop

Seaside piers, trolley parks and pleasure gardens were places of eclectic architecture, simple to grandiose amusements and technological marvels; a sort of wild indulgent variant of the optimism of Main Street, USA. Rides being rides doesn’t mean that have to be unsightly, and it would make sense the carry the eclectic sensibilities of a land into an attraction.
I see your point, absolutely. Maybe the execution was just too far off from the get-go, because I don’t think the bones are there to create a compelling theme park environment as it is.

Rich T

Regarding kids, they tend to enjoy just about anything. I loved That’s So Raven as a kid, but wouldn’t bother to watch it now as an adult because my tastes have changed and it no longer interests me.
When I was a "tween" and young teen, most movies being released were garbage like Frogs, Airport 75 and Towering Inferno. And we'd go see them 3 times. :D

DanielBB8

[QUOTE="iHeartDisneylandCats, post: 8618964, member: ]

Or perhaps the intellectual products Disney has created over the years go over your head.
[/QUOTE] like what? Please use your intellect to explain what I apparently missed.

Ismael Flores

The Mickey ‘theme’ of the swings has always struck me as odd, although I’ll admit I like it better than the orange.

This is the problem with a land based on a seaside amusement pier. Your options for ‘theme’ are either a) doing absolutely nothing, and having a barebones swingset, or b) having your ‘theme’ be Six Flags-esque decor with characters slapped on.

The swings are charming - for a swing ride. But the real question is, should they even be there at all? Should they have even built a land based on a seaside pier in the first place? I say no.

They could have gone with more elaborate theming if they were serious from the beginning when the park was built. The Pier theme is really not the issue and could have been more than it is. Old seaside piers had rides built within mountains and castles and other ornate structures. They had unusual themes and wacky concepts that could have easily been added and even been integrated with one of the many Disney properties they have. A combination of themed rides as well as the less themed spinners would have made for a very interesting area.

Their first concept art had the right idea which included spinners and attractions that were multi level creating an interesting sensory overload with plenty of kinetic energy.

what they should have done during these two recent updates to the pier was to consolidate the spinner rides that they already had. for example, it would have been so easy to relocate the coaster queue into a tall themed circular rotunda and place it within the eastern helix. This rotunda could have had a fully themed interior and the queue would have been a ramp that circled within the inside of the building leading up. At certain point the ramp turned into an enclosed bridge thru the fake lattice and connecting to the existing upper portion of the queue right before the stairs leading to platform. The loading area also enclosed and themed continued.

The existing queue and fastpess area demolished and instead used for a green area that contained a tall platform. On top of this platform would be a relocated zephyr that would sore over the walking paths below. not only would it add kinetic movement to the area but would have also been a visual distraction that would block the unsightly views of the convention center.

The western helix which has a more open space along with the area now used for Bill bong candy shop could then have been used for an actual indoor attraction even a walk thru like the much needed fun house for the area.

The overly large bay could have been reduced by extending the boardwalk. There are huge sections of water left and right of the Pal o Round (marked in red below) where they can extend the boardwalk.
This area could have been the perfect place to create a themed vending area. not everything needs to have huge walkways, this area could have had an intimate feeling and have been the perfect support area for creating a proper themed queue for the fun wheel.

with that done then the area once used by the zephyr and jumping jellyfish could be reclaimed and used for a two story seaside themed restaurant that had seating on the roof level overlooking the bay and nighttime show. remove the useless goofy skyscool and the gazebo area next to it and add another indoor attraction.

In my opinion its really the bad execution of the area from day one when the park was designed. The Pier themed could have been an impressive visual delight filled with plenty of things that would have entertained guests. At this point what they need to do is make a decision of how much of the timon lot will be used for expansion and maybe remove the large backstage buildings behind the pier. Use this area to add one or two show buildings and then punch thru the midway games to add an additional indoor attraction to expand the things to do that don't include spinners

Nextinline

If Paradise Pier had the opportunity to be fleshed out as a Victorian Era amusement park it could have been one of the best lands at DLR. All they had to do was commit to the rides and attractions that made those old parks so unique. There are so many attractions that (mostly for safety reasons) are gone forever that Disney could have brought back with improved technology or with some re-imagining. Combined with historically accurate architecture, music, and live entertainment, this land would have been place setting and inspirational. Remember when Walt wanted Disneyland to be an inspiration? What does Pixar Pier inspire??

Rich T

From this week's New Yorker. It's so Today's Disney! :D

lazyboy97o

That's can't be right, can it? Where did all of that money go? Do they have to license all that Pixar content? Does that include the Inside Out ride? That's a crazy amount of money for what they did.
Brand new, small spinning flat rides can be had, all in, for about $3 million. Even tripling the cost to account for more robust engineering and a custom skin, you’re only then getting to about $10 million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom