News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Rich T

I have this dream where Disney holds a press conference: "Folks, we can't hide it anymore. The Pier was a bad idea that's just gotten worse. The area will close next month for complete demolition. The land will re-open in 2020 as Vault Disney Avenue, a multi-billion dollar spectacular homage to the best of classic Disney, featuring eight fantastic rides (with not a spinner in the bunch). We've learned our lesson. Measure Twice, Cut Once and Spend Money To Make Money. Oh, I guess that's two lessons, but what the hey."

DanielBB8

Imagineering: Great! We have lots of great ideas. We can tear down California Screamin' and finally remove the off the shelf rides. We are going to go back to our roots with a spectacular themed area, and this will be another great addition to DCA. Imagine the possibilities.
Chapek: No, no. Keep it cheap. Let's work with what we have.
Or he could have said...

“We are committed to finishing Star Wars Land and starting Marvel Superheroes Land and devoting our budget to the park’s expansion. Let’s keep the Pier for awhile as we work on these other projects.”

BrianLo

I feel like the meeting to create Pixar Pier went something like this:
Chapek: Alright guys, its time we get more of a Pixar presence in the parks. I'm thinking we start with reimagining Paradise Pier into something Pixar related.
Imagineering: Great! We have lots of great ideas. We can tear down California Screamin' and finally remove the off the shelf rides. We are going to go back to our roots with a spectacular themed area, and this will be another great addition to DCA. Imagine the possibilities.
Chapek: No, no. Keep it cheap. Let's work with what we have.

:rolleyes:

I actually think this was more Lasseter’s decision/appeasement.

He doesn’t take as much heat as he should. I don’t think Pixar Pier would have happened had Lasseter being given the boot earlier. Versus having someone else in Chapek’s role had some power to say no, but likely would have lead to similar circumstances.

John had a lot of power at the time. People forget that. Even though the parks were not ‘his’, I think John was wielding more power than a new to the role Chapek was company wide. So take heed in the ultimate power behind this project actually no longer being with the company.

John was basically scoping out toy story play land on opening day Shanghai.

I think the sub par Pixar rollout in the worldwide parks in general falls a lot on John.

VJ

He doesn’t take as much heat as he should. I don’t think Pixar Pier would have happened had Lasseter being given the boot earlier. Versus having someone else in Chapek’s role had some power to say no, but likely would have lead to similar circumstances.

John had a lot of power at the time. People forget that. Even though the parks were not ‘his’, I think John was wielding more power than a new to the role Chapek was company wide. So take heed in the ultimate power behind this project actually no longer being with the company.

I think the sub par Pixar rollout in the worldwide parks in general falls a lot on John.
Bingo.

brb1006

Yeah most of the blame can go to Lasseter.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Just for fun, let's look at one of the new Belle animatronics for Tokyo's new BatB attraction:

1S0G95p.gif

....aaaaand we get the Dollar Tree Bing Bong.

Disneylover152

Since ‘Cheapak’ took over the resort is now undergoing a multi-billion dollar expansion. So?

Notice how all of the IPs in the expansion- Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen- are Disney's biggest IPs right now. They are a 95% guarantied success for Cheapek. Beauty and the Beast is a property the general public doesn't care for. Sure the remake made $1 billion, but it's something that was a "watch and done". It was popular when it came out, but no one talks about it now.

BrianLo

Notice how all of the IPs in the expansion- Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen- are Disney's biggest IPs right now. They are a 95% guarantied success for Cheapek. Beauty and the Beast is a property the general public doesn't care for. Sure the remake made $1 billion, but it's something that was a "watch and done". It was popular when it came out, but no one talks about it now.

What? I think we are talking about two separate things. I’m commenting on the ‘cheap’ aspect.

I’m not saying they didn’t sit down and pick between their laundry list of Very popular IP (let’s not pretend like B&TB isn’t one of their biggest princess stalwarts)...

I’m saying because they picked three other (very large) projects, does not mean the company is suddenly ‘cheap’.

The implication that there is even anything mildly risky about building a B&TB attraction is laughable. And in France to boot. They just simply are spending more on WDSP and I think are prioritizing Mickey/Indy.

I would have preferred literally none of the above and more unique creations, but cheapness is generally tied to spending. The Paris project is anything but. Slightly misguided, but certainly not cheap.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom