News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Maybe we would like to see a new attraction with original content like 1967 POTC, but today Disney clearly has different metrics for what it deems a worthwhile investment than it did 50 years ago, and for better or worse millions of guests and fans seem to prefer the current strategy. No one is going to always agree with every move they make, but looking at it objectively Disney's current C level leadership's track record for Parks & Resorts' success speaks for itself.
Don't discount the dumbing down of society though ;)

The emoji movie has currently made over 50 million dollars.

mickEblu

Maybe we would like to see a new attraction with original content like 1967 POTC, but today Disney clearly has different metrics for what it deems a worthwhile investment than it did 50 years ago, and for better or worse millions of guests and fans seem to prefer the current strategy. No one is going to always agree with every move they make, but looking at it objectively Disney's current C level leadership's track record for Parks & Resorts' success speaks for itself.

Metrics Schmetrix. Build something great and they will come. IP or not.

Phroobar

Pixar....as far as the eye can see
Fixed that for you

1ttzeg.jpg

Curious Constance

When they threw out the name Pixar Pier at D23, we all pretty much guessed what that would entail.

And the more details that we hear about, the more I realize we pretty much guessed everything that they are likely going to do.

That's not a good sign. Normal, lay people shouldn't be able to guess what an Imagineering teamed have dreamed up.

We should, you know, be wowed and surprised and amazed at what they have planned for the park.

Last edited:

mickEblu

When they through out the name Pixar Pier at D23, we all pretty much guessed what that would entail.

And the more details that we hear, the more I realized we pretty much guessed everything that they are likely going to do.

That's not a good sign. Normal, lay people shouldn't be able to guess what an Imagineering teamed have dreamed up.

We should, you know, be wowed and surprised and amazed at what they have planned for the park.

To be fair we don't know what color the new spinner will be.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

When they through out the name Pixar Pier at D23, we all pretty much guessed what that would entail.

And the more details that we hear, the more I realized we pretty much guessed everything that they are likely going to do.

The real surprise is figuring out just how lackluster the end result will be.

choco choco

This in turn benefits Parks & Resorts as the IP helps drive traffic. I'm making broad assumptions, but based Disney growing reliance on IP there must be internal metrics and data that proves his strategy is working. Even from our perspective as customers it's quite evident that most of the IP driven content at the parks is very popular.

I disagree with this vehemently (not against you, but Disney's thinking that this is true). What data is there that IP drives merchandise sales and traffic? Did Disney do a study where they opened two attractions with identical budgets and creative teams, one based on an IP and one a totally original idea, and then do studies to see which one had longer waits, sold more merchandise and had higher satisfaction scores?

mickEblu

I disagree with this vehemently (not against you, but Disney's thinking that this is true). What data is there that IP drives merchandise sales and traffic? Did Disney do a study where they opened two attractions with identical budgets and creative teams, one based on an IP and one a totally original idea, and then do studies to see which one had longer waits, sold more merchandise and had higher satisfaction scores?

Exactly. They go with the current strategy because of the perceived lower risk.

If you wanna talk about merch. Does anything sell more than HM merch? An original attraction.

SSG

If you wanna talk about merch. Does anything sell more than HM merch? An original attraction.
Well, it isn't an exact comparison. Pirates and HM stuff sells very well in the parks, but you don't see much of it outside the park ( I mean attraction merch, not the Johnny Depp stuff). But things like Star Wars and Toy Story sell in the parks and at your local Target. Disney wants that Target money so they tie in IPs to new attractions.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The perceived lower risk strategy also extends to the feature film department. Why take a chance on a new storyline, new characters, or anything resembling original when you can just recreate your entire animated library and rake in a billion dollars right and left? This literally will not stop until they hit a huge loss, or the trend in Hollywood changes.

mickEblu

The perceived lower risk strategy also extends to the feature film department. Why take a chance on a new storyline, new characters, or anything resembling original when you can just recreate your entire animated library and rake in a billion dollars right and left? This literally will not stop until they hit a huge loss, or the trend in Hollywood changes.

Yup and I keep yawning my way through most of these movies. Mostly the Marvel ones though. They ve just over saturated the market and I can't take another reboot dammit! Looks like they re trying to make sure that we get sick of Star Wars too.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yup and I keep yawning my way through most of these movies. Mostly the Marve ones though. They ve just over saturated the market and I can't take another reboot dammit!
The last two movies I have seen that truly wowed me and won me over were Get Out and Dunkirk. Wonder Woman was fantastic as well, but that's about the only realm of superhero I can handle right now.

mickEblu

Well, it isn't an exact comparison. Pirates and HM stuff sells very well in the parks, but you don't see much of it outside the park ( I mean attraction merch, not the Johnny Depp stuff). But things like Star Wars and Toy Story sell in the parks and at your local Target. Disney wants that Target money so they tie in IPs to new attractions.

I wish they would see the parks as their own brands. Sure bring in some IP rides but this new Incredibles, GOTG sysnergy stuff releasing with the movie is not sustainable and not good for the long term health of the theme parks. That is, if we can still call them theme parks with a straight face in 10-15 years.

Plus can't they just rely on the movies to sell their merch at Target etc.?

mickEblu

The last two movies I have seen that truly wowed me and won me over were Get Out and Dunkirk. Wonder Woman was fantastic as well, but that's about the only realm of superhero I can handle right now.

I've been wanting to see Dunkirk. Get Out was awesome! Just saw it last week for the first time. Sure, it borrows heavily from Skeleton Key but it had a great tone. Just some of that movie making magic that's hard to capture.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I wish they would see the parks as their own brands. Sure bring in some IP rides but this new Incredibles, GOTG sysnergy stuff releasing with the movie is not sustainable and not good for the long term health of the theme parks. That is, if we can still call them theme parks with a straight face in 10-15 years.

As Ive stated before...fingers crossed that whoever succeeds Iger will actually steer the ship back in the opposite direction of this and not take us further down the road where the parks become just living adverts for whatever happens to be opening that weekend.

Californian Elitist

Yup and I keep yawning my way through most of these movies. Mostly the Marvel ones though. They ve just over saturated the market and I can't take another reboot dammit! Looks like they re trying to make sure that we get sick of Star Wars too.

Facts, facts, and more facts. You guys and gals are on a roll today.

D

Deleted member 107043

Metrics Schmetrix. Build something great and they will come. IP or not.

And what current data or metrics do you have to prove it? Maybe they'll come, but will it be in the numbers and will it generate the kind of revenue generation Disney expects?

D

Deleted member 107043

As Ive stated before...fingers crossed that whoever succeeds Iger will actually steer the ship back in the opposite direction of this and not take us further down the road where the parks become just living adverts for whatever happens to be opening that weekend.

That would be great, but synergy is a powerful thing, therefore I wouldn't expect that to happen when leadership changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom