News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disneylover152

1) They're over the hill or 2) They offer quick paths to A/C on blazing hot days.
or 3) they just appreciate good quality attractions!

or 4) Nostalgia. I know the reason my family loves the Carousel of Progress is because my grandma rode it while pregnant with my mom at the 1967 World's Fair, and my mom rode it while pregnant with me in Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately I can't carry on the tradition because I'm a guy.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Complete difference between coming up with a "new plot" and using an established character that has literally been around for hundreds of years.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but I have no problem with that approach. In fact, that's my whole point. I don't have a problem with Disney taking established Marvel and Star Wars characters, creating their own stories with them and calling that Disney.
I don't even understand myself sometimes...

I guess I'll just have to respectfully differ from you on seeing Marvel and Star Wars as Disney. What do you do with the SW Prequels? Are those "Disney"? Or any of the Fox-made Marvel films? Disney has certainly interpreted both properties to great success, but how do you classify their pre-Dis stuff?

For me there's always going to be a difference between utilizing a public domain story vs. acquiring an entire company's worth of content. Where the former is done by just about everyone all the time, the latter just screams of greed and creative bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I wish they had gone a step forward with this simple aesthetic change and added some detailed elements to the roof line. Also wish they had extended the front and added a nice awening and maybe even a covered queue. There original idea of adding lattice covering would have been a nice touch and helped the people and CM that stand there occasionally have some shade while waiting for their purchase.

If its one thing that I really hate and has become a bad practice is to have so many awful free standing umbrellas scattered around in places that are permanent vending locations

TROR

I agree that it's tipped too far in the other direction and they're cramming stuff where it doesn't necessarily belong, but I also don't know that I really believe most people want to see the kinds of stuff you're talking about inside a theme park anymore. There are some exceptions of course, it's not an absolute rule... on occasion, there's something like Soarin that sneaks in there (or Animal Kingdom). Maybe I'm just jaded...who knows. It's a wonder we still have stuff like Lincoln, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, CoP, etc. And the sad reality of it all, the top reasons most people visit those it is 1) They're over the hill or 2) They offer quick paths to A/C on blazing hot days.

Also... just yet another reminder, this is not a new trend -- it's just that mostly, we don't care for the newer stuff these attractions based on!

21566863_2.jpg
One of the things I really liked about Zorro Days (of which there were only ever a few) at Disneyland was the fact it was the actual actor who played Zorro. Same with when Davy Crockett and The Lone Ranger would stop by. It wasn't some impersonator that's clearly not the actor like we see with Starlord, it was the real deal. There's nothing like that at Disneyland now and I think it's a shame.

SuddenStorm

One of the things I really liked about Zorro Days (of which there were only ever a few) at Disneyland was the fact it was the actual actor who played Zorro. Same with when Davy Crockett and The Lone Ranger would stop by. It wasn't some impersonator that's clearly not the actor like we see with Starlord, it was the real deal. There's nothing like that at Disneyland now and I think it's a shame.

Imagine if Chris Pratt actually showed up for photos.

It'd break the park. Line would be 10 hours long

He'd also likely charge a ton of money.

TROR

Imagine if Chris Pratt actually showed up for photos.

It'd break the park. Line would be 10 hours long

He'd also likely charge a ton of money.

When Guardians Vol. 3 is about to hit theaters, Chris Pratt will stop by Mission Breakout and surprise riders. Bet on it.

Ismael Flores

Johnny Depp has done this occasionally just to surprise guests, Most recently the cast of Wrinkle in time also surprised guests before one of the previews in the sunset theater in DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

TROR

Johnny Depp has done this occasionally just to surprise guests, Most recently the cast of Wrinkle in time also surprised guests before one of the previews in the sunset theater in DCA.

Let's not forget about when Johnny Depp was on PotC or when Mark Hamil showed up in the Star Tours cabin. I do wish they wouldn't have these celebrity appearances just to advertise movies, though, but rather as a draw for the parks like Zorro, Davy Crockett, the Lone Ranger, and the Mickey Mouse Club were. I understand the parks don't need that draw like they did in the 1950's, and I also understand the crowds caused by announcing a celebrity appearance like this would be awful (even if APs were blocked), but I can't help but feel there's a charm to the idea of actors appearing in the parks to not directly be advertising something. Like, the Lone Ranger was in the parks because kids wanted to meet the Lone Ranger, not to strategically advertise The Lone Ranger (1956).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let's not forget about when Johnny Depp was on PotC or when Mark Hamil showed up in the Star Tours cabin. I do wish they wouldn't have these celebrity appearances just to advertise movies, though, but rather as a draw for the parks like Zorro, Davy Crockett, the Lone Ranger, and the Mickey Mouse Club were. I understand the parks don't need that draw like they did in the 1950's, and I also understand the crowds caused by announcing a celebrity appearance like this would be awful (even if APs were blocked), but I can't help but feel there's a charm to the idea of actors appearing in the parks to not directly be advertising something. Like, the Lone Ranger was in the parks because kids wanted to meet the Lone Ranger, not to strategically advertise The Lone Ranger (1956).

But they were literal walking advertisements, its no different.

So when Fess Parker was in Disneyland, he would be there as Davy Crockett not Fess Parker. He was there to promote the show, which in turn brought guests into the parks. Its was part of the contract between ABC and Disney.

Its no different than the kids from Disney Channel shows showing up and surprising guests in WDW. Or as you mentioned Mark Hamil or Johnny Depp at Disneyland. Its all marketing and part of the contracts.

TROR

But they were literal walking advertisements, its no different.

So when Fess Parker was in Disneyland, he would be there as Davy Crockett not Fess Parker. He was there to promote the show, which in turn brought guests into the parks. Its was part of the contract between ABC and Disney.

Its no different than the kids from Disney Channel shows showing up and surprising guests in WDW. Or as you mentioned Mark Hamil or Johnny Depp at Disneyland. Its all marketing and part of the contracts.

I know and I recognize that, but for me personally, there's a difference between Johnny Depp being in the parks as Jack Sparrow a couple of weeks before a new PotC film hits theaters and him being there as Jack Sparrow on a random weekend in January. They both promote the PotC franchise but one feels less in your face about it. Idk if you agree with that but it's just the way I see it.

JD2000

I remember a long discussion taking place on MiceChat about intellectual property and rides. The overwhelming conclusion was the further away from it, the better.

For example (not complete):
IP ride > IP land
no IP (original theme and story) > IP (but limited to theme only) > IP (theme and identical story)

And I couldn't agree more. I want to visit the parks for rides with original theme and story. I am not interesting in spending that kind of money to just re-ride the movies. Universal Studios already does that.

Also, rides with original theme and story are far more timeless.

lazyboy97o

Retelling stories is nothing new, but the issue is how and why. There was never a rule in place that Disney’s animation studio would only make adaptions of existing works.

PB Watermelon

Even the Disney "created" properties were just centuries-old tales in the public domain that Disney re-told and then cried to Congress in order to prevent their interpretations from entering the public domain (irony.)

Yeah, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Bongo, The Wind in the Willows, Melody Time, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book -- CENTURIES OLD!

No.

TragicMike

Yeah, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Bongo, The Wind in the Willows, Melody Time, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book -- CENTURIES OLD!

No.
Fine; really old.

Happy?

D

Deleted member 107043

I do wish they wouldn't have these celebrity appearances just to advertise movies, though, but rather as a draw for the parks like Zorro, Davy Crockett, the Lone Ranger, and the Mickey Mouse Club were

You don't think those events were meant to promote those franchises?

Wow, I can't believe how cynical I've become.

TROR

You don't think those events were meant to promote those franchises?

Wow, I can't believe how cynical I've become.
The franchise, yes. A specific movie, no. But its ultimate goal was to bring guests to Disneyland since the park didn't have the same success it has now. It's a symbiotic relationship where both benefitted. Now it's a parasitical one with IPs just leeching off the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom