News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

dweezil78

Additionally the four original realms, Fantasy Land, Frontier Land, Adventure Land, and Tomorrow Land can be said to be straight from a child's imagination. Playing knights and princess, playing cowboy and indians, going on a jungle adventure, playing as an astronaut. The extension of NOS and Critter Country only expanded upon this further, with playing pirates, telling ghost stories, and playing with talking animals.

I am sad at how so many people refuse to let go of the initial framework of Disneyland from 1955 (literally the same year Marty McFly goes back in time) and resent expansion that breaks those rules. The public's idea of a good time back then was playing with yo-yos and grabbing a malted milkshake from the local soda jerk. It was a simpler blueprint for simpler times.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And Galaxy's Edge fits because children today imagine themselves fighting with Darth Vador or flying the Millenium Falcon, or getting caught in a Star Wars battle with Storm Troopers.
Agreed.

I am sad at how so many people refuse to let go of the initial framework of Disneyland from 1955 and resent expansion that breaks those rules. The public's idea of a good time back then was playing with yo-yos and grabbing a malted milkshake from the local soda jerk. It was a simpler blueprint for simpler times.
I agree, and more so that the idea of an overarching theme even needs to exist today. The rules for themed entertainment need not be set in stone. They can be changed and morphed to meet the times and era that reside, or even tossed away when no longer relevant.

Ismael Flores

Yet EPCOT Center was deemed a success despite not having established Disney characters because it made up for it by containing innovative, crucially produced attractions and environments based on the park's core values and ideologies. (I'm sure @marni1971 could explain further on this with better detail.)

I am not too familiar with the full history of EPCOT center but didn't they rename it to Epcot in the early 90's after several years of decline in attendance that lasted from the late 80's to the mid 90's?

The park had seen its first years of successbecvause of all the innovative technology that was showcased. From what i remember that same success was also its downfall because of aging technology that mostly became irrelevant after the first 10 years of operation

Eisner which took control of the company in the mid 80's saw the issue and pushed for changes to help the struggling park out of the stigma of it being boring and not attracting families. His first action was to add Disney walk around characters dressed in various outfits that fit the areas of the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

Except as has been pointed out not only by you but others, Disney is going away from those overarching themes. This indicates that, as I have stated, an overarching theme is not really needed at this point for the parks. And that Disney has decided, for good or bad, to rewrite the rules for themed entertainment.

Yep. I read a sobering article this morning on Disney's triumphant takeover of the global box office by exploiting well-known IP (Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney classics, etc) over and over. The article doesn't mention Disney's resorts, but it doesn't take an Einstein to see the direct correlation between this strategy and how the resorts are being run today. In other words the deliberate exploitation of IP we've been talking about in the parks is not just rewriting the rules for themed entertainment but it's rewriting the formula for box office success in Hollywood too.

A few key excerpts:

The other matter at hand for Disney is, of course, Black Panther. Ryan Coogler’s indomitable Marvel adaptation has exceeded expectations among analysts, fanboys, and the culture at large. After topping the box office for the fifth consecutive weekend, it has created a new prism of success—with another $27 million this weekend, it sits at $605 million domestically, seventh all time, and within striking distance of no. 3, Titanic, at $659 million. Drink that in. The last time a movie ran the jewels for five weeks straight, it was another James Cameron event, Avatar. That turned out to be the second-highest-grossing movie of all time in America and the biggest by far in the world. America’s biggest? Another Iger concoction, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “The real impact of this movie reaches far beyond the theater,” Iger said of Black Panther. In his 44 years at Disney, he noted, “I’ve never seen anything like the reaction we’ve gotten.”

Black Panther’s storming of the gates means that six of the 10 biggest box-office grossers ever have been released by an arm of the Disney group, all within the past six years. The company also can claim 12 of the top 20. No other studio can claim more than three. The major studios are casually known as the Big Six: Warner Bros., Universal, Fox, Columbia, Paramount, and Disney. But these delineations don’t accurately reflect what Disney has managed to do in the past five years.

Every single one of these movies {Disney's 2018 upcoming releases] —11 in all—is based on a previously existing set of characters and every single one will be spit-shined to corporately magical perfection. Of its dominant 2017 releases, just one was an original story: Coco. It is an astonishing achievement that is both wearying and fascinating. For children, this is a glory, as satisfying a time as there has ever been. None of these movies is rated R, all are interconnected to a world in which the young audience has been investing, and each one comes gilded with merchandise, music, and Happy Meals over which to obsesses. These titles will make up a vast library for those kids (and overgrown fans) to cycle through repeatedly when the company launches its streaming service to rival Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. It won’t hurt to have 50 of the 100 biggest movies ever on day one.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/20...er-wrinkle-in-time-avengers-infinity-war-coco

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismael Flores

Seems like Black Panther might even take this coming weekend as well, the only competition is Pacific Rim and Sherlock Gnomes. Are those properties strong enough to dethrone Black Panther?

The week after that there are two major releases, Gods not dead and Acrimony also two movies that might not be strong enough to beat Panther unless group tickets are sold for the Christian based movie.

Can Black Panther stay number one until Ready player one comes out?

Phroobar

Seems like Black Panther might even take this coming weekend as well, the only competition is Pacific Rim and Sherlock Gnomes. Are those properties strong enough to dethrone Black Panther?

The week after that there are two major releases, Gods not dead and Acrimony also two movies that might not be strong enough to beat Panther unless group tickets are sold for the Christian based movie.

Can Black Panther stay number one until Ready player one comes out?
Don't forget Tomb Raider. It saw it Saturday. It was meh. They made Laura Croft out to be wimpy.

Ismael Flores

Don't forget Tomb Raider. It saw it Saturday. It was meh. They made Laura Croft out to be wimpy.

yeah i saw it too, they did make Lara wimpy. I took it as a origin story kind of like the Spiderman movies where Spidey needed to get his mojo going before goring some ......

she kind of redeems herself in the third act and if a sequal is made i expect her to be a bit more of a kick

Ismael Flores

Wrinkled Opray In Time failed.

yeah its a shame, i went and saw it (moviepass is awesome, get to watchmovies wouldn't normally pay for to see intheaters ) and actually thought it was better than what the critics thought about it.

the movie does have lots of flaws but it turned out to be a good family movie. I wonder if it is true what some movie sites were reporting about a couple of groups purposely voting it down because of the movies removal of the Christian aspect seen in the book. The movie seems to be more about the science aspect of the whole experience.

DanielBB8

I wonder if it is true what some movie sites were reporting about a couple of groups purposely voting it down because of the movies removal of the Christian aspect seen in the book. The movie seems to be more about the science aspect of the whole experience.
I would argue that if you change the movie to be different enough from the source material, you leave behind it’s built in audience. No one cares about this new version because it isn’t better.

I never read the book and thus, the second aspect is the stunt casting. Some say the movie has non white people in the cast which is a problem. Not necessarily I would argue. However, it’s not the same story. It’s something else.

D

Deleted member 107043

It’s actually a second remake. The first remake was by the Weinstein Company when it was owned by Disney. It was tested and it’s a beloved story. It was botched.

Yeah, you mean the made for TV movie? I wouldn't call that one outing 'tested' IP, nor a 'big bet'.

TROR

The Haunted Mansion. Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. Country Bears. The Lone Ranger. John Carter. Prince of Persia. Tomorrowland. TRON: Legacy. Hey, wait a second, do you think this has more to do with the fact Disney is just bad at making live action movies?

Ismael Flores

I would argue that if you change the movie to be different enough from the source material, you leave behind it’s built in audience. No one cares about this new version because it isn’t better.

I never read the book and thus, the second aspect is the stunt casting. Some say the movie has non white people in the cast which is a problem. Not necessarily I would argue. However, it’s not the same story. It’s something else.

I don't know where people got the idea that the movie had non white people in the cast. It has Reese Witherspoons, Chris Pine,Zach Galifianakis and levi Miller. I think the whole race thing in movie has gone out of hand if people are judging movies because of that.

D

Deleted member 107043

The Haunted Mansion. Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. Country Bears. The Lone Ranger. John Carter. Prince of Persia. Tomorrowland. TRON: Legacy. Hey, wait a second, do you think this has more to do with the fact Disney is just bad at making live action movies?

Some of those were massive hits and others weren't. No one is saying Disney isn't subject to failure. Overall though, as the article proves, relying on strong reliable IP has catapulted Disney to a place that's currently unmatched in the film industry. It's a successful tactic that they seem to be trying to adapt to their resorts.

Last edited by a moderator:

nevol

Again great points, however I counter with this. You bring up the castle parks, isn't that really just a collection of themed areas with no real overarching theme? Now some, and I'll venture to guess you will be in this group, will say that its Walt that is the overarching theme. However I say that is not so, it was Walt who brought different themes into one location yes, but he didn't really tie them all together to be one larger cohesive theme. Its different areas of the park that guests can move around that have no theme that ties one to another. Or to say it a different way, the only overarching theme is imagination. Which can be said about any Disney park no matter the theme. Its the imagination that allows us the guest to disconnect from reality and believe we are on an adventure in the jungle, or flying in a pirate ship around London and into Neverland, or now walking into a land filled with your favorite characters from Pixar or soon to be Marvel. But there is no overarching theme that says what I just experienced while riding Jungle Cruise is somehow tied to me riding a flying pirate ship over the streets of London other than imagination.

All Disney parks are really is just an extension of our childhood imagination. There is no overarching theme needed more than just that. Now that is not to say that you can't have parks with different focuses. For example animals or technology with Animal Kingdom and Epcot respectively. However the idea that a park based on California located in California was a good focus for a park was flawed to begin with. And the fact that Disney changed directions is pretty clear they have decided it was a focus of the park that couldn't be maintained. So the focus of DCA will now be similar to Hollywood Studios, with the focus on the imagination of bringing characters and their worlds to life.

I will agree that its the execution of the themed experiences that set Disney apart from the competition. But it is ultimately the public that will determine if the execution is a success or not.
Preparing a response. ttyl!

DanielBB8

Yeah, you mean the made for TV movie? I wouldn't call that one outing 'tested' IP, nor a 'big bet'.
Many television shows became movies as a result of it’s popularity. So you mean from it’s one outing, they were deceived into spending a ton of money on a dead project. I think they were sure it was going to be a great success.

D

Deleted member 107043

Many television shows became movies as a result of it’s popularity. So you mean from it’s one outing, they were deceived into spending a ton of money on a dead project. I think they were sure it was going to be a great success.

Hoping maybe, but sure? Hmmm I doubt it.

Point is, in terms of business strategy, big bets on well-known established IP, like SW, Disney classics, Marvel, etc, has been an incredibly lucrative strategy for Disney, both for the Studio and P&R. If you disagree with me that's fine, but let's agree to disagree now before this discussion goes off the rails.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom