News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

dweezil78

Theming this coaster around a family trying to catch their baby is the single worst idea I've ever heard in the history of Disney parks.

Lol, yes, when you conveniently leave out the fact that the family is the 'Incredibles' it does sound like a pretty bad, irresponsible idea. Just like the one where you go into that house where a guy hung himself and then spend the next 8 minutes slowly passing by a bunch of dead people.

No Name

This is one of the most idiotic changes in Disney park history.

When I said this the hour it was announced, we had almost no info except for a decent-looking piece of concept art. Now we have a ton of info and unfortunately I stand by this comment more strongly than I ever have. They have a budget to make improvements, yet they're regressing toward the original DCA.

As if this wasn't bad enough, notice the ride sign now reads "Toy Story Mania". And the sun replacement inside the loop is now an Incredibles logo.
1520886283025.png

Last edited:

mickEblu

Now we have a ton of info and somehow I stand by this comment more strongly than I ever have. They have a budget to make improvements, yet they're regressing toward the original DCA.

As if this wasn't bad enough, notice the ride sign now reads "Toy Story Mania". And the sun replacement inside the loop is now an Incredibles logo.
View attachment 269867

What!? Why does removing “Midway” from the name me off way more than it should?

No Name

What!? Why does removing “Midway” from the name **** me off way more than it should?

Marketing doesn't care that Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters goes by a different name at every single one of the five parks it's in, or that all of those variants contain more than three words. Yet for some reason they started a fight over the name Toy Story Midway Mania in 2008 and haven't backed down since. It's incredibly childish.

Shigg. W. McGee

When I said this the hour it was announced, we had almost no info except for a decent-looking piece of concept art. Now we have a ton of info and unfortunately I stand by this comment more strongly than I ever have. They have a budget to make improvements, yet they're regressing toward the original DCA.

View attachment 269867
I'm pretty sure that concept art is inaccurate. This photo posted by themeparkreview shows a model of Pixar Pier with the logo found on some of the construction walls. Also notice how it also says "Midway Mania".
img_6302_0.jpg

Rich T

Lol, yes, when you conveniently leave out the fact that the family is the 'Incredibles' it does sound like a pretty bad, irresponsible idea. Just like the one where you go into that house where a guy hung himself and then spend the next 8 minutes slowly passing by a bunch of dead people.
Let me rephrase that: theming this coaster around The Incredibles chasing their baby instead of--oh, I dunno, maybe saving the guests from a supervillain or something--is the worst idea (not involving Drew Carey getting a haircut) in the history of Disney parks . They have turned California Screamin' (which was just about perfect the way it was) into Popeye Chases Swee' Pea The Ride. And they have settled on the most uninspiring, dull, mundane plot imaginable for an Incredibles ride. I can't imagine Brad Bird is proud of this.
(EDIT) BTW, your description of HM still sounds like a more intriguing experience than this thing.

mickEblu

Let me rephrase that: theming this coaster around The Incredibles chasing their baby instead of--oh, I dunno, maybe saving the guests from a supervillain or something--is the worst idea (not involving Drew Carey getting a haircut) in the history of Disney parks . They have turned California Screamin' (which was just about perfect the way it was) into Popeye Chases Swee' Pea The Ride. And they have settled on the most uninspiring, dull, mundane plot imaginable for an Incredibles ride. I can't imagine Brad Bird is proud of this.
(EDIT) BTW, your description of HM still sounds like a more intriguing experience than this thing.

I do agree that the Incredibles deserved more than a coaster retheme. Ideally it would have been some sort immersive E ticket where we could battle a super villain. But considering they just rethemed Screamin I kind of like the route they went. I think going with a more casual story works with this casual overlay if you will. Not sure how much they could make me believe we re fighting some super villain with a few projections in the tunnels.

Although I think if they used the villains robot from the movie (instead of inside out) as the spinner going in the helix and have the bottom be the spinner ride and the top half actually interact with guests riding the coaster would have been cool.

__r.jr

I think the downside to these big-scale insanely immersive lands is that cheaper projects seem, well, even cheaper.

Not every project needs to be a hyper themed environment. Harambe Market, for example, fits cohesively and narratively in Animal Kingdom than Pixar Pier ever will in California Adventure. A quick service eatery is given greater thought and execution.

An idealized turn of the century seaside pier had so much potential. Was the concept perfect? By no means however what we were given appeared to be promising. It's disappointing that Disney themselves didn't believe in it fully even though the public's reception to the re-branding of California Adventure six years ago states otherwise.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

View attachment 269867

that must be an older art, I say that because the statue is not placed in the same position as the final model. The final model has her standing next to a cactus.

someone did mention that the Midway part of the attraction might be removed so that the name match other copies of the ride around the world, hopefully that is not true.

Last edited:

nevol

Most of this project amounts to swapping the colors between structures, and oddly, restoring the trendy teal that they'd spent years getting rid of, but this time on the wheel.

Incredicoaster looks self-aware of its own shortcomings. They seem to have scaled it back from a story taking place in their house, told ineffectively on a roller coaster, to a story about/on a roller coaster. It is actually better despite being less ambitious because it would be more successful/believable. However, just like with Guardians, this doesn't do the IP any justice. It is a roller coaster themed to a roller coaster featuring some cute/funny character moments in tunnels.

No Name

I'm pretty sure that concept art is inaccurate. This photo posted by themeparkreview shows a model of Pixar Pier with the logo found on some of the construction walls. Also notice how it also says "Midway Mania".
img_6302_0.jpg

Even in that picture the loop image is different in the model and the art behind it, so I don't know. I hope you're right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom