News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Casper Gutman

I don't get the opposition to this. Paradise Pier as it stands now smacks of the failed original DCA and doesn't really have much of a coherent identity. None of the rides are iconic or even very good, so overlays won't hurt.

And the Tokyo TSMM is a great tribute to the classic Trolley Parks - spot on. The Woody head is a riff on Coney Island, of course.

djlaosc

Not loving this idea, but hopefully more specific information, including dates will be released soon - we have our first DLR trip booked for April next year staying at Villas at Grand Californian and am not looking forward to the prospect of looking out over a building site.

Do we think that they will be doing one attraction at a time, or will they shut the whole land down at once?

mickEblu

I don't get the opposition to this. Paradise Pier as it stands now smacks of the failed original DCA and doesn't really have much of a coherent identity. None of the rides are iconic or even very good, so overlays won't hurt.

And the Tokyo TSMM is a great tribute to the classic Trolley Parks - spot on. The Woody head is a riff on Coney Island, of course.

I dont think oversized Woody heads and an incredibles soundtrack on California screamin are the answer. Would definitely prefer what we have now to that.

TP2000

Okay, so some person in the other thread is trying to tell me all the announcements were expected. Were we expecting this? Talk about left field.

Totally out of left field, and no one was expecting this.

But all this appears to be is a bit of plussing up of the Pier area that still looks like 2001. From the artwork above, they are redoing this section of the boardwalk.
i-SvJk297-M.jpg

The new Pixar Pals Theater and Bing Bong's Confectionery extends the much more elaborate architecture of Midway Mania and Games of the Boardwalk north into this area that Paul Pressler did.

kibia16

Maybe it's temporary during the Year of Pixar? It's hard to believe this would all be permanent, especially with the rides currently there and Carsland being 1 "land" away...

According to the parks blog, this is a permanent addition that will be happening next year:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...land-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4D23DPBSupport23A

Pixar Pier will feature a brand-new look for the area now known as Paradise Pier, as some of your favorite characters come to life on this seaside waterfront. You will discover whimsical neighborhoods filled with your friends from “The Incredibles,” “Inside Out” and even more of your pals from “Toy Story.” Building upon the evolution of Disney California Adventure park that began in 2007, we are building more new worlds for you to step into and enjoy your favorite stories.

This permanent addition to the park will open during a new limited-time celebration taking place throughout the Disneyland Resort in 2018 — Pixar Fest!

TP2000

Not loving this idea, but hopefully more specific information, including dates will be released soon - we have our first DLR trip booked for April next year staying at Villas at Grand Californian and am not looking forward to the prospect of looking out over a building site.

Do we think that they will be doing one attraction at a time, or will they shut the whole land down at once?

Aren't they just redoing the Sideshow Shirts gift shop into a theater and candy shop? And adding a water feature to the boardwalk in front? (I was coming back from the barber shop when this got announced, so I need to listen to it in full on YouTube or something.)

Here's the view from the DVC Villas at Grand Californian.
DSC_0116.jpg

Sideshow Shirts is obscured behind the Fun Wheel. I would think the view of a Mad Mouse coaster, plus the CM break area directly below your balcony with ride operators smoking Camel Lights and drinking coffee, would be more disturbing than the remodeling of a gift shop 250 yards away behind the Ferris wheel.

Californian Elitist

I can bet all of us agree Paradise Pier needs work, however slapping characters on it is lazy, predictable, and uninspiring.

djlaosc

Aren't they just redoing the Sideshow Shirts gift shop into a theater and candy shop? And adding a water feature to the boardwalk in front? (I was coming back from the barber shop when this got announced, so I need to listen to it in full on YouTube or something.)

Here's the view from the DVC Villas at Grand Californian.
DSC_0116.jpg

Sideshow Shirts is obscured behind the Fun Wheel. I would think the view of a Mad Mouse coaster, plus the CM break area directly below your balcony with ride operators smoking Camel Lights and drinking coffee, would be more disturbing than the remodeling of a gift shop 250 yards away behind the Ferris wheel.

I guess it depends on if that sign on the right hand side of the concept art says "Pixar Fun Wheel", and whether the rumour of California Screamin' getting an overlay/change in music is true as well...

If it is just the section that you have mentioned, that is one thing, but if they are re-theming the 8 rides of Paradise Pier (not including TSMM, and I can't see them re-theming The Little Mermaid, unless it was to change to Nemo [which would probably be too similar to the subs]), then that would be another...

TP2000

Hadn't noticed that. I was too busy admiring the unrealistic lack of crowds, strollers and motorized carts. I thought this was some sort of weird overlay, not a re-skin of everything there. Pixar Fun Wheel. Pixar Theater. Pixar Screamin'? Planes Flight School? Oh, wait. That isn't Pixar.

Me either. This is weird and confusing. This isn't a seasonal overlay? A full rework of every Pier ride except Little Mermaid?

I need to wait for someone to upload the full presentation to YouTube so we can hear exactly what Bobby Chapek said. Or didn't say.

djlaosc

Me either. This is weird and confusing. This isn't a seasonal overlay? A full rework of every Pier ride except Little Mermaid?

I need to wait for someone to upload the full presentation to YouTube so we can hear exactly what Bobby Chapek said. Or didn't say.

This may have the Pixar section in it - it is not working for me at the moment to check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom