News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D

Deleted member 107043

Guardians is under construction. They began clearing the land in September...

And TRON is going under permits right now and they will soon begin clearing the land.

You also have to count the fact that once TSL and SWGE construction is done, they will have so many more imagineers to build these attractions. They built 4 rides in these two lands in 2-3 years. They can build TRON and Guardians by 2021.

What's happening with Mickey Runaway Train thing at WDS?

The other thing to consider when making the comparison between DLR and WDW is the Pixar Pier makeover was announced with a firm opening of summer 2018. As far as know the Florida projects in question were not.

Disneylover152

What's happening with Mickey Runaway Train thing at WDS?

The other thing to consider when making the comparison between DLR and WDW is the Pixar Pier makeover was announced with a firm opening of summer 2018. As far as know the Florida projects in question were not.

According to my friend who is an imagineer, the inside of GMR is already gutted and they are already building the new ride. And the entire ride is entirely planned out and pieces were already built in warehouses prior to being announced at D23.

DanielBB8

I'd argue that yes there would be. People know what they're getting when you brand something SW. But something new and fantastically unknown could create even more buzz just because of all the mystery around it. ...

Also, I really just kind of have to laugh at the notion of financial risk in spending a couple hundred million on an attraction/land whatever, when Iger doesn't bat an eye at the notion of dropping billions just to acquire another company. If you think of all the money he has spent on acquisitions since his tenure began (roughly 70 billion all in), it's almost a joke to think that investing even a fraction of that money into the parks for a new original E-ticket would be seen as too "risky".
The thing is the money that’s invested in franchises were already tested in the real world. They don’t have to invest additional money to create characters and backstories. They can focus on the attractions and use models that were already created.

As for something truly original, how many times have it failed to realize the risk. Haunted Mansion and Pirates resulted from Walt Disney’s genius. Imagineering came from the studios. So aren’t we going acknowledge that attractions are essentially movie productions. Movie failures are far more numerous than successes. It’s always easy to look at this from the backseat and not the drivers seat. Today movies are derivative. Nothing is truly original.

TROR

Haunted Mansion and Pirates resulted from Walt Disney’s genius.
Marc Davis's genius*. It's his wit and humor that truly help make these attractions so brilliant, especially Pirates. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone at WDI currently with his brilliance. Or perhaps there is and they aren't given the chance to shine.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Yeah, Walt didn't even know what The Haunted Mansion even was in that film where he toured WED. He was convinced there was something called the House of Illusions.

"What do we call it? The House of Illusions??"

Even when Marc Davis tells him it's The Haunted Mansion, he immediately gets it wrong.

"Haunted Mansion and, uh, supernatural!"

What the heck? Maybe he had too many Scotch Mists that day.

DanielBB8

Yeah, Walt didn't even know what The Haunted Mansion even was in that film where he toured WED. He was convinced there was something called the House of Illusions.

"What do we call it? The House of Illusions??"

Even when Marc Davis tells him it's The Haunted Mansion, he immediately gets it wrong.

"Haunted Mansion and, uh, supernatural!"

What the heck? Maybe he had too many Scotch Mists that day.
You can’t be serious. Walt knows exactly what he’s doing with the Haunted Mansion. He died in 1966. The ride opened in 1969. He was fully involved until he wasn’t, but three years later it opened.

In the tour, the museum of the weird was referred to. Walt didn’t remember that name either. And there’s ghosts too. Imagine that!!!

Last edited:

nevol

The problem with these "in-park surveys" are that they essentially just ask "do you want Marvel in the park?" and people say yeah so they destroy Tower of Terror. If they were to ask "do you want a new attraction on the scale of Pirates of the Caribbean themed to the wild west?" most people would say yes to that, too, I'd wager.
YES! And somebody who just got through security and ticketing stopped by a survey person doesn't understand frankly what it is they even like about Disneyland. Disneyland is its own IP and theme park design is a very careful, meticulous, balanced product. People walking into DCA and thinking, "hmmm, it doesn't feel very Disney" can't properly articulate what is missing from the equation, so they and management interpret that as CHARACTERS/IP. When Disneyland opened, Walt didn't even WANT characters in the park. Sure, they appeal to some people, but the segment of the population that goes to take photos with guys in costumes and buy merchandise do not speak for everyone. Other things that feel like Disney and create disney magic are rides that appeal to our greatest aspirations, themes and stories that speak to the greatest myths of our society, and richly detailed lands that collectively are more truthful about who we are despite being artificial than most of the city around us.

nevol

According to my friend who is an imagineer, the inside of GMR is already gutted and they are already building the new ride. And the entire ride is entirely planned out and pieces were already built in warehouses prior to being announced at D23.
I would DIE. But I'd heard that they never built GRR to be able to support another ride inside of it?

nevol

The problem with these "in-park surveys" are that they essentially just ask "do you want Marvel in the park?" and people say yeah so they destroy Tower of Terror. If they were to ask "do you want a new attraction on the scale of Pirates of the Caribbean themed to the wild west?" most people would say yes to that, too, I'd wager.
Imagine Golden Dreams being told on a pirates shanghai style boat ride. Could oscillate surreally between realistic sets like pirates, and more cartooney backdrops like the western river expedition or imax style set extension projections to fill the sky and backgrounds. Would be so psychedelic and emotional.

mickEblu

What's interesting to me is to see all this construction across both parks in Anaheim right now, while several big projects that were formally announced for WDW at D23 Expo have quietly been cancelled or put on hold.

• The Hyperion-style big theater announced for Magic Kingdom's Main Street USA has now been cancelled.
  • The Star Wars Hotel has not begun construction yet and no further information has been released.
  • The Guardians ride for Epcot has not begun construction yet, with no opening timeline released.
  • The Tron Lightcycle ride for Tomorrowland has not begun construction yet, with no opening timeline released.
Especially for those two E Ticket coasters, they need to begin construction very soon in order to make it to the kickoff of WDW's 50th Anniversary celebration in Spring, 2021. Or, they need to begin construction by this fall in order to make it to an October, 2021 opening for the actual 50th anniversary of WDW.

The Rat ride for Epcot, plus the new hotels and gondola system, are under construction now. But the rest have been cancelled or are in a very quiet state of suspended animation right now.

Meanwhile, in Anaheim...
View attachment 262966

What about the Mickey ride?

mickEblu

And I own a Mickey backpack. Owning a Jack Skellington backpack doesn't make you an idiot. It's a certain type of Jack skellington backpack owner I'm talking about. The kind that will find two rocks on the ground, call it Star Wars land rubble and to gain comments on their YouTube video, offer to give it to the two who make the best comments.

Who were those two crazy bloggers that were on TSI when it first opened last summer that we were all extremely annoyed by? I saw them in Toontown late last night and they were standing by the parked trolley and shooting a video in some extremely annoying voices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom