Paradise Park to be consumed by a Pixar expansion?

mharrington

Original Poster
I really didn't want to get involved in rumors of the future so soon after D23, but here I am. Maybe @marni1971 or @GiveMeTheMusic can shed some light.

On Facebook, I spotted a comment about, given the myriad of Pixar attractions at the CA Adventure, one person calls it Pixarland instead. A remark was posted in response, saying that if that's the case, then Avengers Campus doesn't fit, and neither do the Little Mermaid ride or the Goofy coaster, both in the area cut off from Pixar Pier called Paradise Park.

Then someone else responded that the Little Mermaid ride is not going to be around much longer, because Disney doesn't hype it up. It gets decent foot traffic, but it is, in this poster's words, "a second-thought ride". When asked about where he heard this rumor, he said they haven't announced anything yet, but that "the writing is on the wall because they ignore the rides and change everything around it. All of the Ariel/Little Mermaid themed attractions and shops around it have changed to Pixar."

Just so you know these were all posted in the comments section of the FB page on Defunctland, the main post of which asked if the upcoming EPCOT overhaul isn't the biggest overhaul in park history, then what is? And the poster who brought up the rumored closure of the Little Mermaid ride said it was the DCA overhaul.

I really hope this is not true, as I do like the Little Mermaid ride (and the Goofy coaster), so can anyone, preferably @marni1971 or @GiveMeTheMusic, shed some light on this?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I really didn't want to get involved in rumors of the future so soon after D23, but here I am. Maybe @marni1971 or @GiveMeTheMusic can shed some light.

On Facebook, I spotted a comment about, given the myriad of Pixar attractions at the CA Adventure, one person calls it Pixarland instead. A remark was posted in response, saying that if that's the case, then Avengers Campus doesn't fit, and neither do the Little Mermaid ride or the Goofy coaster, both in the area cut off from Pixar Pier called Paradise Park.

Then someone else responded that the Little Mermaid ride is not going to be around much longer, because Disney doesn't hype it up. It gets decent foot traffic, but it is, in this poster's words, "a second-thought ride". When asked about where he heard this rumor, he said they haven't announced anything yet, but that "the writing is on the wall because they ignore the rides and change everything around it. All of the Ariel/Little Mermaid themed attractions and shops around it have changed to Pixar."

Just so you know these were all posted in the comments section of the FB page on Defunctland, the main post of which asked if the upcoming EPCOT overhaul isn't the biggest overhaul in park history, then what is? And the poster who brought up the rumored closure of the Little Mermaid ride said it was the DCA overhaul.

I really hope this is not true, as I do like the Little Mermaid ride (and the Goofy coaster), so can anyone, preferably @marni1971 or @GiveMeTheMusic, shed some light on this?
I have no inside information. But I will say, don't believe anything you see posted on a FB page without a second non-FB source confirming it.

George Lucas on a Bench

Screenshot_2019-08-26-22-49-01.png

It's not in Pixar Pier. Nothing around it is Pixar and the Mickey head remains on the ferris wheel regardless of the name change and Pixarian characters slapped on the bucket.

I think this is a hoax. I can't see them removing or replacing Mermaids: The New Evidence. It's one of the few things in DCA that appeals to little girls.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Nope. I can’t add anything.

Cheney!

I don't think they will, mostly because why bother? Marvel's going to be carrying the park for years once it opens next year, so I doubt there'll be any incentive to do more.

truecoat

The greatest failing of TLM was the fact that a ride based on the sea has not a drop of water, thus no kinetic energy. It is all plastic and projections. Imagine if TLM was a boat ride like its a small world or better, like PotC. It would be legendary.

I always thought it's failing was location. It just sits by itself on that side of the park. If this ride was in Fantasyland, I'm sure it would be a lot busier.

Reminds me of when they moved the Mickey meet and greet at WDW to Main Street from the old Toon Town. There was barely any wait for a long time. I'm not sure if it's that way today but it's location really affected the wait times.

mickEblu

The greatest failing of TLM was the fact that a ride based on the sea has not a drop of water, thus no kinetic energy. It is all plastic and projections. Imagine if TLM was a boat ride like its a small world or better, like PotC. It would be legendary.

Well to be fair anything done to POTCs level of quality would be legendary. Tony Baxter’s version of TLM was much more like a POTC version of Mermaid.

Not having water is a big fail.

captveg

I always thought it's failing was location. It just sits by itself on that side of the park. If this ride was in Fantasyland, I'm sure it would be a lot busier.

If they were to put another all-ages dark ride or two near it (say, in the Wine Country/Sonoma Terrace footprint, or the Redwood Creek Trail footprint) you'd probably get more general traffic in the area that are there for a group of 4-5 rides (if one counts GRR and GSS).

Cheney!

If they were to put another all-ages dark ride or two near it (say, in the Wine Country/Sonoma Terrace footprint, or the Redwood Creek Trail footprint) you'd probably get more general traffic in the area that are there for a group of 4-5 rides (if one counts GRR and GSS).
I don't really know where there would be room for more rides in that area. It's kind of squeezed between a big pond and big mountain, and I don't know if putting something into Redwood Creek would do much for Mermaid. I've fantasized about putting a grand Mystic Manor-type dark ride on top of GSS/ the gift shops & hot dog stands in the area, and I think that would almost be a permanent solution to get crowds in that corner, but that's another story.

Cheney!

I don't really know where there would be room for more rides in that area. It's kind of squeezed between a big pond and big mountain, and I don't know if putting something into Redwood Creek would do much for Mermaid. I've fantasized about putting a grand Mystic Manor-type dark ride on top of GSS/ the gift shops & hot dog stands in the area, and I think that would almost be a permanent solution to get crowds in that corner, but that's another story.

captveg

Judging by the size of Little Mermaid there's plenty of space for a dark ride in either spot if they were so inclined.

Cheney!

Judging by the size of Little Mermaid there's plenty of space for a dark ride in either spot if they were so inclined.

View attachment 402671
Yeah, I understand that either of those spaces would make viable expansion pads, but I don't know what Disney could put into Redwook Creek to draw in guests. An UP attraction? Other generic "foresty" thing like Brave or something? Country Bears? I wish. And I don't think Disney would be privy to demolishing prime restaurant space pretty soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom