Paper Straws?

tnemgif

Original Poster
I need some help from the Disney geniuses/maniacs (no offense, lol). I remember going to epcot 10-15 years ago and they were using paper straws. Half my family agrees, and the rest say they don't remember. I know it sounds rediculous but I really remember them using these strange cardboard straws...I can't tell you exactly where I saw them so I know I'm not giving much help but I would really appreciate someone helping me out. Thank you

Robfasto

Yep, all straws on Disney Property used to be paper. The first time I saw them I thought they had to be crazy... but then again you drink out of a paper cup so it all works out.

I think (not 100% sure) they change to plastic straws not long after EPCOT Center opened to the public.

righttrack

Its a biodegradable vs non-biodegradable situation. Straws fly quickly out of your hands and endup everywhere. If they are paper, they are gone in a few rainstorms. Regarding AK, yes, its because of the animals. I think they should provide paper straws there, since they wouldn't harm the animals. Can you even get paper straws anymore?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I agree that they should have paper straw at Animal Kingdom. They wouldn't hurt the animals (at least not like plastic ones). And sometimes people need to drink out of a straw and don't think ahead to bring their own.

63 days! :wave:

ToTBellHop

You shouldn't really bring straws into Animal Kingdom...they don't want them in the park because they inevitably fall into the enclosures (even if you don't do it on purpose, say you throw it into a trash can less than empty and a gust of wind blows it out...), the animals eat them, choke, and die. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for that...are straws that essential? Especially at AK, which usually feels a good 10º hotter than the other parks, I'm usually happy to "accidentally" spill my drink all over me...

WDWRLD

We would always bring in two straws to AK with us when my son was just getting out of the sippy cup phase. He would make a mess of himself without them. We would always get a bottled drink and when we threw it away we would put the top on it with the straw inside so no animals could get to it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
ISTCNavigator57 said:
You shouldn't really bring straws into Animal Kingdom...they don't want them in the park because they inevitably fall into the enclosures (even if you don't do it on purpose, say you throw it into a trash can less than empty and a gust of wind blows it out...), the animals eat them, choke, and die. I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for that...are straws that essential? Especially at AK, which usually feels a good 10º hotter than the other parks, I'm usually happy to "accidentally" spill my drink all over me...

Straws right now are essential for me. I have a tooth that is killing me, I am getting a root canal done next week, and the only way I can drink anything right now is to drink through a straw, it directs it away from my tooth. I'm sure plenty of other people find other needs for straws. Like some one with a muscle condition that can't hold on to a cup properly and doesn't want to spill it on themselves...

Robfasto

brich said:
Imagine a straw the melts away in rain yet withstands soaking in a Coke/Pepsi, which amazing removes rust from steel... :eek:

Yes, they worked great if you didn't let them soak for 3 or 4 hours.

tk421-sw

wow, napkins, and now straws. these boards are getting better and better!.. No, just kidding. Yeah i remember that at Sea World, didnt really think about it at AK, normaly just get water because it's so dang hot there! I hope i don't get picked up to work at AK!.

MissM

I actually always use straws because of extreme cold sensitivity in my teeth. A wide-mouth cup without a straw just means pain because the ice comes charging at your mouth.

If straws aren't available, bottles are the next best thing. But still, straws make it easier.

Back to the original topic... It sounds familier. The waxy paper straws but I can't say for certain that I remember it being a Disney thing. I think Busch Gardens had them for awhile too so I'm not sure which I'm remembering as a kid.
-m

Fantasmic!329

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Especially at AK, which usually feels a good 10º hotter than the other parks, I'm usually happy to "accidentally" spill my drink all over me...
I totally agree. AK always feels hotter than the rest of the parks. But then a good ride on Kali leaves you feeling refreshed. :)

AEfx

Scooter said:
Animal Kingdom doesn't have straws at all.

LOL, well...they DO have those refillable sports bottles with animal heads on them which do have straws. However, the CM's aren't allowed to say they have straws in them, they are called "plastic tubes".

I was informed of this by a CM who took it very seriously. It was the end of the day and we were chatting as I bought one (the Dinosaur one, hehe) and I said, "Yeah, I guess this is the only way I'm going to get a straw." I said it with a smile, and good naturedly, and his face just dropped like he had to tell my my dog died. He said, "Oh, no, that's not a straw, it's a plastic tube".

He made me think I was angering the Disney-Gods by refering to it as a straw. ;)

Hehe, gotta love Disney. :)

AEfx

Disney_Belle

Scooter said:
Animal Kingdom doesn't have straws at all.

(We bring our own when we go there) :lookaroun

I got a smoothie there with a cute blue plastic (the hard plastic reusable ones) with a safari mickey hanging off it. very cute but it probably added 2.00 to the drink :)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
zombie_thread_210.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom