Pandoran problems 4.25.18

Nubs70

Lets just look at those terms of service that are part of every admission media purchase:

Parks, restaurants, attractions, recreation, FastPass+ selections, entertainment, and other products, services or items are subject to change without notice, cancellation, and may close temporarily due to rehabilitation, refurbishing, capacity, seasonal, inclement weather or special events and may otherwise change or be discontinued without notice and without liability to the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort. Ticket media is not valid for special or premium events or other activities which are separately priced. Admission entitlements are non-transferrable, not for resale, and must be used by the same person on any and all days. Age restrictions apply for access to certain facilities. Guests must be 21 years of age or older with valid proof of age to redeem alcohol entitlements.

It doesnt say that if Dumbo isnt spinning around in circles, you get a free premium Mickey Bar from Walt's Cryovault.
Nothing says Customer Service like "Have you read your Terms of Service"?

This approach breads loyalty like mine to Concast.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not qualified either but that's why we're on a forum debating this instead of working as consultants for Disney - amiright? ;)
ng.

It's understandable given the scale and completeness of the environment they've created there which in person, is impressive (and the investment that went with it) but I think it highlights the potential problems that come with basing a whole land - and the marketing of that land as a new "land" - around only one or two attractions.

But but but what about the roving hippies that beat drums ?

MrPromey

Why would you not do that? Right before park close every ride is a walk on. It’s better than staying up till midnight to make sure you get a fastpass or wake up at the crack of dawn to get there before the park even opens. It means you get to ride an additional attraction with absolutely no impact on the rest of your park hours.

The idea of being at a park for rope drop and running through the hoard to get to something like Frozen in Epcot or staying until midnight to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine train is great for reasonably young adults not burdened with young children.

It becomes a much different situation when dealing with very young children who are kept up way past normal bedtime (and expected to wake early the next morning for the other end of the commando romp) and older family members who can't move as quickly and can't handle the all-day death march approach to visiting parks, either.

I see this from both sides. In my early 20's I went to Disneyland in CA with extended family. The absolute best time I had was when we got separated and I got to do most of that park by myself for almost a complete day. I had huge horrible blisters on my feet and my legs were burning but I can't tell you how many times I managed to do some of those rides. To me it was a fine tradeoff.

We were there for almost a week which at least back then, was a long time for the two parks so I didn't feel too bad about it but today, with a young child, a partner not as crazy about doing things as I am, and older family members who just can't handle that kind of a day, I completely understand why someone who wants to get the most out of their vacation for their family is up at midnight cracked out on Red Bull reading guides to the parks while waiting for the golden hour to get their fastpasses.

Is the problem FP+ putting people at the front of a 4 hour line who would not have waited in a 2 hour line for the same attraction if so much capacity wasn't being reserved for people to book with FP? Is it that overall visitors to the park have increased at a rate that they have not continued to build attraction capacity to support? Is it that they took too long of a break from e-tickets that people now don't hold great older rides in the same esteem as the much fewer new ones? Do people just have shorter attention spans these days? Is it a combination of these and other factors?

I don't know but given the state of things, I can understand why a bleary-eyed planner who booked a fastpass 64 days out and who was maybe up 'till 1am the night before going to the park, after a day in another park, getting ready for the next day well after their family was asleep who then is up at 6:30 in the morning to shower and finish preparing things before the rest of the family wakes up - maybe for EMH - might lose their guano when things blow up fantastically in their faces at the park when something like this happens.

I mean, we're all responsible for our own behavior but I can see why some people crack.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Blaming FP+ is such a weird leap in logic in this case.

I don't understand it. At all.

If there was no FP, you'd still have a bunch of people that were stuck in a hours long queue that won't get to ride and you'd still have a bunch of people that show up today expecting the attraction to be open when it isn't.

I just don't get how "Fire Alarm going off" equates to "FP+ is terrible".
FastPass is terrible but has nothing to do with what’s going on, I agree.

MrPromey

But but but what about the roving hippies that beat drums ?

Those, and a guy in a pretend mech suit, are what you trot out when you realize you've way oversold something and have brought in more guests than you have the capacity to handle as band-aids while you either quickly start working on something else permanent to handle things or (more likely) hope to ride out the public attention wave with while maintaining a high degree of profitability. :cat:

Driver

Well, not in public. Remember, a broken attraction needs no CMs manning it, just one or two out front to turn people away.
Hmmm, you're right about not needing manning. But the mouse is good to CM's in that way, they won't just send them home. I can't elaborate but I am speaking from personal experience. That is the one area that CM's will NOT be "abused" 😊

Tom P.

Lets just look at those terms of service that are part of every admission media purchase:

Parks, restaurants, attractions, recreation, FastPass+ selections, entertainment, and other products, services or items are subject to change without notice, cancellation, and may close temporarily due to rehabilitation, refurbishing, capacity, seasonal, inclement weather or special events and may otherwise change or be discontinued without notice and without liability to the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort. Ticket media is not valid for special or premium events or other activities which are separately priced. Admission entitlements are non-transferrable, not for resale, and must be used by the same person on any and all days. Age restrictions apply for access to certain facilities. Guests must be 21 years of age or older with valid proof of age to redeem alcohol entitlements.

It doesnt say that if Dumbo isnt spinning around in circles, you get a free premium Mickey Bar from Walt's Cryovault.
Man, Cryovault Mickey Bars are the best!

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
The idea of being at a park for rope drop and running through the hoard to get to something like Frozen in Epcot or staying until midnight to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine train is great for reasonably young adults not burdened with young children.

It becomes a much different situation when dealing with very young children who are kept up way past normal bedtime (and expected to wake early the next morning for the other end of the commando romp) and older family members who can't move as quickly and can't handle the all-day death march approach to visiting parks, either.

I see this from both sides. In my early 20's I went to Disneyland in CA with extended family. The absolute best time I had was when we got separated and I got to do most of that park by myself for almost a complete day. I had huge horrible blisters on my feet and my legs were burning but I can't tell you how many times I managed to do some of those rides. To me it was a fine tradeoff.

We were there for almost a week which at least back then, was a long time for the two parks so I didn't feel too bad about it but today, with a young child, a partner not as crazy about doing things as I am, and older family members who just can't handle that kind of a day, I completely understand why someone who wants to get the most out of their vacation for their family is up at midnight cracked out on Red Bull reading guides to the parks while waiting for the golden hour to get their fastpasses.

Is the problem FP+ putting people at the front of a 4 hour line who would not have waited in a 2 hour line for the same attraction if so much capacity wasn't being reserved for people to book with FP? Is it that overall visitors to the park have increased at a rate that they have not continued to build attraction capacity to support? Is it that they took too long of a break from e-tickets that people now don't hold great older rides in the same estime as the much fewer new ones? Do people just have shorter attention spans these days? Is it a combination of these and other factors?

I don't know but given the state of things, I can understand why a bleary-eyed planner who booked a fastpass 64 days out and who was maybe up 'till 1am the night before going to the park, after a day in another park, getting ready for the next day well after their family was asleep who then is up at 6:30 in the morning to shower and finish preparing things before the rest of the family wakes up - maybe for EMH - might lose their guano when things blow up fantastically in their faces at the park when something like this happens.

I mean, we're all responsible for our own behavior but I can see why some people crack.

My sentiments exactly. When I was younger and without offspring to drain me of my youth and stamina (just kidding!...but not really) I was at the parks all day and night. I remember those good ‘ol days that EMH at the MK were until 2 or 3 am, and we were out there late. But now with young kids, I can’t expect them to wait in line for hours and/or get out too early or stay late just for the sake of a ride. So FP is my friend...if it all goes to plan. That means I have to plan the 60 days plus out for my traveling party if certain E-ticket attractions are on the to-do list. And if the ride goes down on something that we had only planned for one specific day, it’s going to be disappointing, especially if we had a small window planned for it. So would I be upset-yes. Demand compensation-no. But, if others get upset, I surely understand.

I went on FoP last week with my older son, while my husband stuck around with our younger one-we had FPs for it. When it was my husband’s turn to ride it, FoP was down and he was automatically given a FP to choose any experience he wanted for that day or the next. So without asking, he was given the opportunity to use the FP for something else (plus, FoP isn’t his favorite so no big deal)

To others that have said they had no issue getting FPs the day or two prior, that’s some mighty luck. Last Sept., I went out to WDW with a friend and we were there for 3.5 days. We had zero luck getting FPs for FoP at around 30 days out, up until the day of our trip, and during our stay. We looked often and just couldn’t snag FPs for the two of us. We did rope drop too, but FoP was down from the beginning and for hours afterwards so we left the line not wanting to chance it, waiting for the remote possibility of it opening up for the day. Whatever is going on there doesn’t seem like an isolated incident, and I think that seems to get people riled up

Last edited:

HwdStudio

I think some people who are blessed to be able to visit often forget some people get one day in a given park every year. Or two. Or lifetime. Of course they're going to be disappointed. And at Disney prices, they probably are going to expect some sort of compensation. Not everyone has an AP. Not everyone is even on a multi day ticket. Some people actually do pay full price for single day tickets. So yes, high prices bring high expectations. .

Entirely a problem of Disney's making. In the past, FP machines would have shut down and stopped distributing FPs when the ride went down. Now people are up at the crack of dawn (or before) to schedule these rides.
You just can’t get over the loss of the old FP system can you?

drizgirl

It's because it's the party line. Give it time and someone will blame ESPN, before that it was Shanghai. Surprised it hasn't gone to the classic Uni vs Disney as fire alarms may never go off in Diagon Alley or something. It's nonsense.
#ThanksFP+

How's that? ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, not in public. Remember, a broken attraction needs no CMs manning it, just one or two out front to turn people away.

Hi, Jill, it's Evan, you don't have to come into work today.

Why is that?

We plan to pretend Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey has some sort of tech problem. The savings on not staffing them for the day will be great for the bottom line.

Won't you have huge crowds angry at you? A lot of people planned their day around riding Flight of Passage.

Sure, but that's Customer Service's problem. They'll probably hand out day-passes to mollify them.

Isn't handing out thousands of day-passes going to cost more than the savings on not staffing the rides? Won't that actually hurt the bottom line?

. . . .

Evan?

. . . . Oh shshsh....

Evan?

I gotta go! I gotta call Bob! Bye!

Walt d

Lots of issues at AK today. Both pandora attractions down since 3:30pm and we just watched families get evaced off Primeval Whirl. Huge line at Guest Relations which is moving ridiculously slow just making people more annoyed.
yeah looks like there was a tornado went through there that tree is all twisted real funny looking, they should get some tree trimmers there. Cant Believe they let those trees grow so out of shape. To one will want to be there..View attachment 280572

disney4life2008

What if you had paid for a one-day ticket to DAK for today for a family of 4? What is that with the taxes? Close to $500. (And yes people buy one-day tickets) You would be ok with that? You wouldn't go to GS?

Just saying but who in their right mind would do that? Magic Kingdom is the only park worthy of a one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom